No Gi or Gi?

Throwin'Bolos

White Belt
Reaction score
I was wondering how many of the grapplers here at Sherdog roll strictly no gi, strictly gi, or a combination. I train no gi for MMA. You guys that use a guy, do u also train for MMA?

I hate the gi, I feel like I'm wearing a straight jacket. I train no-gi and wrestling.

I train both...At my Gym we kid of adjust for upcomming events...If some of the guys have mma fights comming up we train twords that...If there is a Gi tourney we train twords that...

Both. Ratios depend on what sort of competitions I have coming up/ How clean my gis are.

the top three guys at the Abu Dhabi in 2005 were all gi players.
Roger Gracie
Jacare
Marcello Garcia.

I think the results speak for them self.
I think roger had something like 12 fights.. maybe more. thats alot for one day.. damn that would be tough.
He won his division, and absolute.

I train gi and no-gi regularly. Mostly gi though, but right now we're doing 100% no-gi, because my instructor is hosting a tournament soon.

I train both, but prefer no gi.

If you are training strictly for MMA, I see no reason to train with a gi. Unless of course no gi isnt an option. Why train spider guard, collar chokes, etc. if you can't use them?

Some guys at my school who fight MMA train no gi, even on days when 95% of the class is in a gi. It makes sense to me & the instructor is cool with it.

Shogun, Elvis, and Wanderlei all train gi....

But i can understand why guys dont like it.. its tough, and uncomfortable...

Its like wearing ankle weights when training basketball..

no gi - 7 times a week
gi - 3 times a week (until this past August, now 0 and replaced with one of the mma classes and muay thai)
mma -2 times a week

I didn't drop the gi training from like/dislike...just the cost and time of a 40 mile trip. I still compete gi. If they were in equal circumstances (time/money/partners), I'd probably train 50/50.

I train both gi and no gi. I actually prefer the gi because I find it more challenging and cleaner. I'm not that big of a fan of rolling with sweaty people, and the gi helps with that.

The place I'm going to now has gi only, I believe. I'll check if I can go to class without a gi sometime and try that out.

Soulfly said:
The place I'm going to now has gi only, I believe. I'll check if I can go to class without a gi sometime and try that out.
way to make waves and fuck things up. j/k

i go in waves like ill do gi intense for like 2 months then no gi for 2 then back to gi.. it improves my game sooo much

I train both, i beleive tere's advantages to doing both

Both but usually gi. I would expect an assailant in the street to wear clothes.

Foul Breath said:
Both but usually gi. I would expect an assailant in the street to wear clothes.

I'd expect that too, but i have seen street fights where one guy will rip his shirt off before fighting, so i'd think that if you're grappling for self defence it would be best to do both.

Agreed. But I live where its very cold. If someone ripped of their shirt before a fight, the cold would get him before the other guy. I guess each has to train for their environment. In your case both would be the best.

Back