No Gi BJJ Belts

krazyj

White Belt
Reaction score
So whats the deal with no Gi BJJ belts?

The whole no gi has evolved as of late with MMA and all, am I correct? How has BJJ adapted to this in terms of belting?

I'm not aware of this belt system you are speaking of. I think it is like thai in that regard the belt you wear is the one you get from winning(except it is usually a medal/trophy but w/e).

Well I guess a better way to put it is how does BJJ rank with No Gi? Are there belts, still? Like, it is traditional to receive belts in no gi?

Depends on where you train, I've heard of some places still doing belts even if the training is exclusive to no-gi but I'm pretty sure places like that are pretty rare. Most schools will probably want you to do at least half of your training in a gi.

I think some schools are inventing ways to incorporate belts into no-gi, but for the most part you'll have to wear the gi if you want a belt. You couldn't very well have a BB in BJJ and not know a collar choke.

ive heard chris brennens school does that as well as of course eddie bravo at 10th planet

i think Renzo's is gonna req that you wear a specific rash guard that you buy from them that has your rank on your sleeve, this is recently tho

i think Renzo's is gonna req that you wear a specific rash guard that you buy from them that has your rank on your sleeve, this is recently tho

Cha-Ching!

No need belt.

Belt only hold up pants.

You remember focus and balance. Concentrate. You make good fight.

Well I guess a better way to put it is how does BJJ rank with No Gi? Are there belts, still? Like, it is traditional to receive belts in no gi?

I train at an MMA gym, so we do no gi almost exclusively. I know the instructor awards belts because one time he was like, "Hey be sure to congratulate Lou, he's our newest blue belt. I've never seen anyone wear a belt or even mention belts except for that one occassion.

No Gi is essentially submission wrestling, so I don't think it should have belts.

Even if you train exclusively nogi you can use the "belt" system to maintain some semblance of order.

So you never where a gi or belt, but when asked you say "I'm a purple belt, but train nogi only"

Now I have a pretty good idea about how good you are and what your game is like (intermediate to advanced player with about 4-7 years training, probably better than avg. wrestling), and I also know not to let you train with my white belts without warning them and you about the difference in skill level

There is no way you should get rank in BJJ without knowing the gi techniques too. That means you should train in the gi too. Purely no-gi ranks are totally separate from BJJ.

And don't say there aren't ranks in wrestling. Team captains/Varsity players/JV players are also ranks. Hookers, shooters, and any kind of title is a rank. And like BJJ ranks, those are sometimes political and awarded for the wrong reasons. And like BJJ ranks, one shouldn't train to be a varsity wrestler or team captain. Instead, one should try to be the best wrestler they can be and try to be a varsity wrestler so they can compete again better opponents and win states (for example).

my school has a no gi belt system. outside of BJJ i see no real importance in belts. for some people they are a good way to gauge progress

Just train in the gi damn it. Stop making things difficult!

it would help with no gi competition. I hate all that 1-3 years training, 3-6 years training.

Is that 1- 3 years training 5 days a wekk of 1-3 years trainins 1 or twice a weeks.

A belt system would get round that and aid a competition based on technical ability rather than years you've been interested in the sport.

My school hands out no gi ranks but there are minimum required hours of gi training for rank.

Back