NHL 23: Broken Sternums and Broken Dreams

What the actual fuck is this bullshit? Edmonton was not well established when Mcdavid was drafted. They were one of the worst teams in the league, perpetually drafting top 3 and drafting a lot of busts. Far worse than Colorado was LOL

McDavid is the reason for that teams turn in fortunes. His elite play worked much like Gretzky and Lemieux of old. He helped teammates realize their potential and could score with anyone. That' why they call it the McDavid effect in fantasy
McDavid busted his collarbone and missed a lot of the 1st season and the team made all kinds of offseason moves to build around him the next years, ejecting taylor Hall and Eberle types and bringing in guys like Maroon and Lucic. He is THE superstar and propelled that team above their abilities.

His first few full years were him scoring 100+ while Draisaitl played a different 2nd line and scored 70-77 and everyone else scored 50 or below. he was lining up with Maroon and Lucic types on his wings and Klefbom was the teams PP quarterback for YEARS. His only help was Draisaitl and the PP, who centers a different line at ES.

His superstar abilities is what pulled them out of rebuild faster. He tilts the ice
Exactly. Since Mackinnon started in 2013 Colorado has had one season under .500. Where is this rebuild affecting stats? Since 2017 the Avalanche have been elite.

What a joke of a post by an obvious homer Mackinnon fan without proper knowledge.

What the actual fuck is this bullshit?
<6>
Helax. Is normal.

They didn't go through a franchise altering build that took as long as Colorado's did is the point I'm trying to make. Edmonton also didn't have a Matt Duchene holding the franchise back by not being the star player they continued to invest in. It's no coincidence that MacKinnon elevated to GOAT status the moment Duchene was traded. McDavid would have suffered the same fate had the Oilers kept all their chips with Hall like the Avs did with Duchene. The Oilers were wise enough early on to dump him and give the keys to McDavid when he walked in.

Exactly. Since Mackinnon started in 2013 Colorado has had one season under .500. Where is this rebuild affecting stats? Since 2017 the Avalanche have been elite.

What a joke of a post by an obvious homer Mackinnon fan without proper knowledge.
Homer? I don't blindly follow who the media darlings tell me is their favorite. If they came out and said Tkachuk is the best player in hockey tomorrow you'd probably have his jersey by June. <lol>

But at least you're aware that the Avs became elite in 2017... when they gave the keys to Mackinnon after dumping Duchene

I'm fine with being a Homer. But realism has to come into play here.

Mcdavid is going to go down in history as part of the big 5 in tier 1. His comparable will be Lemieux and Orr. Unless he suddenly has a career ending injury, in which case he still will be in a top 2 tier of players just based on years already played.

Mackinnon is also going to go down as an all time great, but more in the 3rd tier of Yzerman/Sakic

There is a whole 2nd tier of Beliveau/Crosby/Jagr/Bourque/lidstrom types between these guys in terms of skill and results

<6>
Helax. Is normal.

They didn't go through a franchise altering build that took as long as Colorado's did is the point I'm trying to make. Edmonton also didn't have a Matt Duchene holding the franchise back by not being the star player they continued to invest in. It's no coincidence that MacKinnon elevated to GOAT status the moment Duchene was traded. McDavid would have suffered the same fate had the Oilers kept all their chips with Hall like the Avs did with Duchene. The Oilers were wise enough early on to dump him and give the keys to McDavid when he walked in.
The Oilers absolutely went through that kind of rebuild. The difference was McDavid, who was able to instantly supplant competition and become the centerpiece. Mackinnon was good as a rookie, but it took him years to get to his current elite status. I expected him to, as I watched him lead the moose, but let's not pretend like duchene was somehow the thing holding him back. Duchene is a solid offensive player and mack still got his PP time in and the easier line matchups. He just wasn't there yet

The Oilers absolutely went through that kind of rebuild. The difference was McDavid, who was able to instantly supplant competition and become the centerpiece. Mackinnon was good as a rookie, but it took him years to get to his current elite status. I expected him to, as I watched him lead the moose, but let's not pretend like duchene was somehow the thing holding him back. Duchene is a solid offensive player and mack still got his PP time in and the easier line matchups. He just wasn't there yet
Duchene was exactly what was holding him back. This has been acknowledged by management. There is no pretending here. Regardless of that, his play on the ice is equal or even greater than McDavid and we can agree to disagree, I guess. And I can also turn this around and say MacKinnon elevated everyone on the ice better than McDavid because he actually won a cup and swept McDavid.

Homer? I don't blindly follow who the media darlings tell me is their favorite. If they came out and said Tkachuk is the best player in hockey tomorrow you'd probably have his jersey by June. <lol>

But at least you're aware that the Avs became elite in 2017... when they gave the keys to Mackinnon after dumping Duchene
I’ve been an Oiler fan since I was 4 years old and I’m 44 years old now. I also lived in Edmonton from 1996 until 2012 and I always have supported the team.

