NHB7 Legends polls:Frye and Severn legends but not Pulver?

But yes I was surprised to see Jens Pulver so low as well. He was the first big name at a lightweight class, and one of the early fighters to make striking once again a dominant strategy.

What about Don and Dan though? Are they Legends and if so why are they and Jens isn't.

it's not difficult. although the 'stache' comment was meant in jest, it's somewhat on point. like in NHB7's first thread when i mentioned that Jim Thorpe isn't a legend but Babe Ruth is.

Webster: a story from the past that is believed by many people but cannot be proved to be true

Wiki: is a narrative of human actions that are perceived both by teller and listeners to take place within human history and to possess certain qualities that give the tale verisimilitude.​

verisimilitude. couldn't have said it better myself.

the fact is, Pulver didn't garner attention - didn't capture imagination - and these other guys did. and that, my friends, is what "legend" is all about.

What about Don and Dan though? Are they Legends and if so why are they and Jens isn't.

I just feel like if someone thinks that Don and Dan were legends then those same people should think Jens is a legend as well but that doesn't seem to be the case and i'm not sure why. Is it cause he's not big or doesn't have a mustache, those seem to be the things Don and Dan have that Jens doesn't.

for Don Frye, I think it has to do with his personality/image. Don Frye is the type of person who you don't just forget about. His mustache, American shorts, and over all demeanor mixed in with the over the top fights he has had in his career make him seem larger than life in some ways. So when people consider Frye a legend I think it has much less to do with his mma career and has more to do with his persona.

for Dan Severn, he was big name getting big wins in the beginning of the UFC. The dude fought with Royce in the final, won early UFC tournaments(two in the same year). So he was winning big fights and was a champion before Pulver even made his mma debut. Couple with the fact that he never had a fall or a tragic end to his career like Pulver did when he kept losing and retiring. Add in his over 100 MMA fights and being able to beat up people like Forrest in 2001, and it is easy to see why he would be considered a legend over Pulver.

also like to point out that both Don Frye and Dan Severn won multiple early UFC tourneys and that seems to have a lot to do with someone being considered a legend.

Since LEGEND all opinion, it doesn't matter. Legend don't make them more money and there isn't a LHOF so fuck it.

it's not difficult. although the 'stache' comment was meant in jest, it's somewhat on point. like in NHB7's first thread when i mentioned that Jim Thorpe isn't a legend but Babe Ruth is.

Webster: a story from the past that is believed by many people but cannot be proved to be true

Wiki: is a narrative of human actions that are perceived both by teller and listeners to take place within human history and to possess certain qualities that give the tale verisimilitude.​

the fact is, Pulver didn't garner attention - didn't capture imagination - and these other guys did. and that, my friends, is what "legend" is all about.

There is truth to this. You can have a mediocre record with a lot of charisma and be remembered for ever. You can have an incredible record, and be as interesting as a cardboard box, and be forgotten.

That being said, I'm not sure why Jens Pulver didn't click for fans. He did have an interesting personality. He was wonderfully humble, he publicly struggled with his demons, he was an emotional guy. I think he was just a LW star before people really cared about LWs.

I voted Pulver as not a legend but I think I changed my mind. He did increase the popularity of the lighter weight classes. Great fighter.

There is truth to this. You can have a mediocre record with a lot of charisma and be remembered for ever. You can have an incredible record, and be as interesting as a cardboard box, and be forgotten.

That being said, I'm not sure why Jens Pulver didn't click for fans. He did have an interesting personality. He was wonderfully humble, he publicly struggled with his demons, he was an emotional guy. I think he was just a LW star before people really cared about LWs.

agreed. i mean, how many FW's are on the list? or how about Vitor Ribeiro?

I guess it depends what you consider a legend. I would personally say none of them are. If you want to name Fry or Severn as a legend then it wouldn't make sense to leave Jens out of that.

Nice post. It may apply to this case.

However, Ruas has all that and more but didn't get enough votes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Santos FC 1912
Back