Nick came for the money

I like both Diaz bros but let's be honest here, for the whole week I didn't had the feeling that Nick is actually fighting, his behavior during the walkout was super weird, he looked like the guy who doesn't wanna be where he is.

At the begining of the fight Nick looked slow and sloppy like a punching bag who wants this thing to be done asap and with as little pain as he can get.

He had some good moments there, but the ending just confirmed what I felt the whole fight, he came for the money, didn't recieve too much damage, and he just decided to...quit.

Thoughts?

I respectfully disagree. I thought Nate looked decent considering the long lay-off and fought a good fight. He showed excellent boxing and timing and tagged Lawler multiple times. He still has a good chin. Lawler wore him down. Diaz can hold his head high, it was a very good fight.

They throw 500 punches in 2 rounds...give him a break
As many punches in a little over 2 rounds, as lighter Ortega vs Volk in 5 rounds.
Moraes was gassed after 40

Of course he did

He made big bank vs GSP, waits 2 years and comes back for a half million pay day vs Silva.

That money doesn't last forever, he figured he would fight again for another big pay day.

He even admitted he doesn't like fighting.

Not to nitpick, but Nick certainly earned more than 500k to fight Silva. PPV points and undisclosed bonuses are not only for champs...it depends on the individual.

Not to nitpick, but Nick certainly earned more than 500k to fight Silva. PPV points and undisclosed bonuses are not only for champs...it depends on the individual.
Oh yeah for sure

His base purse was 500k

Sorry let me say it slightly different.

It didn’t make last nights fight any different than any of his other fights.

Maybe you already knew this. But I imagine half of sherdog fans only heard him say it once ever, last week, and thought it made this fight different. It didn’t.
Of course it was different. He quit. DIaz would never have quit before.

He tried his best,gave what he had,but the old Nick would have never quit.

I lose no respect for him for this,understand? but he should hang them up. He's not fit to be in there anymore.

Well yeah of course they all fight for the money it’s prize fighting.

I got the feeing he might be trying to fight out his contract so he can get a big payday elsewhere

Of course it was different. He quit. DIaz would never have quit before.

He tried his best,gave what he had,but the old Nick would have never quit.

I lose no respect for him for this,understand? but he should hang them up. He's not fit to be in there anymore.
I was specifically talking about how he said on Friday that he doesn’t even like fighting. Many newer fans might think that was a new phenomena. It is not. He’s been saying this for over a decade.

10 years ago, Nick admits he has always hated fighting and keeps winning.

6 years ago Nick admits that he has always hated fighting, and he dropped a few.

Last weekend he admits he has always hated fighting and he verbally submitted.

So my point is, hating fighting is not a criteria in any of these.

Hope that’s more clear.

Last edited:
Fair play to him, his brother did the same thing against RDA.

Its not like they get paid sick or holiday pay.

I like both Diaz bros but let's be honest here, for the whole week I didn't had the feeling that Nick is actually fighting, his behavior during the walkout was super weird, he looked like the guy who doesn't wanna be where he is.

At the begining of the fight Nick looked slow and sloppy like a punching bag who wants this thing to be done asap and with as little pain as he can get.

He had some good moments there, but the ending just confirmed what I felt the whole fight, he came for the money, didn't recieve too much damage, and he just decided to...quit.

Thoughts?
I would accuse you of stating the obvious, but before the fight a lot of his fans kept insisting that Nick was the same as he always was, and no one should read anything from his demeanor or even his words.

I'd like to think the Diaz bros don't quit. I almost wonder if Nick was injured prior to the fight. Sitting on the fence all fight, going down the way he did, looking out of shape and needing a higher weight class the week of the fight seems like a lot of coincidences.

I mean.. when has a Diaz ever been known to look gassed?
Or he performed exactly like you'd think a 40 yr old guy coming off a 6 year lay off would perform....

Of course he did

He made big bank vs GSP, waits 2 years and comes back for a half million pay day vs Silva.

That money doesn't last forever, he figured he would fight again for another big pay day.

He even admitted he doesn't like fighting.

He also had the weed suspension and later USADA suspension for ignoring them which def contributed in his distaste for aspects of the sport

I mean he basically just quit in the middle of the fight. So it sure looks like.

Old Nick is fat, slow, gave a good fight while he could, and when there was nothing left, he quit.
Young Nick, that was another animal, no one was ever able to beat the fight out of him.
:D

... but the old Nick would have never quit.

Yea obviously. The real question is "would Nick Diaz beat Evander Holyfield" ?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back