Locked NHL 23: Broken Sternums and Broken Dreams

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ray Bourque was universally regarded as one of the top 3 defensemen of all time before he got that hail mary cup with Colorado. He carried some mediocre Bruins team on his back to the finals twice and had the misfortune of running into the 80's oilers twice. Nobody held it against him because his personal play was elite and he carried those teams further than they should have gone.

The guys who get flak for not winning are the Joe Thornton's and Marcel Dionne's because despite their personal awards, they were predictable and played like shit when it counted. Yzerman and Ovechkin used to get that treatment until they finally won them at ages 32 and 33 and then it all went away

Hail Mary??????? It had Forsberg, Sakic, Roy, Hedjuk, Little League World Series Winner Chris Drury, Foote and just for lols added Rob Blake at the deadline. That team won the President's Trophy. We can say Ray left to chase a Cup and no one begrudged him for doing so, but it wasn''t a hail mary, he picked a good team.

Thornton should've won a Cup his last year. Oh well.

Lemieux is usually ranked 3rd or 4th of the big 4. Bobby Orr 2nd, so I'd say it's possible for a dman, just unlikely.

And yeah, nobody is ever catching Gretzky. He was scoring 200 points when the next best was scoring 130 and he was consistent. Calling it a "big 4" is usually just a formality I've fallen into.

But I think it's absolutely possible for mcdavid to turn it into a big 5 and he's already close. He's surpassed a lot of top players already who have cups.
If his career ended today, would you put him at #5?

I try not to have these conversation until a person's career is over. Or near retirement

The Hockey Hall of Fame announced on Tuesday that they will induct Pavel Datsyuk, Jeremy Roenick, Shea Weber, Natalie Darwitz and Krissy Wendell-Pohl as players and Colin Campbell and David Poile as builders into their hallowed halls in a ceremony in November.

I didn't even think Shea Weber was eligible. I didn't think he'd filed his paper work and retired

Weber got in this fast? Lol.

They should have at the very least put Datsyuk and Zetterberg in together.

The Hockey Hall of Fame announced on Tuesday that they will induct Pavel Datsyuk, Jeremy Roenick, Shea Weber, Natalie Darwitz and Krissy Wendell-Pohl as players and Colin Campbell and David Poile as builders into their hallowed halls in a ceremony in November.

I didn't even think Shea Weber was eligible. I didn't think he'd filed his paper work and retired

His post history kinda makes his agenda plain.

After the may discussion where he insisted Mackinnon was a superior player and nobody agreeing, most of his June posts were just trashing Mcdavid every game. From "He gets calls because he is the media darling", to "Skinner for series MVP!" At this point, McDavid just broke a Gretzky record thought to be unbreakable and he's talking like it's no big deal and that Bob got robbed of the Smythe lol

Even Florida fans don't support Bob for the smythe. The supermajority on every hockey forum thinks Barkov was the clear #2, Bob distant 3rd
You read a little too much into my posts and take them a bit too seriously. If you look into the other sports threads during games I goof around and say off-the-wall shit just having fun and trolling a bit. I have no agenda. As far as MacKinnon vs. McDavid goes, I guess I'll say it again, I just think McDavid is a photo finish #2 behind MacKinnon and you refuse to accept a differing opinion.

If you want my true thoughts on all this with no goofing around and trolling, I want to see McDavid hoist the Cup and would be very sad to see a player of his caliber go his whole career without it. I also like to root against the machine who tend to overstate and overhype a player's accomplishments a bit. They do it in every sport, and it's always one player who is the most cherished by the media and company. You clearly read my post history, so you must have seen where I said I had no dog in this fight until Edmonton players (McDavid included) were becoming persistent in cheap shots to the head and groin when they were frustrated and about to lose. Made me sour on him a little, but still doesn't affect my desire to see him when it all some day.

By the way, you can have a "supermajority opinion" and still be wrong.

Hail Mary??????? It had Forsberg, Sakic, Roy, Hedjuk, Little League World Series Winner Chris Drury, Foote and just for lols added Rob Blake at the deadline. That team won the President's Trophy. We can say Ray left to chase a Cup and no one begrudged him for doing so, but it wasn''t a hail mary, he picked a good team.
His hope in getting a trade for his final season was to win. It didn't come first year and it was his last go regardless

His hope in getting a trade for his final season was to win. It didn't come first year and it was his last go regardless

Well he wasn't doing it for giggles...

I'm just saying it wasn't a hail mary which implies that it was a long shot. That team was stacked and have been there or thereabouts since they moved to Colorado. The league at that time was pretty much one of Detroit, Colorado, New Jersey and for awhile, Dallas

Well he wasn't doing it for giggles...

I'm just saying it wasn't a hail mary which implies that it was a long shot. That team was stacked and have been there or thereabouts since they moved to Colorado. The league at that time was pretty much one of Detroit, Colorado, New Jersey and for awhile, Dallas
Not disagreeing.

I meant from his perspective. He knew the bruins were in a rebuild and he needed to ask to go to a contender. From his perspective he was crossing his fingers and going for it before he knew where he would land.

Knowing what we know now, had he been there longer he probably would have several cups.

Him and Sakic gelled immediately and Sakic had the best year of his career with a full year of Bourque transitioning the puck for him

I think he retired after the bubble year, and proceeded to fuck the cap for the Predators because they got hit with the salary retention penalty.

I just am on the fence about him being in the HOF.

Not disagreeing.

I meant from his perspective. He knew the bruins were in a rebuild and he needed to ask to go to a contender. From his perspective he was crossing his fingers and going for it before he knew where he would land.

Knowing what we know now, had he been there longer he probably would have several cups.

Him and Sakic gelled immediately and Sakic had the best year of his career with a full year of Bourque transitioning the puck for him
Ray knew that he was done win or lose after that season. It just never got out.

Sure, he could have stayed and maybe gotten another cup, but what a fucking way to go.

I think he retired after the bubble year, and proceeded to fuck the cap for the Predators because they got hit with the salary retention penalty.

Datsyuk, Zetterberg and Ozzy should have went in together... imo

Last edited:
This is precisely what I was referring to about Connor being the NHL and media darling. Lol. Such a hilarious excuse that would be laughed out of the room if it were made for any other player. And you will see ridiculous excuses like this for the sports darlings in all the other major sports too. I want to see him win a Cup some day, but I also enjoy seeing the apologists suffer and say the stupidest shit. "Three day breaks in between every game is not enough for him!"

Losing the Final in game 7 probably increases his odds to be voted in as the Hart winner too.

20240626-165431.jpg

I thought he just said he was banged up and would have to sit a year out, as a minimum. I didn't think he had actually said he had retired. His contract was traded to join the HoF roster of contracts held by the Coyotes

Ray knew that he was done win or lose after that season. It just never got out.

Sure, he could have stayed and maybe gotten another cup, but what a fucking way to go.

It was a great way to go. But I think most kinda thought he was done the year before and were a little bit surprised he came back for another shot.

The feeling I got was he really didn't want to leave Boston the city.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back