No Gi Guard Sweeps

Cubano786

White Belt
Reaction score
Okay fellas, been doing the No-Gi thing for close to a year now and am having big trouble executing sweeps from the guard. Mainly, the obvious is getting a good grip for no-gi sweeps. What are your top 3 sweeps from the guard? Any useful pointers are appreciated.

Thanks

Uber basic - trap his leg w/ yours, pull that same side shoulder down and bridge up and over.

Basic elevator - butterfly guard, lift him up, drop one leg and follow on over.

Pointer... if he's staying down on you, stretch him out. Make him and yourself as long and narrow as possible and sweeping/rolling will come much more naturally. Helps if you can trap whatever limb he's posting w/ too. Also... not just from guard, but all sweeps, it can help a TON to get their weight leaning one way by faking going after something and then reversing direction when they aren't expecting.

1. That sweep I don't know the name of. Imagine you're in half-butterfly. You lift your hook up slightly. This lets you grab his hooked ankle with your hook-side hand. Your other arm digs under his unhooked leg. Pull his hooked leg towards you with your hand while you push it away with your shin. He gets swept backwards. I also do this one from butterfly if he gets into a combat base to avoid the hook sweep. If he gives me trouble, I'll switch to more normal x-guard or a leglock.

2. Butterfly guard hook sweep. Instead of a overhook on one side, I prefer to grab his wrist and push it between our bodies.

3. Armdrag, take the back. This is only at 3 because I don't really think of it as a sweep. It's more of a submission attempt the way I do it, but it frequently ends up with a sweep as the net result. This is my favorite/best move to turn the tables on a bigger/stronger/better top player in my guard.

The main thing is just to keep trying for them. Sweeps are hard, particularly if you're small or your opponent has good base (wrestlers are particularly hard to sweep). Also, they don't work in isolation unless you have your opponent WAAAY outclassed. You attempt a butterfly sweep, it catastrophically fails, you have to be prepared to immediately switch to something else. X-guard, leglock, whatever. Practice dealing with the things your opponents commonly do to counter your sweeps. I guarantee that they are giving up SOMETHING with every counter they do.

My go-to sweep has always been the Scissor sweep. I usually execute it from the collar and elbow tie up in my guard.

The pendulum sweep is pretty good. It's my favorite sweep, and it works great in no gi cause so many people will standup and give you the underhook on the leg.

I love the hip bump and pendulum sweep. Sometimes I can get an armdrag or giftwrap to the back, but no one will give up that without a fight.

I have no luck with this sweep no gi

Drilling the set up helped me a lot with the scissor sweep. Getting that hip-out and scissor motion all timed right took me a while. I practiced just keeping the grip and getting my hips and legs in position quickly with my body tucked in. once you feel good there, add pulling your body back and the scissors with the legs. As you finish it (moving your body back) keep your grip and arms tight to break their posture all the way

Thanks for the pointers fellas. I'm gonna try a few tomorrow, namely the gift wrap sweep.

Another question and I hope it doesn't sound dumb...What is a safe way of getting to butterfly guard from full guard? I see great guard sweeps from the butterfly guard but I rarely ever find myself in that position.

Thanks in advance:D

underhook sweep
chest-to-chest sweep

I was trying sweeps last night with mma gloves for the first time and couldnt do anything. I felt like it was my first day of jiu jitsu all over

Drilling the set up helped me a lot with the scissor sweep. Getting that hip-out and scissor motion all timed right took me a while. I practiced just keeping the grip and getting my hips and legs in position quickly with my body tucked in. once you feel good there, add pulling your body back and the scissors with the legs. As you finish it (moving your body back) keep your grip and arms tight to break their posture all the way

Thanks, I've just recently started training no gi and still having trouble with the transition from gi to no gi

I too like the hip bump and the pendulum. Here is another sweep variation from opem guard that works quite well when you get the hang of it.

<embed src="http://static.ning.com/bjpenn/widgets/video/flvplayer/flvplayer.swf?v=3.1.2%3A4415" FlashVars="config_url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bjpenn.com%2Fvideo%2Fvideo%2FshowPlayerConfig%3Fid%3D2022293%253AVideo%253A6833%26x%3DDxJohbquJ18fQYpi3M3JWbC3B85P3YXw&amp;video_smoothing=on&amp;autoplay=off" width="448" height="364" scale="noscale" wmode="transparent" allowScriptAccess="always" allowFullScreen="true" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer"> </embed> <br /><small><a href="http://www.bjpenn.com/video/video">Find more videos like this on <em>BJPENN.COM</em></a></small><br />

You can find this and about 7 other sweeps in the guard sweep section below

http://www.freebjjinstructionals.com/subpage4.html

We have 4 or so other sweeps we will be adding in a week or two when we do a big update of the site.

I have no luck with this sweep no gi

There is a great counter that I just learned when you do not get the scissor sweep...

Imagine having head and arm control, hipping out, getting your shin across his stomach, other foot the floor then he stays back or spreads his weight out so you cant get the sweep....from there quickly switch hands, let go of his outside arm that you were pulling and grab his other wrist. Pull his arm across his body and hold it with your bottom arm (the arm that you are laying on) He now has no post on the other side. Sit up and reach around his back and grab his lat/armpit. Now pull him back (the opposite way you were trying to scissor sweep him) as you lift your leg (that was hooked across his body) to flip him over. You easily end up in cross side. I fell in love with this sweep and I can't wait to put it into practice!

However my "go-to" is the pelvis sweep. Hip sweep/Uber whatever you guys call it. It seets up everything!!!! Kimura, Guillotine, Omoplata, Armbar, Straight arm lock, its amazing and very hard to lose position!!

If my opponent sits up in my guard, I like the hip heist sweep.

I also fake with the kimura attempt and then transition to kimura sweep.

Most of the time I use the elevator and butterfly sweep though.

Okay fellas, been doing the No-Gi thing for close to a year now and am having big trouble executing sweeps from the guard. Mainly, the obvious is getting a good grip for no-gi sweeps. What are your top 3 sweeps from the guard? Any useful pointers are appreciated.

Thanks

overhooks are key for sweeping someone from your gaurd.

secissior sweep is proably the best sweep for you to work with.

I use an underhook or overhook on my left side, using my left foot to lift the opponent. The details that are important are to ensure your head is lower than their head, sit out with your other leg so you fall to your right side and finally to control their left elbow with your right hand or arm. This never fails for me.

With the overhook you also have the option of shifting your weight beneath them, hooking inside their left leg with your right arm, bringing their weight on to you and then sweeping toward your left instead. You use this method if they post the opposite way to prevent the sweep.

I will try to get someone to film me tomorrow evening when I train. I am going to demonstrate this sweep.

Back