No More Blue Belt Questions!!!

Delbjj

Green Belt
Reaction score
I am fucking sick of the following threads:

Am I ready for my blue belt?

How long to get my blue belt?

Is there a test for blue belt?

Shut the fuck up and train. This should be in the stickies, I see one of these threads every week.

On the other hand, I really like the "I just got my blue belt" threads. It's a notable accomplishment.

Most definatly, be proud of your accomplishments. I was very excited to get my blue belt.

vanguard_anon said:
On the other hand, I really like the "I just got my blue belt" threads. It's a notable accomplishment.
Exactly.. guys are eager to learn and when they reach a achievement they just want to share and get recognition... I dont see a problem with it.... a pat on the back doesnt hurt anyone.

Yeah. Once I get my blue belt, I'll be sure to be making a post about it.

But I certainly wouldn't ask a bunch of strangers that I've never met on a message board if I'm ready for my belt, or if my club tests me for it.

I thought blue belt was a big deal - until I got mine. Then I realized it's really not. It's kind of just the "encouragment" belt.

"Yeah you come to class regularly, you try hard, you sort of know what you're doing - here you go"

Basically anyone can get one eventually. Purple belt is where things really shake themselves out. It takes more than just good attendence and trying hard. You actually have to have some skill.

iclimb513 said:
I thought blue belt was a big deal - until I got mine. Then I realized it's really not. It's kind of just the "encouragment" belt.

"Yeah you come to class regularly, you try hard, you sort of know what you're doing - here you go"

Basically anyone can get one eventually. Purple belt is where things really shake themselves out. It takes more than just good attendence and trying hard. You actually have to have some skill.
This is true.

"BJJ has the tendancy of weeding people who shouldn't be there, out."

I have a question.
I was going to start a thread about it, but you guys seem to know about this grappling stuff.
I have seen nearly all the UFCs, and I can do that armbar thing Hoyce does on all my brothers when we wrestle.

ClubberLange said:
I have a question.
I was going to start a thread about it, but you guys seem to know about this grappling stuff.
I have seen nearly all the UFCs, and I can do that armbar thing Hoyce does on all my brothers when we wrestle.
Blue? I was thinking purple.

ClubberLange said:
Not until I see all the Prides too me thinks. Then I'm gonna try out for ADCC
My bad. I thought Pride got you brown.

iclimb513 said:

I dont take it as that big of a deal, but still. It is an accomplishment that took you 6-24 months of your life.. Of dilligent work.... Its doesnt make you the man, but is a badge of your progression.

I agree. Asking "when" or "how" to get your blue belt shows that you are focusing on the wrong thing.

I don't think anyone would deny wanting to be a higher rank, as it shows your dedication, your improvement in skill, and its nice to feel rewarded and proud, but focusing solely on ways to achieve this rank is not a positive thing. Just go to class, and try to better yourself every time. I think this is the same mentality that leads to people counting rolling as a figurative win or loss in their mind.

Just work hard, learn as much as possible, and focus only on improving, not about "when" you get your belt. If you are serious about grappling, you plan to be in it for a long time, so there is no rush.

You'll get it when you deserve it.

I've been training bjj for 3 years, and got no belt.
What's point besides in tournaments?
uh
nothing! Just to show other people, and to "know where u at"

vanguard_anon said:

I really don't like them. It really isn't a notable accomplishment.

Delbjj said:
Shut the fuck up and train. This should be in the stickies, I see one of these threads every week.

It is in the stickies.

Eilertso said:
uh

wow...I feel bad for you......you need a pat on the back

Eilertso said:
uh
Then you train submission grappling, not BJJ.

A blue belt in BJJ - hell, any belt in BJJ - is an accomplishment.

I can understand people eager to get their blue belts,
but what I dislike is those who think they deserve it or
that they are at that level already, so few of them are.
And it's not just about butt kicking.

however I do have to admit that I was also wrongfully was one of those people
who felt that I was a blue belt or purple belt long before I ever got my blue belt!

VampireMonk said:
however I do have to admit that I was also wrongfully was one of those people
who felt that I was a blue belt or purple belt long before I ever got my blue belt!

When I roll with my friends I feel like that. When I roll with my instructor, he makes me feel like a shit stain. He is a great guy but his jiu jitsu is too good.

Back