• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

NHL 23: Broken Sternums and Broken Dreams

Bummmed out about Walman. He's from my area. Played at my home rink, while I was working there too. Playing with Mortiz, taking heavy minutes on my team... Now sent to San Jose to rot, and the Wings paid to get rid of him.

Stevie must have another card to play..right?

Com'on Stamkos.............
I just saw that trade. What the heck is going on?
I know Walman was getting benched later in the season, but this is an expensive cap dump for a reasonable 3.4m contract.

I suspect several teams would have taken him for free. They gave us a 2nd to take him?

Something doesn't add up here.

Real talk.
Remember how many injuries Bergeron had in one playoff?
It was like ruptured spleen, broken ribs, tenanus, AIDS, broken freaking neck, etc, etc.
Was that the same season the Blackhawks scored two in the last minutes to win the Cup?

I just saw that trade. What the heck is going on?
I know Walman was getting benched later in the season, but this is an expensive cap dump for a reasonable 3.4m contract.

I suspect several teams would have taken him for free. They gave us a 2nd to take him?

Something doesn't add up here.

I'm struggling with it too right now.. Our defense is not deep.

Gostisbehere is going to test the market, so no promise he's coming back...

I want to believe Yzerman is so impressed by the Dman we took 1st last year, he is preparing a roster spot for him. But that's a dream.

We got a lot of free agents, likely scenario is we're not getting any deals and Stevie wants cap space to play around with after.

It's always hilarious to see the injury reports after the playoffs and then read all the criticism players received. Guys play through some brutal stuff.
Draisaitl was catching heavy shit throughout the series. Makes sense why he was so absent now. Might not seem like it to the untrained eye watching playoff hockey, but the physicality and punishment these guys endure is insane.

I'm struggling with it too right now.. Our defense is not deep.

Gostisbehere is going to test the market, so no promise he's coming back...

I want to believe Yzerman is so impressed by the Dman we took 1st overall last year, he is preparing a roster spot for him. But that's a dream.

We got a lot of free agents, likely scenario is we're not getting any deals and Stevie wants cap space to play around with after.
Maybe its a "Whichever of Vanecek and Blackwood bounce back, you swap to me for Husso if he keeps sucking at the start of the season"

That would actually save the Wings an additional million or 2 in cap space later. Husso is a 4.75 million dollar guy vs Blackwood at 2.35 mil and Vanecek at 3.4 mil

if the wings wanted to dump a Dman and package a 2nd, I would have expected Chiariot or Holl to be the guys you needed to pay to get rid of. Walman is actually good.

Maybe its a "Whichever of Vanecek and Blackwood bounce back, you swap to me for Husso if he keeps sucking at the start of the season"

That would actually save the Wings an additional million or 2 in cap space later. Husso is a 4.75 million dollar guy vs Blackwood at 2.35 mil and Vanecek at 3.4 mil

if the wings wanted to dump a Dman and package a 2nd, I would have expected Chiariot or Holl to be the guys you needed to pay to get rid of. Walman is actually good.

There has to be another move coming.

I was talking on r/NHL about how we're a better franchise now than the Rangers since both teams have existed and some goof brought up the Presidents' Trophy. We won it a couple of years ago but the only thing anyone remembers is we got bounced in the first round.

I wouldn't say it's a jinx. If it was won the right way (so as a normal course of business) I'd rather have it than not. It means a team was consistently successful. The finals can be viewed as a second season though. All it takes is a goalie to imitate a brick wall for a week at a time.

*shrugs

I think the guy who just broke a Gretzky scoring record that was universally thought to be unbreakable was a good choice for the Smythe. He's young. Cups will come. Dominant and the best player in hockey.

I was about to say he's not that young... But he's 27 and was drafted in 2015... He's been in the least 10 years almost?!?! He's young, and I'm old

Well, McDavid broke it because he played 6 full games more than Gretzky. Wayne also had more goals in that playoff run and accumulated a higher point total in 6 less games. There shouldn't be any comparison to that run, or Gretzky at all. When Gretzky had 31 assists, that wasn't even his best playoff run.

Also, Edmonton won several games throughout the playoffs when McDavid would disappear. To act like he has nobody is also a little ridiculous. They won games in spite of their two stars (Draisaitl and McDavid) doing nothing. They are a very solid squad that are overshadowed because one player on the team is the darling of the NHL and it's easier to blame the rest of the team even when he doesn't show up at all. MacKinnon has nothing to do with it. Don't know why you brought him up. Bob was robbed of the Smythe. It should never go to a losing team, especially when the guy who won it did nothing for the final two games.

One of the best post season I can remember scoring wise was Peter Forsberg in his LTIR year.. After his spleen got removed and he was out the regular season but was somehow healthy to come back in the playoffs. I believe he led playoff scoring despite the Avs being eliminated in the conference final. There was some noise from the fringes that he should get the Conn Smythe despite not making it into the Cup final lol. Dead puck era lol

Here is how the votes went,

Connor McDavid, Edmonton: 83 points
Aleksander Barkov, Florida: 46 points
Gustav Forsling, Florida: 8 points
Sergei Bobrovsky, Florida: 7 points
Zach Hyman, Edmonton: 3 points
Evan Bouchard, Edmonton: 2 points
Stuart Skinner, Edmonton: 2 points
Carter Verhaeghe, Florida: 2 points

I don’t get the love for Bob, he was good but nothing special. He and Skinner had dam near identical stats and Skinner was shit in almost the entire playoffs.
Saying Bob was Roy esque is fucking hilarious

Who the heck voted for Forsling, Bouchard, Verhaeghe and Skinner?!?!?

Did Super Nintendo Chalmers have a vote?

Panthers are a bunch of divers and embellishers and just plain dirty. Throwing punches at players when they are down Always crying when calls do not go their way.

It was nice of all of those "Panthers" fans to leave their Rangers jerseys at home for this series though.
This is uncalled for my man!

The Tkachuk Brothers are a rarer breed these days. Sons of a rich rough nosed hockey player

When I was a kid, most of the people playing hockey were the sons of tradesmen, farmers, labourers, roughnecks, derrick hands, etc, etc, etc. Plenty of those guys were pretty rough customers and raised sons who weren't far off the mark in that way, too.

The biggest feeder of talent to junior hockey is the Greater Toronto Hockey League, and if you have a son talented enough to play in it, you'll be spending about $45,000 per year, just in fees, for the kid to play. You haven't yet bought equipment or travelled or anything else, and the expense is similar in every elite youth hockey league across the Dominion.

Due to that kind of expense, what are the occupations of the players' fathers now? Investment bankers, stock brokers, lawyers, doctors, etc. You still get some kids who are pretty rough around the edges, but there's just bound to be a lot less of them now due to the differences in upbringing between them and players of the past.

We did. So did the voters and most hockey fans. The journalists who voted sat in the press boxes at the arena and watched all these games. heir entire job is to watch and comment on hockey.

Barkov is almost universally being called 2nd place for the Smythe, with Bob way behind both. Panthers fans and the supermajority on every hockey discussion site agree on that.

I thought the biggest feeder of talent in hockey these days is Arizona? ;-)

Red Wings defense at the moment

Ben Chariot - Justin Holl
Olli Matta - Jeff Petry

crying-man-sad.gif

Mo Seider?

Real talk.
Remember how many injuries Bergeron had in one playoff?
It was like ruptured spleen, broken ribs, tenanus, AIDS, broken freaking neck, etc, etc.

brmp ba ra brmp bara brmp... You suck.... you su.... oh sorry, my bad. Force of habit

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Paralel
Back