Nieky Holzken training Boxing with Jeff Mayweather for Glory 23

FokaiMuayThai

MOO TAI LEGENDARY
@purple
Reaction score
[Yt]Ul96qgYAFUk[/MEDIA]

Thoughts? Impressions?

I think he seems a bit stiff and excited, but it also seems like they are just getting to know each other on the mitts.

He seemed a little too tight, Jeff said something about that early in the vid. I think he did pretty good, Nieky isn't used to this kind of padwork so it's natural he misses shots and such.

When he went to train with the Blackzillians he trained with Pedro Diaz (Rigo's coach):

Pedro worked more fighting off the back foot and pivoting.

wow in this interview Holzken says that he wants to switch to boxing full time and likes boxing more than kickboxing, that's big.

While i like boxing more as well its a bit sad because i like kickboxing too and he is one of my favourite kickboxers at the moment and one of the best fighters in Glory by far

[YT]K6MvKs7QLsw[/YT]

Boxing = $$$$

But I think Holzken might be a little to idealistic about his prospects earnings-wise.

Just because there is more money in boxing doesn't mean it is distributed anywhere near evenly. There are a ton of boxers and the talent pool is much deeper compared to kickboxing.

Will be interesting to follow nonetheless.

Depends on if he gets the right guy behind him he wants to switch to boxing as soon as he makes as much money boxing as he doesin kickboxing so it could take some time.

Yeah I'm also not sure if he can make that much money in boxing but we'll see and as long as he doesn't we'll see him fight in kickboxing anyway.

He won't make it anywhere in boxing.

He won't make it anywhere in boxing.

He's one of the best boxers in kickboxing probably the best behind Petrosyan but unlike Petrosyan he can punch.

If any kickboxer can do something in boxing it's Holzken.
And SMW is a pretty open division with no real monsters like at LHW beside Ward who might move up.

If he is really smart and gets the right people behind him then he could maybe fight for a title at some point.

Who has belts at SMW?
Badou Jack who's nowadays really improved but still no Andre Ward, maybe Groves beats Jack and groves is also good but inconsistent , Arthur Abraham is ancient, Ward might move up, god knows what Bute is doing and he seems done, Kessler has retired, Froch has retired,....
SMW is one of the divisions with the most potential someone like Holzken.

He's one of the best boxers in kickboxing probably the best behind Petrosyan but unlike Petrosyan he can punch.

If any kickboxer can do something in boxing it's Holzken.
And SMW is a pretty open division with no real monsters like at LHW beside Ward who might move up.

If he is really smart and gets the right people behind him then he could maybe fight for a title at some point.

Who has belts at SMW?
Badou Jack who's nowadays really improved but still no Andre Ward, maybe Groves beats Jack and groves is also good but inconsistent , Arthur Abraham is ancient, Ward might move up, god knows what Bute is doing and he seems done, Kessler has retired, Froch has retired,....
SMW is one of the divisions with the most potential someone like Holzken.

I just don't think he's good enough, I think the depth of talent in Boxing is just too great, even at current SMW. His head movement is just not up to standard, he has a lot to improve on. If he has good management they'll be able to get him to a crappy world title against the weakest champ out there but I doubt he'll be able to defend it even once.

I just don't think he's good enough, I think the depth of talent in Boxing is just too great, even at current SMW. His head movement is just not up to standard, he has a lot to improve on. If he has good management they'll be able to get him to a crappy world title against the weakest champ out there but I doubt he'll be able to defend it even once.

Even against the weakest champ a world title would be already a success I mean there are thousands of boxers at SMW alone and 99.99% of them won't ever get close to any major title.

If he wins it he will defend it it's basically the norm nowadays for any champ to make the first title defence vs a really overmatched opponent who is barely ranked highly enough to make it a voluntary defence.

if Holzken wins a title then he can consider his boxing career a success, easily, if you can say for yourself that you were the best kickboxer at your weight at one point and held a world title in boxing of any major organization then you had a great career.
yeah he will have to be matched properly though maybe fight against someone not so good fora vacant title when Abraham retires or something like that.

I don't think he'll ever be the #1 at SMW not even close but if he can become a legit top 10 guy and win a title through a well managed matchmaking then it would still be a success and he would make decent money with the right management. Not floyd money but at least as much as he makes in kickboxing

I think kickboxing has the lowest talent pool of of striking sports tbh, lots of kickboxers going to boxing and lots of older or retired boxers going to kickboxing.

The sports are too similar, kickboxing scoring is based on western boxing scoring.

If glory is getting stale for him, Holzken should take a few full Thai rules fights instead, just try to avoid clinching and find a way to deal with elbows, there are some promotions like Top King, Lion fight etc. that will take him, he could make money and still kick.

There's a long list of guys he could fight in Muay Thai if he's willing to vary his weight- Buakaw, Yod, french dudes.

His hands are good for kickboxing but going into boxing is throwing yourself into the sharktank with a huge wound on your leg.

If he ends up making bigger paychecks than he does at kickboxing, i'll be very surprised.

Hope he proves me wrong.

