News worthy things with people you know?

Went to HS with the girl Mike Tyson raped.

My grad. school advisor was classmates with Kip Thorne who was the scientific advior on Interstellar. He also callaborated occasionally with Hans Bethe who was the theoretical division leader on the Manhatten project.

(Edit: forgot to mention both Bethe and Thorne are Nobel Prize winners in Physics. I used to see handwritten letters to him by Bethe in his office all the time. He didn't use email.)

Other colleague of mine's advisor was John Wheeler who coined the term "black hole".

Another dude I was good friends with at the movie theater I worked in HS is in semi-successful punk band. Josh Homme's wife is the lead singer.

This is him playing guitar:

Seems a little weird in the video, but he's a super cool dude.

Last edited:
Also A military instructor I know found an explosive (a mine most likely) in the forrest.

Instead of notifying the authorities the stupid cunt put it in his bag so He Can show it to the boys.

Later on, When He showed it to the boys, it went off, and injured him and another guy. Both are handicapped for Life and the instructor is in jail still.

This thread Made me realize that my whole Life I've been surrounded by criminals.

So many of my acquaintances have commited horrifying crimes and ended up in the news.

Now I'm sad.

:(

This is the story
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/1763735.stm

A British mother alleged to have abandoned her baby in Portugal could face extradition proceedings to face charges there.

Police in the UK say they will not press charges against Katherine Penny, 23, from Basingstoke in Hampshire.

But the Portuguese authorities are still considering whether to make an extradition order for her.

_1765213_mother150.jpg

Katherine Penny - will not face charges in Britain
And a Portuguese judge has said it is unlikely the baby will be returned to the UK.

The three-month-old baby, named Charles, was found abandoned in a pushchair in the town of Albufeira, near Faro airport, on Sunday morning.

Miss Penny and her partner Mark Beddoes had gone voluntarily to Bournemouth police station on Tuesday asking to talk to officers about their son.

Miss Penny was arrested over unconnected "minor motoring offences", a Dorset police spokesman said.

No obligation to return

Detective Sergeant Neil Claughton said neither Mr Beddoes, 29, nor Miss Penny were under any obligation to return to police concerning the alleged abandonment.

"The child protection office spoke to the woman who gave an account of events in Portugal. In relation to these events she is under no obligation to return to Bournemouth police station," he said.

He went on to say that the force had liaised with the child protection unit, the Criminal Prosecution Service, the National Criminal Intelligence Service and Interpol as well as the Portuguese authorities.

The BBC's Jane O'Brien said: "The alleged offence does not appear to warrant the British authorities taking out a prosecution as opposed to her (the mother) being sent back to Portugal."

Duped claim

Under Portuguese law the maximum penalty for abandoning a child is eight years in prison.

Mr Beddoes, from Bournemouth, has reportedly said that he was duped by his partner into believing that the baby was being put into care in Portugal.

But the boy was only taken to a care home after being found abandoned on Sunday.

Mr Beddoes is also said to have denied being the baby's father.

_1763735_mark2150.jpg

Mark Beddoes: Has promised to return to Portugal
Portuguese police said the couple lived in the Algarve resort and worked in the timeshare industry.

Mr Beddoes has said he only left the child because the couple were desperate for money, and has promised to return to Portugal as soon as he had saved enough.

His friend Paul Green told BBC Radio 4's Today programme that Mr Beddoes had suggested the couple go to the police.

The baby's grandfather, Mike Penny, has asked for privacy for the family to deal with the situation.

"I fully understand the human interest in the events that have unfolded in the last few days regarding the welfare of my daughter's child," he said.

Cleft lip

"However, I need to be clear that this is a private family matter where the needs of the child are paramount."

The baby, born at the hospital on 2 October, was recognised by a nurse because of a distinctive cleft upper lip, he said.

Captain Edmundo Emilio, a police spokesman in Faro, said the baby was taken to hospital but did not need treatment.

Any extradition order could take months to process.

Baby Charles was on Wednesday night described as "well" as he continued to be looked after in a Portuguese orphanage under the care of the local court, the Foreign Office said.

Went to HS with the girl Mike Tyson raped.

My grad. school advisor was classmates with Kip Thorne who was the scientific advior on Interstellar. He also callaborated occasionally with Hans Bethe who was the theoretical division leader on the Manhatten project.

