Nick Diaz vs Demian Maia, who wins?

Who wins?

• Total voters

KONE

Double Yellow Card
Banned
Reaction score
Inspired from a few other threads and Nick being off his suspension, I was just curious who you guys think wins this matchup in a 3 round fight? I think this is retardedly close personally. Nick has the striking advantage but I can just as easily see Maia latching onto Nick and controlling him.

Nick hates wrestlers. I imagine the greatest WW grappler of all time (bjj wise) would really piss him off. I would favour Maia.

I think Maia controls Nick for 15 minutes.

Nick's BJJ is very good but maia's is better. I think maia will take him down and win.

You're right in this one being a VERY hard fight to call. I'm still trying to figure out if Nick's prime is now in the past. He can certainly hang on the mat with Maia, though. Maia is at a big disadvantage on the feet and an even bigger disadvantage in regards to cardio, and I don't think he's half as durable as Nick.

That said, Maia has some amazing momentum right now while Nick can't be feeling overly confident with how his career has gone the last few years.

I'd definitely watch the fight with a lot of interest, but I wouldn't dare put any money down.

Maia would most likely win via Grappling his way to a UD.

Then Diaz will complain that Maia isn't a "hitter" and semi retire for another 2 years.

COME AT ME DIAZ FANBOYS!!

giphy.gif

I expect something like this.

Maia would most likely win via Grappling his way to a UD.

Then Diaz will complain that Maia isn't a "hitter" and semi retire for another 2 years.

COME AT ME DIAZ FANBOYS!!

Nick saying something about how shitty MMA judging is was reverberating in my head as I was typing this thread out

I'll feel a lot more comfortable answering this after Maia/Condit, but I think Maia wins via UD.

It could look like Maia/Rory or BJ/Nick, with Maia dominating early and then Nick taking over later, but I think Maia is too good at being Maia to lose a 3-rd fight against Nick.

Hard to say. In a three round fight it's hard not to favor Maia, but then again, if Nick can stop take-downs at all it becomes very one sided. Wow, that's tough. Strange matchup to ponder.

Maia. Easily.

Very few guys can hang with Maia on the ground, and Gunnar, who many thought could match him, got absolutely dominated. I think Nick would get neutralised, like most others have been.

i chose nick as i imagined a 5 round fight. if it's 3 rounds, i could see maia eking out a decision

The backpack via backpacking, I'd have a hard time picking if it was 5 rounds

The backpack via backpacking, I'd have a hard time picking if it was 5 rounds

I was actually thinking the opposite. If it's 5 rounds it will favor Nick more because of the cardio advantage. Maia got a bit winded in the Brown fight despite being in control the entire time

Lol such a great gif. I wish Sims had been a better fighter so we could've seen more of his bullshit.

Same

scu9e4H.gif

Maia is overrated here. He beat who exactly to be rated so highly? Yes he has great BJJ but this isn't 1995 anymore.

Nick vs Maia would look like Anderson vs Maia. Nick by doing whatever he wants in the stand up.

Back