• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

NJSACB considering changes to weigh-in procedure

Weigh ins keep getting moved farther back. Next it will be 3 weeks prior.

I don't know much about the science behind concussions and dehydration and stuff, nor do I know if fighters (or some of them) would continue to cut weight even with weighins right before the fight. That said, from what I've heard on here it sounds like that might force the fighters into choosing between possibly giving up a weight advantage or having a higher risk of head trauma, no?

edit: plus with weight classes you'll always have some fighters cutting at least a tiny bit

So alter the policy. Make a 3 day weigh in. The fighters need to make weight 3 days in a row. Last weigh in is before they dress up and leave the dressing room to walk out.

I remember being a kid and learning about weight cutting in boxing. I was 9 years old and was thinking "wtf?...how did he weigh in at 153 yesterday and weighs in at 169 today?" Someone told me about the weight cutting and weigh-ins taking place the day prior to the fight. I didn't understand the logic behind this then and I still don't understand now.

Weight cutting is stupid. You should fight at your weight. Everyone cuts weight so you are forced to also to avoid the handicap. No different from PEDs.

It's never going away, it's more dangerous for fighters to try to do half measures like same day weighins, and it's too hard to regulate to get people to stop. They are better off weighing earlier and letting fighters fully recover. These guys already cut about as much as you possibly can so it's not like guys are going to be cutting too much more.

So alter the policy. Make a 3 day weigh in. The fighters need to make weight 3 days in a row. Last weigh in is before they dress up and leave the dressing room to walk out.

I remember being a kid and learning about weight cutting in boxing. I was 9 years old and was thinking "wtf?...how did he weigh in at 153 yesterday and weighs in at 169 today?" Someone told me about the weight cutting and weigh-ins taking place the day prior to the fight. I didn't understand the logic behind this then and I still don't understand now.

You realize guys are STILL going to cut and then someone is going to die.

It's never going away, it's more dangerous for fighters to try to do half measures like same day weighins, and it's too hard to regulate to get people to stop. They are better off weighing earlier and letting fighters fully recover. These guys already cut about as much as you possibly can so it's not like guys are going to be cutting too much more.

With that logic fighters should weigh in a week before their fight and have full time replenishment. That is even more dangerous because fighters will try their hardest to weigh in deadly underweight knowing that they have a full week to get huge and recover all their strength.

Same day weigh-ins and weight classes 10 pounds apart is the fix. They won't ever do it though because it will fuck up all champions and standings.

Weight cutting doesn't fix that. Blame the weight classes.

Actually, it does. But yes, lets have 50 weight classes instead.

Plus, we have to be realistic and know that if you are below a certain height for a weightclass you are pretty much doomed.

Why not just ban weight cutting over 15 pounds? Do what One FC is doing and monitor the fighters throughout training camp and out of competition to determine what there proper weight class is. Just allow for some liency.

God I hope the sport fully transitions to same-day weigh ins.

Weight cutting is stupid. You should fight at your weight. Everyone cuts weight so you are forced to also to avoid the handicap. No different from PEDs.
Exactly! Fight at your walk around weight or nothing! Weigh in's every month or so right up to a scale ringside with the "doctor". More than a 10lb fluctuation from a recorded baseline U go home! It's not rocket science! Weight cutting is Just another way of gaming a system and lets much bigger guys compete against smaller. 6'2 185 or 170lb's r U kidding? It just encourages freaks of nature and dehydration cheats to use them. It destroys the kidney's over time and just reeks of encouraging any non skill related advantage.

I like the earlier weigh-ins and before fight weight limit. The 8% rule seems alright I suppose.

Back