I don’t blindly follow anything but the Oilers. Doesn’t matter if their best player is Wayne Gretzky, Mark Messier, Petr Klima, Doug Weight, Ryan Smyth, Taylor Hall, or even Connor McDavid over the years. Nothing changes, I support the Oilers.

You’re making erroneous statements and it’s hilarious because you have no idea what you’re talking about.

I’ve been an Oiler fan since I was 4 years old and I’m 44 years old now. I also lived in Edmonton from 1996 until 2012 and I always have supported the team.

I don’t blindly follow anything but the Oilers. Doesn’t matter if their best player is Wayne Gretzky, Mark Messier, Petr Klima, Doug Weight, Ryan Smyth, Taylor Hall, or even Connor McDavid over the years. Nothing changes, I support the Oilers.

You’re making erroneous statements and it’s hilarious because you have no idea what you’re talking about.
Ok. So an Oiler fan is calling me a homer? Lol

This just in. Lemieux and Gretzky weren't that good they were just media guys
Duchene was exactly what was holding him back. This has been acknowledged by management. There is no pretending here. Regardless of that, his play on the ice is equal or even greater than McDavid and we can agree to disagree, I guess. And I can also turn this around and say MacKinnon elevated everyone on the ice better than McDavid because he actually won a cup and swept McDavid.
Nah. He wasn't there and it took him years to get this good. His 1 140 point season doesn't equal McDavid 's trophy case of years.

And yeah, the avs were a better team, certainly better depth. I'd say Cale Makar gets the biggest nod to best player in that playoff, followed by Rantanen. Mack was about on par with Landy. Nobody ever accused the oilers of being able to draft well and build around a superstar well

Ok. So an Oiler fan is calling me a homer? Lol
*shrugs
I'm a sharks fan calling you a Homer, but I don't really need to say at as it's pretty obvious.

I Don't have a dog in this fight except maybe be partial to Mackinnon because I was there to see him grow and get drafted and even I know this is a silly position you have taken.

Not a single hockey mind in the universe would skip drafting McDavid for anyone since Crosby. Hell maybe all the way back to lemieux

Mackinnon will go down as a Sakic tier player, which itself is a great accomplishment.

McDavid is considered by former coaches like Bowman (not media ) to be gordie howe/lemieux/Orr tier

This just in. Lemieux and Gretzky weren't that good they were just media guys

Nah. He wasn't there and it took him years to get this good. His 1 140 point season doesn't equal McDavid 's trophy case of years.

And yeah, the avs were a better team, certainly better depth. I'd say Cale Makar gets the biggest nod to best player in that playoff, followed by Rantanen. Mack was about on par with Landy. Nobody ever accused the oilers of being able to draft well and build around a superstar well
Nobody said Lemieux and Gretzky weren't good? You are right that they are media guys now, though. They're literally paid to hype up players and are also not exempt from bias just because they played the game. All the major sports do this where they get retired players to come out and talk about things. The NFL, for example, will occasionally get Warren Moon out to shill for the Tennessee Titans and their rivalry with Houston even though he never played a down for that team.

You two act like I'm saying McDavid is not good or something. Lol. Their skillet is so close I just said I slightly prefer MacKinnon and you're using that as a springboard to trash his history and accomplishments to elevate McDavid.

Last edited:
*shrugs
I'm a sharks fan calling you a Homer, but I don't really need to say at as it's pretty obvious.

I Don't have a dog in this fight except maybe be partial to Mackinnon because I was there to see him grow and get drafted and even I know this is a silly position you have taken.

Not a single hockey mind in the universe would skip drafting McDavid for anyone since Crosby. Hell maybe all the way back to lemieux

Mackinnon will go down as a Sakic tier player, which itself is a great accomplishment.

McDavid is considered by former coaches like Bowman (not media ) to be gordie howe/lemieux/Orr tier
I wasn't quoting you.

Watch how quickly they jump off the McDavid bandwagon if he goes his whole career without winning or making it to the Stanley Cup Final.

You're joking about the hit on Petterson. Right in the back. On the numbers.

Watch it again, tell.me how much "shoulder to shoulder" that was.

Yeah I slowed it down and the contact looks to be more to the rear side of his torso. But more to the side than the back. I still don't think it should've been a penalty.

Reactions: PND
I wasn't quoting you.

Watch how quickly they jump off the McDavid bandwagon if he goes his whole career without winning or making it to the Stanley Cup Final.
Oh not winning a cup would definitely hurt him in Orr comparisons. But the comparisons will still be there. It's not like McDavid is marcel dionne or Joe Thornton or mitch marner though. His playoff play has been excellent. His lack of team depth has been the factor there, not his performance and the hockey minds know this.

Nobody said "ray bourque is not an all time great" before he won a cup in Colorado. He was universally regarded as way better than Paul coffey or scott stevens despite them having cups

Nobody said Lemieux and Gretzky weren't good? You are right that they are media guys now, though. They're literally paid to hype up players and are also not exempt from bias just because they played the game. All the major sports do this where they get retired players to come out and talk about things. The NFL, for example, will occasionally get Warren Moon out to shill for the Tennessee Titans and their rivalry with Houston even though he never played a down for that team.

