No Excuses or Anything: But I kinda got double sandbagged today at NAGA

CoutureFan16

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I'm not trying to make any excuses for getting second place (which isnt something to complain about) but for the second NAGA tournament in a row I was placed in a weight class higher than the one I belong. I weighed in today at 147, and was in the 150-160 division. Last time I was 157 and was with the 160-170's. But to offset this today they gave me a bye for the first couple of rounds, which was cool of them I guess, seeing as I was the lightest guy by far. Well anyway, won my first match so I was in the finals and then I go against a kid with 5 years grappling vs. my one year and also he has placed in the top 3 in advanced before, which means that according to NAGA he shouldnt be allowed to go back down to intermediate again, but they dont keep track of that stuff obviously, and ontop of all that Im outweighed. I know I prolly sound like a bitch for complaining about all this stuff it just pisses me off to get second all the time in a weightclass above mine when I could prolly win if I was where I should be. The only tournament where I was evenly matched I won first place, every other time I got thrown in with bigger/more experienced guys and got second. So yeah, I know I prolly sound like a bitch so keep the flaming to a minimum please.

Well, I mean man, who cares really. You did good, stop bitching. I rather get 2nd place in a weight division higher then roll with kids from tiger schulmans that say they are blues. Another thing I noticed is that people saying they were blues would be better matched in lower divisions because a lot looked a little on the weak side. You did great man, don't stress it, you weren't gonna win money.

Yeah I know Im bitching for nothing, second place is just getting old.

CoutureFan16 said:
Yeah I know Im bitching for nothing, second place is just getting old.
Then don't compete or train harder to get the first. You succeeded in representing your team and yourself.

I understand your complaint. They should really regulate it better as far as sandbaggers go.

Just be happy man. Training with people with more experience and weight can only help you.

Fight in the advanced division from now on, at least thos guys are honest about their skills. If you're fighting guys that are placing in advanced anyway you might as well just jump in the higher division.

Besides, I always thought that winning any division other than the most advanced just meant that you didn't challenge yourself.

If you can win the beginner division then you could hang with the intermediate guys, if you could win the intermediate then you could hang with the advanced guys.

I always thought wanting to win at a lower skill division was weak, I mean what are you going to say, "I'm the best intermediate guy"?

A bye to the semis? Yeah, that's not really much to complain about.
And I agree with what he said ^^^

the whole thing seems really weird and badly thought out by the promoters. you were given the bye to fight a guy who weighed more than you and was a fibnalist in a class division above you. that's giving that guy a huge advantage to take the whole thing. that's like them thwrowing you in to the finals against someone like cooper and saying well you got the bye's to the final. when what really happened was you didn't get a match to test your abilities or see how well you could do against someone of your supposed skill level. as far as winning meaning you are sandbagging, bullshit, it all depends on how competetive the match was. the person who can judge how it went are the two people in the contest.

i'd say that isn't the worst thing to get passed up on two matches. They might have weighted more, but they had two more matches. Which would be their bodies would already be partially depleated while yours would have been ready for action.

as for the sandbagger, hope he enjoys his victory over someone with 1/5th his time spent.

how did you lose anyway?

Naga system is crap, they have no control over anything. The refs call stupid ass calls. Somone pulled guard and got called for a takedown, wtf is that?

Shit happens dude. If know one shows up at your weight class, there really isn't much you can do about it. Plus they would have weighed like 10 pounds more than you at most? That really isn't a big deal at all. Also I'd be pissed about the bye to the semis. Especially at these lower levels, it is more about time on the mat not the medals. Because to me at least, placing doesn't mean shit unless you are at the highest skill division.

Weonlywonsixtwo said:
Naga system is crap, they have no control over anything. The refs call stupid ass calls. Somone pulled guard and got called for a takedown, wtf is that?

I competed last year in Hawaii and most competitions, including NAGAs, will award 2 points if you pull guard if someone is attacking you or going foward with a takedown. In other words if I have you with a head an arm and I go for a shoot and you jumped to guard then I get two points.

Not to say that the situation you are describing exactly fits the criteria but it is explained in the rules meeting in the beginning. That is why you have to attack then pull guard, NOT to lose two points.

As to the poster, I say good job and congrats. I usually compete in super heavy, double super heavy or open weight and know that I usually have an advantage over the smaller guys. I say you did great and it really sucks that you were kind of thrown into that situation.

I hate to win by points but will take it. I think the least amount of points I won by was 7 - 0. Another time, I competed in this event where I was a brand spanking new blue belt and I had to compete against a professional mma fighter who trained with Grappling Unlimited, Enson's brother's (Egan's) school. He had just won advanced no gi division sweeping the competition. He competed as a white belt against me a blue belt. A white belt mind you! When I asked the promoters how a professional mma fighter, who just won the no gi advanced division competes as a white belt I was told that GU does not use the gi and it was up to the competitor to decide what belt he was, sorry. I lost via kimura from the bottom and that really sucked!!! :icon_evil

jjmuaythaiguy said:
I competed last year in Hawaii and most competitions, including NAGAs, will award 2 points if you pull guard if someone is attacking you or going foward with a takedown. In other words if I have you with a head an arm and I go for a shoot and you jumped to guard then I get two points.

Not to say that the situation you are describing exactly fits the criteria but it is explained in the rules meeting in the beginning. That is why you have to attack then pull guard, NOT to lose two points.

As to the poster, I say good job and congrats. I usually compete in super heavy, double super heavy or open weight and know that I usually have an advantage over the smaller guys. I say you did great and it really sucks that you were kind of thrown into that situation.

I hate to win by points but will take it. I think the least amount of points I won by was 7 - 0. Another time, I competed in this event where I was a brand spanking new blue belt and I had to compete against a professional mma fighter who trained with Grappling Unlimited, Enson's brother's (Egan's) school. He had just won advanced no gi division sweeping the competition. He competed as a white belt against me a blue belt. A white belt mind you! When I asked the promoters how a professional mma fighter, who just won the no gi advanced division competes as a white belt I was told that GU does not use the gi and it was up to the competitor to decide what belt he was, sorry. I lost via kimura from the bottom and that really sucked!!! :icon_evil
Man that was such bullshit.

Soid said:
Man that was such bullshit.

Yes, it was. Thank you.

I still put those pictures of that match in my scrap book. After two minutes of trying, I actually got him down with a fake single leg grab to him pulling guard (2 points for me), then passed his guard (3 points for me). I had broken my toe in the no gi match and I could not maintain side control. Finally the pain in my toe got the better of me and I stopped moving to which this monster got the kimura from the bottom with 1 minute and 30 or so seconds for the win. FAWK!!!

jjmuaythaiguy said:
Yes, it was. Thank you.

I still put those pictures of that match in my scrap book. After two minutes of trying, I actually got him down with a fake single leg grab to him pulling guard (2 points for me), then passed his guard (3 points for me). I had broken my toe in the no gi match and I could not maintain side control. Finally the pain in my toe got the better of me and I stopped moving to which this monster got the kimura from the bottom with 1:30 ish left. FAWK!!!
At least you left at 1:30 I left around 6:30! No gi is really dangerous I saw some dude being carried away on a strecher, with a broken leg. I also met rolls, Igor, and gregor gracie.

Back