No Gi or Gi?

EPT said:
I'd expect that too, but i have seen street fights where one guy will rip his shirt off before fighting, so i'd think that if you're grappling for self defence it would be best to do both.
That is the strangest thing to me. I mean unless the dude expects gi chokes to be used against him, why take off your shirt? If I was fighting someone, I'd jump on them right when they tried that. Just like in wrestling: when the other guy stands up to adjust his head gear, I always shoot in. If you catch them with it over their head, then they can't see and you have the advantage.

Oh man. They are both beneficial in different ways.

I'd expect that too, but i have seen street fights where one guy will rip his shirt off before fighting, so i'd think that if you're grappling for self defence it would be best to do both.
Oh yea and lmao at anyone who does this. What are they going to flex me to death?

for self defence it does not matter if you do gi or not. MMA is a whole different matter but for self defence? it simply does not matter

Gi grappling is cool and the judo throws using the Gi are beautiful, but I prefer no-Gi and train 95% of the time with no-Gi simply because in an MMA fight I won't be wearing the gi and most likely neither will my opponent. Plus I feel more comfortable grappling without the gi rather than vice-versa. But this is just me. I don't knock others for using the Gi if that's what they prefer. It's all about open-mindedness.

However, I do disagree with the idea that training with the gi will make you a better grappler without the gi. That doesn't make sense to me.

Mark Allen said:
search function: gi or no gi

I like how people pretend to be helpful with this stuff and look like they know what they're talking about.

Try searching for and combination of those words and you'll get no results, because they're all too short.

However, I do disagree with the idea that training with the gi will make you a better grappler without the gi. That doesn't make sense to me.

Yea that's what i thought untill i spoke to a good friend and a very accomplished grappler and he sat me down and explained to me why the gi improves your game. Anyhow, who cares unless you are going to grapple for a living? I just like the gi game because i know i would be able to be more competitive when I get older if me and my opponent have gi's on.

Frodo said:
That is the strangest thing to me. I mean unless the dude expects gi chokes to be used against him, why take off your shirt?

It's to look tough, I really don't think there is any other tactical reason these guys are doing it.
A guy ripping off his shirt and acting irrational is going to appear to be more scary than the calm guy.

EPT said:
It's to look tough, I really don't think there is any other tactical reason these guys are doing it.
A guy ripping off his shirt and acting irrational is going to appear to be more scary than the calm guy.
True. Sometimes it is scarier when the calm dude starts talking about maiming the other person; see: Luke Cummo on TUF... ;) Although I perfer fighting to the pain:
Westley said:
"To the pain," means the first thing you lose will be your feet below the ankles, then your hands at the wrists, next your nose. The next thing you lose will be your left eye, followed by the right. Your ears you keep, and I'll tell you why. So that every shriek of every child at seeing your hideousness will be yours to cherish, every babe that weeps at your approach, every woman who cries out: "Dear God, what is that thing?" will echo in your perfect ears. That is what "to the pain" means. It means I leave you in anguish, wallowing in freakish misery, forever.
But you are right, of course.

HATE the gi, wish there was a decent camp by me that practiced strickly no gi

Both more gi than no gi but the ratio changes depending on competitions.

EPT said:

try fighting a hockey player, they're first instinct is to grab your collar and start throwing haymakers with their other hand, or to try and jersey you. Or what if you're fighting a judoka? or a BJJ player? You don't know who these guys are.
I always take my shirt off in a fight just in case, one less tool for them to use.

rory_44 said:
try fighting a hockey player, they're first instinct is to grab your collar and start throwing haymakers with their other hand, or to try and jersey you. Or what if you're fighting a judoka? or a BJJ player? You don't know who these guys are.
I always take my shirt off in a fight just in case, one less tool for them to use.

True, plus i you live in the South (Fl, GA, TN, AL) or out west (CA, NV, NM), most people don't wear coats. Hard to do a good throw or gi choke on a guy wearing a t-shirt or wifebeater...

Maybe if you live in Siberia, Alaska or England, Gi grappling is more applicable...

Try fighting a hockey player; their first instinct is to grab your collar and start throwing haymakers with their other hand or to try and jersey you. Or what if you're fighting a judoka? Or a BJJ player? You don't know who these guys are.
I always take my shirt off in a fight just in case: one less tool for them to use.
You are correct. However, I doubt I would be that rational in a real street fight! :icon_twis I'd also be wary of making a fool out of myself and getting caught. :icon_lol: Fortunately, I have been able to avoid most street fights. I have been in just one and that was in middle school (not even much of a fight at that). So I certainly admit I don't know what I'm talking about!

You take your shirt off to fight on the street, man you guys are too much.

i don't like the gi.. i predominatly train for mma and afer doing gi sesions you go for things that aren't there in a no gi environment.

Back