No Gi BJJ Belts

BJJ=Gi....if you just train no-gi, you are training in submission grappling (not that there's anything wrong with that).

my school is just in the process of starting to hand belts out for no gi and i think its a good idea if only to guage a students progression.

i undersatand that its probably not for the purest's but i'm closing in on my Blue belt and i think i'll be very proud whren i do achive it

I don't really have a problem with it at all as long as they don't carry over into the gi rankings because god knows it is more than just a little different.

I went to a kickboxing gym years ago. They also taught shotokan karate. They way they worked it was that they had karate belts and kickboxing belts. The karate belts carried over to the Kickboxing but not the other way. If you did karate you kickboxed as well but all ot guys only did kickboxing did have the karate requirements.

That maybe a solution. Have no gi belts and BJJ belts with the BJJ belts carrying over to no gi but not vice versa. Just a thought.

We train no-gi and our school and we still promote our students in the same way. If you are talking about a no-gi school I would assume it is the same belt system as in traditional BJJ. I have not heard anything different.

While i think it sounds fine for blue belts, could you imagine a no-gi only blackbelt?

I'm in a MMA club for BJJ, so also no belts. I don't really see the use for them in any case.

They're becoming outmoded in judo too - no one cares anymore, and they don't have belt divisions to separate competitors, but tournament levels (local, regional, national, international C, B, A etc). If you enter a local tournament you're going to be up against recreational guys who aren't particularly good, or are too old or out of shape to compete in higher level tournaments etc (they might be 4th dans or yellow belts, but they're not going to be good competitors). If you enter a nationally rated tournament you're going to be up against guys who are pretty serious no matter what their belts are (ie you might get a nationally ranked wrestler interested in trying judo wearing a white belt). To get to international tournaments for the most part you have to be on a national team ...

I think this makes a lot more sense than the belt divisions judo used to have, and BJJ has. For a start, there's no possibility of sandbagging - if you enter a high level tournament that's the level of competition you're facing. If you enter a low level tournament and win it gives you no credibility, because everyone knows that winning "the local Y tournament" means you've beaten guys who work out once or twice a week for an hour (ie your typical guy with a family and job), and so better competitors don't bother. Of course you get guys who aren't competitive entering tougher competitions just to see how they're doing (nothing wrong with that), but they're usually seeded against top guys at the start and don't get far.

I suspect BJJ and submission levels will give up on belt or experience levels in a few years as well, just because its so impractical to maintain a standard ... you have blue belts from some clubs with more experience than purple's from others. Eventually its just not worth the trouble trying to standardize it.

Honestly, BJJ, to me, is a means to a solid MMA foundation. I love BJJ, believe me, but Im looking at BJJ through the lens of an MMA fighter.

At least Im not training in 'MMA'. :icon_lol:

Back