News Ngannou speaks out against incompetent judges

Open scoring.

Also put up a finish bonus that decreases with each round.
The problem with open scoring is that if a fighter knows they're ahead it greatly increases the chances of riding out rounds 3, 4, or 5.

It's certainly the easiest way to immediately reduce bad decisions.

What we really need is accountability for bad judging. If a judge submits a scorecard like 29-28 Barber, there has to be some sort of review of that judge. Right now there are zero consequences for incompetence.
This. In every other sports league, the commissioner will talk to refs 1 on 1 and get a full explanation for why they made that call, and deliver consequences when necessary.

The same needs to start happening in MMA

I don't think finish bonuses that decrease with each round make a ton of sense. why risk a finish in round 5 for significantly less reward? I don't see the benefit of that change
People are overthinking this. Instead of making it half to show/half to win (which is an insane paradigm that only benefits promoters and fucks over fighters), make it 80/20 for show/win. Or just flat fee to show. There's a reason boxing doesn't use half to show/half to win, it's a blatant middle finger to fighters.
Because if you don't finish him in round 5 you get no bonus
You could probably do something like this but it would have to be called something else since the UFC likes to CYA when it comes to head trauma (hence KOTN became POTN)

Judge the fight as a whole. 10 point must system should have staying in boxing. Pride had the right idea. Let the judges write a summary to explain how they got to their decision to limit corruption and to prove they know what to look for when scoring a fight.
This is actually a good idea.

5 judges would help instead of 3.
I don't think more incompetent and/or corrupt judges is the end all be all but it would probably help. Maybe. I mean, there are obviously corrupt judges and even though everyone knows who they are...... that doesn't stop them.

Because if you don't finish him in round 5 you get no bonus
To me that would make it feel like the fighters are second class citizens while we the first class up in the box seats look down on them and say "you better finish! You like to eat and keep your house, don't you?". There's already enough fighters fighting purely for money and this would incentivize them in the wrong way.

The problem with open scoring is that if a fighter knows they're ahead it greatly increases the chances of riding out rounds 3, 4, or 5.

So basically MMA follows 99% of what other sports do?

And why would you want that?

To help eliminate the fuckery of a sport where the competitors have little clue whats going on in terms of winning the contest outside of stopping their opponent.

Last edited:
Even Big Frank knows Cory was robbed. According this apparent judging criteria, fighters are being asked to turn into sumo wrestling Homer Simpson huggers. Don't bother learning the art of counter striking or BJJ, just walk forward and hug and you can become a UFC champ apparently.

This. In every other sports league, the commissioner will talk to refs 1 on 1 and get a full explanation for why they made that call, and deliver consequences when necessary.

The same needs to start happening in MMA

Yes.

They need to get former fighters as judges. That way the judge actually knows the sport. It would also create work for former fighters. I don't think there would be a problem with bias, but there could be a review board to look for such things, as well as incompetency. Also, they might want to look to Sherdoggers, since we are mostly jacked and trained Kumite fighters.

Nah more shitty cooks in the kitchen = crash, we just need more COMPETENCY. Some calls are so fucking obvious to us, and they still get it wrong and it's their fucking job.

Would you want one person to decide if you get the death penalty, or would you want a majority decision out of 101 people to decide?

I've been saying this for a while. It's not a solution but it would reduce the chance of a bad decision.

I have to disagree with you on this one. Adding two more incompetent judges would only make things worse.

BTW I wonder what fight Ngannou could possibly be referencing? Hmmm...

Would you want one person to decide if you get the death penalty, or would you want a majority decision out of 101 people to decide?
It goes back to the point of are the people retarded? I'd take 101 people if most of them had a working brain, if not I'd take the one person..

The only person I want deciding the terms of my death is me. So...one person, I guess.

So in a fight what comes priority? Damage or cage/ring control?

Because by answering that question, an answer to who really won the fight between TJ and Sandhagen also comes forth into the spotlight.
Sandhagen won 4-1. Possible 3-2 if you give TJ the first, but in no way shape or form did TJ win the 5th.

Back