No More Blue Belt Questions!!!

iclimb513 said:
I thought blue belt was a big deal - until I got mine. Then I realized it's really not. It's kind of just the "encouragment" belt.

"Yeah you come to class regularly, you try hard, you sort of know what you're doing - here you go"

Basically anyone can get one eventually. Purple belt is where things really shake themselves out. It takes more than just good attendence and trying hard. You actually have to have some skill.

Have to dissagree with this, Blue belt around hear set you at a a basic instructor level with good working and operational knowledge of the majority of bjj techs. Havent really ever seen a shit blue belt.

Oktavius said:
Get a life.

Well, thank you for that tip. Maybe I should get a life indeed. I'll try it later this week.

I just don't think a blue belt in BJJ is much of an accomplishment. A purple belt on the other hand is. Like many have said here, the blue belt is something you will get if you just attend classes and train regularly. Not much of an accomplishment to me. Although it is a great start on this long and rocky road that we call jiu-jitsu. Get my point?

funny you mention that,

but have you heard this?

there is a big gap between a white belt and a blue belt.
small difference between a purple belt and blue belt.
big difference between a brown and purple belt.
and small diffference between brown and black belt.

iclimb513 said:
I thought blue belt was a big deal - until I got mine. Then I realized it's really not. It's kind of just the "encouragment" belt.

"Yeah you come to class regularly, you try hard, you sort of know what you're doing - here you go"

Basically anyone can get one eventually. Purple belt is where things really shake themselves out. It takes more than just good attendence and trying hard. You actually have to have some skill.

Agreed.

VampireMonk said:
funny you mention that,

but have you heard this?

there is a big gap between a white belt and a blue belt.
small difference between a purple belt and blue belt.
big difference between a brown and purple belt.
and small diffference between brown and black belt.

wow it took me 1 year to get a blue belt.

took me 5 years to get a purple.

with this reasoning will I need another 5 years to get a brown?

You can buy a blue belt (or any colored belt) from Centuryfitness.com for $4.99 (U.S.). Enjoy!
A Satin Black Belt will run you $24.99, though. That's why there are not as many BJJ black belts - cost too much.

I got a blue belt question

How much weight difference can a new blue belt handle against a heavier person with no background in grappling? Say your a 150 lb new blue belt. Can he handle a 200 lb untrained guy?

VTJas81 said:
I got a blue belt question

How much weight difference can a new blue belt handle against a heavier person with no background in grappling? Say your a 150 lb new blue belt. Can he handle a 200 lb untrained guy?

Most likely

Back