You two act like I'm saying McDavid is not good or something. Lol. Their skillet is so close I just said I slightly prefer MacKinnon and you're using that as a springboard to trash his history and accomplishments to elevate McDavid.
The situation is simple. Mackinnon has had this 1 Uber season, and some other really good ones. McDavid has had 5-6 Uber seasons and several more good ones. Consistency matters

Oh not winning a cup would definitely hurt him in Orr comparisons. But the comparisons will still be there. It's not like McDavid is marcel dionne or Joe Thornton or mitch marner though. His playoff play has been excellent. His lack of team depth has been the factor there, not his performance and the hockey minds know this.

Nobody said "ray bourque is not an all time great" before he won a cup in Colorado. He was universally regarded as way better than Paul coffey or scott stevens despite them having cups
Orr comparisons are silly anyway since he was a defenceman.

The situation is simple. Mackinnon has had this 1 Uber season, and some other really good ones. McDavid has had 5-6 Uber seasons and several more good ones. Consistency matters
You don't need to only register goals and assists to have an uber season. So many of McDavid's assists were secondary anyway and barely had relevancy on a goal. There are absolutely gorgeous passes that are mishandled and shots that are one inch off the net or get deflected that would make highlight reels and don't. But you'll never see great play on a stat sheet unless it involves net. Which is the major flaw in evaluating talent.

What the actual fuck is this bullshit? Edmonton was not well established when Mcdavid was drafted. They were one of the worst teams in the league, perpetually drafting top 3 and drafting a lot of busts. Far worse than Colorado was LOL

McDavid is the reason for that teams turn in fortunes. His elite play worked much like Gretzky and Lemieux of old. He helped teammates realize their potential and could score with anyone. That' why they call it the McDavid effect in fantasy
McDavid busted his collarbone and missed a lot of the 1st season and the team made all kinds of offseason moves to build around him the next years, ejecting taylor Hall and Eberle types and bringing in guys like Maroon and Lucic. He is THE superstar and propelled that team above their abilities.

His first few full years were him scoring 100+ while Draisaitl played a different 2nd line and scored 70-77 and everyone else scored 50 or below. he was lining up with Maroon and Lucic types on his wings and Klefbom was the teams PP quarterback for YEARS. His only help was Draisaitl and the PP, who centers a different line at ES.

His superstar abilities is what pulled them out of rebuild faster. He tilts the ice

Yeah McDavid is a big reason anyone wants to play in Edmonton. Whenever someone relevant gets signed they specifically say that the opportunity to play with McDavid was a major selling point. His value has compounded on itself in various ways. Edmonton is one of the most valuable franchises now. Construction of Rogers Place probably helped too. The Colisseum was in the old part of the city that has turned into a ghetto.

I remember when McDavid was drafted though. I told my brother in law that the Oilers should tank for another 1st overall draft pick. He laughed and then they got 70 points, just 1 point ahead of last place Leafs. Bettman breathed a sigh of relief when the Leafs won the draft lottery for Matthews and not Edmonton yet again.

Last edited:
Orr comparisons are silly anyway since he was a defenceman.
The comparisons are mostly stylistic as rankings for skaters go. Orr broke the game with transition speed, ability to go from standing still to top speed in 3 strides and ability to not only go north south, but shifty in his ability to switch east west 10 feet in the blink of an eye while maintaining control. The guy could stick handle in a phone booth.

Neither Gretzky or Lemieux had those skating abilities. Their abilities were different, but also amazing. Truly amazing. Lemieux was shifty, but nowhere near that fast, but he had a mind unlike anyone but Gretzky and a condor wingspan, able to move the puck with control over a radius of 18 feet without even moving his feet.

Gretzky had the weakest physical abilities of all of them, but his mind was uncanny and he could no look pass just knowing the habits of each player and watching the reflections in the plexiglass.

You don't need to only register goals and assists to have an uber season. So many of McDavid's assists were secondary anyway and barely had relevancy on a goal. There are absolutely gorgeous passes that are mishandled and shots that are one inch off the net or get deflected that would make highlight reels and don't. But you'll never see great play on a stat sheet unless it involves net. Which is the major flaw in evaluating talent.
Mcdavid had 38 secondary assists this season. Mackinnon had 39 secondary assists. I'd say that cuts both ways considering how often mcdavid's linemates flub his perfect passes.

Last season mcdavid only had 29 secondary assists.....and he scored over 150 points lol

And secondary assists are often VERY important. That point shot that gets saved but rebounds and finds another 2 sticks before it goes in are pretty important or ray bourque ans nick lidstrom would be judged harshly on how many secondaries rhey have, or the tic tac toe plays that elite players often employ wouldn't happen without that first pass

Back