No-gi chokes from the top?

vanguard_anon said:
I get it. Maybe next time I get full mount on Fight_Song I'll give it a try. :)
maybe.

i'm going to resort to a lot of slamming from now on though. because it's entertaining and i might as well do my damage before i get gi choked 20 different ways. fucking gi. i took a bunch of people down yesterday, in and out of their guard and i'm like wtf.. getting gi choked and it's just them using the collar to give their forearm leverage into my larynx so it's not something i'd tap to it but it sucks ass nonetheless.

trying to initiate a takedown and the other guy is gripping on for dear life. that was fun. double edge sword of sucking.

In MMA an RNC is frequently finished from the top (top is not necessarily mount). You take mount, punch him in the face a few times, he goes belly down, you slap on the rnc while he's still belly-down --> no-gi choke from top.

UFChvwghtchamp said:
thats a gi choke

There is also a no-gi version. Been covered in threads a couple of times.

TaiKai Fighta said:
He isn't using the bottom person's shoulder to choke them, he is using his own elbow/forearm to choke them. The reason it is cupped on the opposite should is for stabilizing it and allowing you to use more force. Sorry to throw a wet towel on your joke.

:redface: my mistake , now wheres that fjkin edit button...

big red, paperslicer choke:

you are in sidemount or knee on belly. for the sake of explaination, this description is from the basic sidemount position on your opponent's right side, with your left arm behind his neck and right arm underhooking his far (left) arm, hands clasped in back. take your right arm out from the underhooked position, put it palm facing up on your opponent's chest, and slide it to your left hand which is still around the back of his neck. grip your left hand with a monkey grip (no thumbs), your left palm is facing down, your right palm facing up. your arms will be at, roughly, a 90 degree angle now - with your right forearm running down his chest. now try to touch your right elbow to your left elbow (forearms make a paperslicer type movement) and rotate towards north south ( can't go that far without losing the grip with no gi) while dropping your weight down and making thepaper slicer movement with your forearms, you are choking his between your forearms.

edit: personally, i dont set it up by putting my right forearm on his chest because its too eay to block. i slip it in by bringing it towards my own stomache, then slipping my hand past his right shoulder and directly over his throat. either way, your will finish with both your elbows by his right shoulder.

does this make sense to you?

colinm said:
big red, paperslicer choke:

you are in sidemount or knee on belly. for the sake of explaination, this description is from the basic sidemount position on your opponent's right side, with your left arm behind his neck and right arm underhooking his far (left) arm, hands clasped in back. take your right arm out from the underhooked position, put it palm facing up on your opponent's chest, and slide it to your left hand which is still around the back of his neck. grip your left hand with a monkey grip (no thumbs), your left palm is facing down, your right palm facing up. your arms will be at, roughly, a 90 degree angle now - with your right forearm running down his chest. now try to touch your right elbow to your left elbow (forearms make a paperslicer type movement) and rotate towards north south ( can't go that far without losing the grip with no gi) while dropping your weight down and making thepaper slicer movement with your forearms, you are choking his between your forearms.

edit: personally, i dont set it up by putting my right forearm on his chest because its too eay to block. i slip it in by bringing it towards my own stomache, then slipping my hand past his right shoulder and directly over his throat. either way, your will finish with both your elbows by his right shoulder.

does this make sense to you?

Thanks mate, very well described. I have a good vision of what you described, if I'm correct your pushing the back of his neck forward whilst your forearm chokes them?

If I've got that correct thanks, if not, I'm slow..:)

vanguard_anon said:
I'm not sure how to do an Ezekiel without using my own sleeve.

say you have the crossface with the right arm. you would normally grab your left sleeve to apply the choke, as you know. instead place your right hand in the bend of your elbow, place your left fist on their neck and aply pressure. you are basically folding your arms with their head in the middle. it works fairly well. i used it use it a fair amoutnt in no gi, but i rarely mount people anymore so i haven't use it much lately.

i keep hearing about a "forearm choke". I know the paper slicer, triangle, and some others. I may know what a forearm choke is as well, but I may know of it under another name. I know Kimo has used it several times recently.

Can somebody explain a NO Gi "forearm choke"????

there's also the fist choke, where you squeeze their neck between your fist and your biceps. I'm not sure if this is the same as the no gi ezequiel.

you got the triangle from mount or side control.

I really love this new choke a guy from our school showed us. He learned it at renzo's school and it's like an upside arm-striangle from the side control. extremely nice.

arm scissor choke?? i don't know the proper name for it, but you put your palms together and squezze your elbows toogether while having his head trapped between,

^^^^I usually hear that "arm scissor choke" referred to as a "baseball bat choke".

sha said:
there's also the fist choke, where you squeeze their neck between your fist and your biceps. I'm not sure if this is the same as the no gi ezequiel.

It's a different choke and I've not seen a name for it. I use it when I can't get the full ezequiel and originally picked it up from stick grappling (with a stick not empty handed).

From top half guard when your opponent gets the underhook and is hipping out you can get the brabo choke. That's how I was subbed at NAGA. It sucks cause I thought I was doing things right...

You could always use the patented hackney knuckle choke he used versus Jo Son.

Back