Other colleague of mine's advisor was John Wheeler who coined the term "black hole".

Another dude I was good friends with at the movie theater I worked in HS is in semi-successful punk band. Josh Homme's wife is the lead singer.

This is him playing guitar:

Seems a little weird in the video, but he's a super cool dude.

If you went to high school with the girl that Mike Tyson raped, is it true that she falsely accused someone in high school of raping her?

If you went to high school with the girl that Mike Tyson raped, is it true that she falsely accused someone in high school of raping her?

Never heard of that.

I can't find the article as it was like ten plus years ago but a coworkers sister in law got arrested for trying to hire a hitman to have her husband, my coworkers brother, killed. I had worked on their house several times.

Last edited:
I was on the news for the DC area. Our high school had an assembly and the bleachers collapsed. I skipped the assembly and took a relaxing dump in the nurse's office. It's real nice in there. The next day, a news crew interviewed some of the students. Turned on the news later that night. I saw my my dumb face on tv say, "I wasn't there." Can't tell you why they used it.

My Best friend growing up was horrifically murdered in a crazy drug deal gone bad.

was so crazy it made national news.

Have posted about it here before in drug threads.

How you gonna get raped Twice? It’s such a rare occurrence the chances of it happening to the same person twice has got to be less than that of getting hit by lightning twice.

Bish got railed and was mad she got ghosted on shit up bish.

Had news crews in the front yard trying to talk to my dad after helping save some fools due to work place shooting

Kid I went to high-school with got front page of the Ann arbor news straight punching a neo nazi when the klan used to throw their little shindig back in the 90s.

Town I lived in was on Tommy sotomyors show several times for assorted hood shit.

I was on City Under Siege , for the Street Racing bust In Houston.

Was also on the News During Harvey saving people in my boat

My friend & her sister have been featured on the news several times.
They've both represented Canada in international sports and one of them has a gold medal from the world championships.

Also had a former co-worker who burned an entire warehouse to the ground while trying to charge a dead forklift battery. They didn't mention him by name, but they showed the remains of the warehouse and said it was the forklift operator who was under investigation so we all knew who it was.

Someone likely involved in something that could get their professional license revoked if it became public.

I know a guy who was convicted of credit card fraud and served a year and now is going on trial for second degree murder I don’t know if he had is trial or convicted now. Last I heard he was back in Princeton prison for violating his bail conditions. I should Google him again.

Lots.

The latest was a guy I went to school with got shot trying to burgle a house. Had to crawl a few hundred yards, was found by a police dog and ended up losing his leg by the time he got to hospital. He woke up from a Coma a few weeks later with one leg.

I went to Junior High, High School, and played club soccer with a guy who ended up becoming a pro poker player. He ended up up murdering both of his parents with a sword for an inheritance and staged it as a robbery gone bad. Turns out he was in severe debt and living a double life as a high roller poker player in Vegas. Pretty big story they covered it on 60 Minutes and a bunch of real life crime shows. He was a total tool btw when I "associated" with him, total spaz who was easy to set off. So it doesn't surprise me.
https://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2...-pro-gets-2-life-terms-for-murdering-parents/

A guy at my school went nuts and murdered his mother, father and almost his sister with a knife. He was found the following morning sitting naked on the beach covered in blood.

Same school, a guy brought a shotgun to school and was going to dispatch a teacher and another student. Someone told the principal that he had a gun and the principal went to see him in class. He pulled the gun out and offed himself in front of the class (no I was not in there, did know the guy though).
Two of my friends/colleagues were shot 2 years back (both survived) by some nutter who I also knew. Nutter went on to shoot himself.

That's all I can think of at present but they all made the national news.

i lived in Sacramento for 7 year from 2002-2009. My best friend that entire time was a radio disc jockey or whatever they call them. His station sponsored a competition called "hold your wee for a wii" in which people would drink water every few minutes until they had to pee at which point they were eliminated. Last person standing without having to take a piss won a nintendo wii. The girl who came in second died hours later from water intoxication. People were calling in to the radio station during the competition telling them the dangers of water intoxication and the radio people apparently blew them off. Everyone including my friend was immediately fired after her death and it made national news. Heres an ABC article on it: https://abcnews.go.com/GMA/jury-rules-radio-station-jennifer-strange-water-drinking/story?id=8970712

Back