I think kickboxing has the lowest talent pool of of striking sports tbh, lots of kickboxers going to boxing and lots of older or retired boxers going to kickboxing.

The sports are too similar, kickboxing scoring is based on western boxing scoring.

If glory is getting stale for him, Holzken should take a few full Thai rules fights instead, just try to avoid clinching and find a way to deal with elbows, there are some promotions like Top King, Lion fight etc. that will take him, he could make money and still kick.

There's a long list of guys he could fight in Muay Thai if he's willing to vary his weight- Buakaw, Yod, french dudes.

His hands are good for kickboxing but going into boxing is throwing yourself into the sharktank with a huge wound on your leg.

If he ends up making bigger paychecks than he does at kickboxing, i'll be very surprised.

Hope he proves me wrong.

Holzken would make less money in Mt considerably less than he does in kickboxing even if he was the clear #1 in Mt at his weight he would make not close to as much money as he makes in kcikboxing being the #1. And at his weight there isn't anything to look forward to in MT. You really wanna see him fight 70kg Thais?

And Buakaw is done Holzken would beat him at this point and it wouldn't even take Holzken to beat him now.
Yod is good enough to even make a real fight against bigger guys but still who else is there?
Sittichai is now also with Glory.

Ronda looks better on the pads than him.

...I said ON PADS, Not IRL

(I'm not a fan of judging people's striking capabilities based on their padwork- it's so unreliable it's almost inverse indication for 80% of people/test subjects)

And Buakaw is done Holzken would beat him at this point and it wouldn't even take Holzken to beat him now.

What makes you think Buakaw is done? His off night against a Russian with a misleading pro record?

EDIT: This is the standup technique forum and i think maybe i'm derailing the thread, but i still would like to know what makes you think Buakaw is done.

What makes you think Buakaw is done? His off night against a Russian with a misleading pro record?

EDIT: This is the standup technique forum and i think maybe i'm derailing the thread, but i still would like to know what makes you think Buakaw is done.

It wasn't just an off night Buakaw has looked lackluster for a while now. He just doesn#t seem motivated and is even starting to show physical decline he's slower than he used to be and misleading record or not he wasn't fighting Holzken who probably even under full Mt rules would be a tougher fight at least with his size advantage.

Buakaw is only still fightig because his old camps screwed him over he obviously only keeps fighitng for the money.
everytime he fights he only does just as much as he has to, he doesnt look like he enjoys it anymore, you read stuff of him not really being that convincingin training and so on. Buakaw is done if he was serious then he would fight big names he makes no secret out of the fact that he needs money.

Even against the weakest champ a world title would be already a success I mean there are thousands of boxers at SMW alone and 99.99% of them won't ever get close to any major title.

If he wins it he will defend it it's basically the norm nowadays for any champ to make the first title defence vs a really overmatched opponent who is barely ranked highly enough to make it a voluntary defence.

if Holzken wins a title then he can consider his boxing career a success, easily, if you can say for yourself that you were the best kickboxer at your weight at one point and held a world title in boxing of any major organization then you had a great career.
yeah he will have to be matched properly though maybe fight against someone not so good fora vacant title when Abraham retires or something like that.

I don't think he'll ever be the #1 at SMW not even close but if he can become a legit top 10 guy and win a title through a well managed matchmaking then it would still be a success and he would make decent money with the right management. Not floyd money but at least as much as he makes in kickboxing

Yeah I suppose that is a success. But if I compare him to Sam Soliman I don't see him doing nearly as well. I think he'll be more of a Matt Skelton.

Yeah I suppose that is a success. But if I compare him to Sam Soliman I don't see him doing nearly as well. I think he'll be more of a Matt Skelton.

He'd make more money in kickboxing than as another Matt Skelton so I don't think he'd keep boxing if that happens.
Soliman is exactly that kind of overachiever who got the right title fights at the right time I think he shows that it's possible.

Not saying I'm sure that Holzken could do it maybe he'd only be another Matt Skelton and switches back to kickboxing but Holzken ist one of the top 3 best boxers in kickboxing and would compete in a division that is one of the weaker ones t the moment so if any kickboxer can do it it's Holzken.

Spong has also a chance of doing some things in boxing becase at HW everything is possible but he doesn't seem that commited and isn't as active as he should be

Hope he proves me wrong.

at least he's not just stopping kickboxing to focus only on boxing. He will keep kickboxing until he's making as much money in boxing (if it happens), it's a smart move.

He'd make more money in kickboxing than as another Matt Skelton so I don't think he'd keep boxing if that happens.
Soliman is exactly that kind of overachiever who got the right title fights at the right time I think he shows that it's possible.

Not saying I'm sure that Holzken could do it maybe he'd only be another Matt Skelton and switches back to kickboxing but Holzken ist one of the top 3 best boxers in kickboxing and would compete in a division that is one of the weaker ones t the moment so if any kickboxer can do it it's Holzken.

Spong has also a chance of doing some things in boxing becase at HW everything is possible but he doesn't seem that commited and isn't as active as he should be

I definitely think that Holtzken has a better chance at doing something with boxing than Spong. I mean, Spong is a great athlete and has a lot of power, but he is not as fluid or intuitive.

Back