Next for Maia???

He is on a nice little streak right now so I am sure he will be getting a tougher opponent. Nelson is possible.

Apparently DHK had a "muscle spasm" which would be the flukey part. Regardless, the fight lasted less than a minute and I'd like to see it again. Maia dominates the Dong for a UD imo.

And I never said anything about the Condit fight. That was a legitimate win for Woodley.

That spasm claim was according to his corner/trainer and those guys lie all the time. Considering how much weight he cuts and dehydrates, it could have been a muscle spasm, but it could also have been this that caused the spasm:

mma_e_kim11_600.jpg

Sorry to group you in with the Woodley/Condit deniers. So many people still think that was a fluke injury and don't give Woodley enough credit for the win (and I don't like Woodley and am a Condit fan).

If he can defend maia's takedown then yes. but if maia takes him down, maia destroys him.

I'm not so sure about that. Maia took down Rory and didn't destroy him, same with Dan Miller and others if you look at his record. Gunnar is much better on the feet and has Amazing grappling credentials as well. I think he is a younger, stronger and faster version of Maia with better striking. It will be a bad night for Maia if they ever meet.

Who compares Maia's ground to Gunner should be ashamed.

Maia is a world class BJJ champion. Gunnar has nothing, he's only McGoy's friend.

He's a Top 5 WW, in my opinion. He has just beaten two Top 15s in a row, adding to his list of many, yet Matt Brown has defeated only 1 ever, IIRC.

Ooo I like him fighting Lombard. Idk why people wouldn't rather see brown vs gunnar

Will be interesting to see how the promotion handles Maia going forward. Unless he takes a short notice fight, he will be 38 by the time his next fight rolls around. I don't think that the upper brass are interested in having him in title discussion. Will be interesting to watch what happens with him.
Unfortunately this is true, I see him getting high risk/low reward match ups until he loses like Fitch did.
I'm not so sure about that. Maia took down Rory and didn't destroy him, same with Dan Miller and others if you look at his record. Gunnar is much better on the feet and has Amazing grappling credentials as well. I think he is a younger, stronger and faster version of Maia with better striking. It will be a bad night for Maia if they ever meet.
Maia did dominate Rory on the ground. He got and held mount for a bit on him and held top position for most of round 1.

Maia did dominate Rory on the ground. He got and held mount for a bit on him and held top position for most of round 1.

I'm not denying it, but the person I was responding to said if Maia gets you down it's over. Just posting a few examples of how false that is, especially talking about somebody with superior grappling to all those people Maia couldn't submit.

I'm not denying it, but the person I was responding to said if Maia gets you down it's over. Just posting a few examples of how false that is, especially talking about somebody with superior grappling to all those people Maia couldn't submit.

Fair enough.

People keep saying Gunnar like Gunnar earned by getting shut out by Story and beating Brandon "Lost to a 155er" Thatch

Nah Woodley vs Maia makes sense

Gunnar should fight Magny before Maia

Wonderboy. If he wins that (and he should) title shot after the Woodley/Hendricks winner. Gunnar,Story/Silva winner, DHK, and Brown are also options, though those guys don't have as much momentum as Wonderboy and DHK and Story are rematches.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back