Nieky Holzken training Boxing with Jeff Mayweather for Glory 23

As for Nicky transitioning to boxing, eh..... I don't see any reason at this point in his career that he would/should consider doing that. I'm sure he could have some success, but not nearly at the level he did in kickboxing. That said, watching him on the mitts with both Jeff M and Pedro..... He'd be far better served IMO training with Diaz, stylistically speaking.

I definitely think that Holtzken has a better chance at doing something with boxing than Spong. I mean, Spong is a great athlete and has a lot of power, but he is not as fluid or intuitive.

I'd say the opposite, Spong's boxing is actually very good and IMO far more refined than Nicky's. Not to mention, Spong would be boxing in weight classes ( 175-200 cruiser, LHW) that would make it easier to move up in the ranking vs Nicky be in between the 154-168 weight classes, which is full of exceptionally talented fighters.

In short, Spong would have a better chance against a top 10 Cruiserweight than Nicky would vs a top ten Middleweight/Jr MW(154-160)........

I'd say the opposite, Spong's boxing is actually very good and IMO far more refined than Nicky's. Not to mention, Spong would be boxing in weight classes ( 175-200 cruiser, LHW) that would make it easier to move up in the ranking vs Nicky be in between the 154-168 weight classes, which is full of exceptionally talented fighters.

In short, Spong would have a better chance against a top 10 Cruiserweight than Nicky would vs a top ten Middleweight/Jr MW(154-160)........

CW is competitive as fuck at the moment with a murderers row of contenders and prospects.
Also Spong 100% can't make LHW and LHW would be horrible for him with beterbiev, Kovalev and Stevenson and he would have trouble getting gown to 200lbs CW which is as I said at the moment a really dangerous division.

Spong apparently had a hard time making 95kg for his Glory fights so making 90kgs would be very tough for him.
All of his boxing fights have been at HW.

Also Holzken is a SMW which isn't that tough at the moment with only Ward who might move up no idea why you think he should/would fight at MW or LMW

Definitely true about the weightclasses. Cruiserweight is a lot less stacked.

Hmm, I just feel Spong gets tagged to much and relies on his power. We'll see what happens. I'm a sucker for bodywork and pressure, and that is probably why I like Holtzken.

Definitely true about the weightclasses. Cruiserweight is a lot less stacked.

Hmm, I just feel Spong gets tagged to much and relies on his power. We'll see what happens. I'm a sucker for bodywork and pressure, and that is probably why I like Holtzken.

CW is not "much less stacked" than HW the fighters are obviously smaller but it's probably deeper in the top 15 than HW no it's most certainly a deeper division in the top 15 in HW you have guys like Joshua but they are still prospects while the prospects at CW are guys like Kudryashov who already has a win over Juan Carlos gomez by annihilating him in 1 minute.

And if you mean less stacked than SMW even then I'm not sure who is there at SMW beside Ward who is the elite of the elite but beside him? groves? badou Jack? SMW was much stronegr a few years ago. bute is finished, froch is retired, kessler is retired, Abraham is near the end and so on

As for Nicky transitioning to boxing, eh..... I don't see any reason at this point in his career that he would/should consider doing that. I'm sure he could have some success, but not nearly at the level he did in kickboxing.
Outside of a fight with Joseph Valtelini whom he already beat, the only possible matchup is a rematch against Artur Kyshenko who isn't signed with Glory. I think Holzken sees the writing on the wall. Kickboxing is barely alive. Long gone are the glory days of K-1.

Former Glory MW champ Marc DeBonte already made the jump:

[YT]z_snx6qIOYI[/YT]

CW is not "much less stacked" than HW the fighters are obviously smaller but it's probably deeper in the top 15 than HW no it's most certainly a deeper division in the top 15 in HW you have guys like Joshua but they are still prospects while the prospects at CW are guys like Kudryashov who already has a win over Juan Carlos gomez by annihilating him in 1 minute.

And if you mean less stacked than SMW even then I'm not sure who is there at SMW beside Ward who is the elite of the elite but beside him? groves? badou Jack? SMW was much stronegr a few years ago. bute is finished, froch is retired, kessler is retired, Abraham is near the end and so on

He wrote Middleweight/jr middleweight which is what I was referring to being a lot more stacked than CW.

Holzken wouldn't even be in the top 50 at SMW with a few years training. Its like saying one of the top 10 guys in boxing at SMW would be able to go into kickboxing and win a legit championship. Not going to happen.

Holzken wouldn't even be in the top 50 at SMW with a few years training. Its like saying one of the top 10 guys in boxing at SMW would be able to go into kickboxing and win a legit championship. Not going to happen.

Zack mwekassa isn't in the most stacked division but he he most likely top 10 in his division and he was not a top 10 boxer. He might not win a belt but he's at least likely to be fighting for the belt

Holzken is the #1 kickboxer at his weight and one of the very best boxers in kickboxing so why shouldn#t he have some success with really good matchmaking and a little bit of luck?

thais done it before, can't see a reason why Nieky isn't top 50 material.

Sherdogger ProBoxingInsidr got some great footage yesterday:

Besides GSP and Holzken I'm really impressed with the pad holding skills here.

Holzken really shows the difference of level in flow and technique variety in that bit of light sparring at the end.

gonna have to pull off that superman jab in training today just bc of this video lol

Holzken is just on another level doing those drills man.

thanks for the plug. here was nieky earlier in the week with Jeff Mayweather. of course this was just straight boxing

Buakaw really has nothing left to prove, he's 33 and he's been the best for years of reign... I don't blame him for being lackluster, but I do blame him for still trying to compete when he probably knows how much he doesn't care.

thais done it before, can't see a reason why Nieky isn't top 50 material.

So you're saying that a 31 year old Holzken as of right now, and in 2 or 3 years time will be 33/34, way past his prime can be top 50 in boxing at SMW?

Thats just being completely disrespectful to all the boxers who for 20 years have been trying to make the ranks. I would never disrespect all the professional kickboxers and say that a top 10 SMW who is in his 30s could suddenly make the switch to kickboxing and be top 50 at 170 in kickboxing in a few years. Its completely unrealisic.

I do both, I know how hard both sports are. Similar aspects but their still miles apart. If the kickboxer put in 10 years of solid boxing work I could see it. If a boxer put in 10 years of solid kickboxing work I could see it if somhow they were still near their primes.

I would never disrespect all the professional kickboxers and say that a top 10 SMW who is in his 30s could suddenly make the switch to kickboxing and be top 50 at 170 in kickboxing in a few years. Its completely unrealisic.

It isn't. Happens all the time with Muay Thai fighters who make the switch to boxing and fight for titles a couple fights in.

Nieky Doing some kickboxing style pad flow for hayabusa promo with GSP.

Still sharp as ever when he adds the kicks, his flow is unmatched in the kickboxing world. Looking forward to his boxing career, hopefully he gets good matchups and doesn't run into some monster in America.

thanks for the plug. here was nieky earlier in the week with Jeff Mayweather. of course this was just straight boxing

Goes to show that synchronicity in padwork has to be developed, and that padwork is not always an indicator of ability.

I would never disrespect all the professional kickboxers and say that a top 10 SMW who is in his 30s could suddenly make the switch to kickboxing and be top 50 at 170 in kickboxing in a few years. Its completely unrealisic.
It absolutely is realistic, and has happened in other weight classes. Both in Boxing and Kickboxing.

Back