New York or Las Vegas?

Relentless chase

The one and only
@Brown
Reaction score
Which is the better place to live/train and why?(Hartsdale/White Plains area vs Summerlin LV)

I'm talking the people, the food, the weather (I already know the Vegas weather) high crime or low crime, the cost of the gym and living in such place.. just everything in general.

I'm wanting to move and train full time at one place, I mean devote my full time to training/competition, so at least 6 days a week. I'm still young, I have a gf and she's in full support of me and so is my family, so I have every go ahead already.

I've been looking at two gyms and I've been set on it for awhile now, I've given this tons of thought and it's a choice between:
Cobrinha BJJ Las Levas
IMG_1858-e1526353598835-904x1024.jpg

Coach Hector and Cobrinha (his Master)

vs

Essential BJJ

essential-bjj-set1-16-1024x682.jpg

JT Torres's Gym

Las Vegas would be nice because of not only the Cobrinha academy, but also stopping by Sergio's, as well as Drysdale's. New York would be nice because I could train in under THE man JT Torres and also stop in at Renzo's sometime and maybe even Marcelo's..

I just want to know if any fellow sherdogger has any recommendations on what would be the best choice, just given the cost of living in the area, crime rate, the people, the food, etc.

New York.. cold as fuck in the winter... overcrowded, extremely expensive, culturally rude.... homeless people everywhere...

Go to Vegas... better in all those areas

Which is the better place to live/train and why?(Hartsdale/White Plains area vs Summerlin LV)

I'm talking the people, the food, the weather (I already know the Vegas weather) high crime or low crime, the cost of the gym and living in such place.. just everything in general.

I'm wanting to move and train full time at one place, I mean devote my full time to training/competition, so at least 6 days a week. I'm still young, I have a gf and she's in full support of me and so is my family, so I have every go ahead already.

I've been looking at two gyms and I've been set on it for awhile now, I've given this tons of thought and it's a choice between:
Cobrinha BJJ Las Levas
IMG_1858-e1526353598835-904x1024.jpg

Coach Hector and Cobrinha (his Master)

vs

Essential BJJ

essential-bjj-set1-16-1024x682.jpg

JT Torres's Gym

Las Vegas would be nice because of not only the Cobrinha academy, but also stopping by Sergio's, as well as Drysdale's. New York would be nice because I could train in under THE man JT Torres and also stop in at Renzo's sometime and maybe even Marcelo's..

I just want to know if any fellow sherdogger has any recommendations on what would be the best choice, just given the cost of living in the area, crime rate, the people, the food, etc.
Wow chasing your dreams to become a full time competitor !

What do you want out of a city?
Well, for starters, I'm not much of a partier since I have a gf, plus I'm just not that way.. so night life really isn't a focus. I would say I'm just looking for an area with low crime, good people, fair weather, good food, and just a good all around place to live and train. Also don't wanna spend a ton on rent, gas, groceries, things of that nature.

You get my vibe? you got any recommendations?

Wow chasing your dreams to become a full time competitor !
Yes lol it's either now or never. Would rather go for it now rather than wait until I'm too old to compete and never get to live out a dream of mine I've had for a long time..

Well, for starters, I'm not much of a partier since I have a gf, plus I'm just not that way.. so night life really isn't a focus. I would say I'm just looking for an area with low crime, good people, fair weather, good food, and just a good all around place to live and train. Also don't wanna spend a ton on rent, gas, groceries, things of that nature.

You get my vibe? you got any recommendations?
You need to add a few more options to your list of cities, but it sounds like you would enjoy San Diego.

You need to add a few more options to your list of cities, but it sounds like you would enjoy San Diego.
I wanna go there and train in under Galvao more than anything really, but I've heard ATOS memberships are high $$.. also Cali living just is outrageous nowadays.. believe me, that was my first choice, but when I did my research, I slowly eased off.. Vegas and NY are really my two picks given the quantity of gyms and the quality of teaching.

What other areas would you have in mind other than Vegas/NY?

Wait, you think San Diego is too outrageous but you think New York will be better? Do you understand the cost of living in NYC?

Wait, you think San Diego is too outrageous but you think New York will be better? Do you understand the cost of living in NYC?
Both are, but I'm just more less looking for a good area to live, with low crime, good food, and a good affordable rent, cheaper gas prices/Groceries.. these are the two areas I've narrowed it down to over the last year now. I've been to Vegas and I loved it out there, went to NY as a kid, but not in recent memory, so I can't speak for that..

Just want some input so I know that I choose a good safe area to live/train in, that cost of living is pretty decent, things like that.

Have you trained at both gyms? Which one do you feel is going to give you all the tools you need to be successful? If you will be training full time 6xweek, multiple times a day, the synchronicity you feel with the instructors and the school, especially your future teammates would be of paramount importance. Cost wise I imagine White Plains vs Vegas might be similar since White Plains is not NYC.

It will probably take you 45-60 minutes to drive into Manhattan where Renzo's and Marcelo Garcia's are. Maybe less if you take the train but I cant help with that. Rent will be expensive (1500-2k for a 1bedroom), the weather is horrible half the year but amazing for 3-4 months. That area of NY, what we call "Upstate", is quite nice if youre into the outdoors and camping/hiking/woods etc. Crime wont be much of a concern.

Important question. Where are you living now? If you are not used to the cold the winter will be very tough for you.

I couldn't handle the NY attitude, traffic, parking, and shoebox living.

That being said I have lived and trained in LV. It's like living in a hairdryer - super hot and windy. Entertainment is cheap and you get to see all the fights. You can train with a ton of fighters also. Much cheaper to live in LV than NY.

Unless you develop a gambling/stripper/cocaine problem.

...and many do...

Have you trained at both gyms? Which one do you feel is going to give you all the tools you need to be successful? If you will be training full time 6xweek, multiple times a day, the synchronicity you feel with the instructors and the school, especially your future teammates would be of paramount importance. Cost wise I imagine White Plains vs Vegas might be similar since White Plains is not NYC.
White Plains is home to a lot of people who commute to NYC. Prices are very high. Just not out of this world, ridiculous, laughable, NYC-level high.

Both are, but I'm just more less looking for a good area to live, with low crime, good food, and a good affordable rent, cheaper gas prices/Groceries.. these are the two areas I've narrowed it down to over the last year now. I've been to Vegas and I loved it out there, went to NY as a kid, but not in recent memory, so I can't speak for that..

Just want some input so I know that I choose a good safe area to live/train in, that cost of living is pretty decent, things like that.
I live here now and have been to NY several times as well as having friends there. In Las Vegas, you will save easily 15k in living and training expenses and you will get 3x better accommodations here. Its not even close. My friend lives in a 600sq ft apartment with zero amenities in NY and pays $3200 a month on a sweetheart deal. She trains at MG and its $200 a month more than where I train in LV. Our dues are $100 a month unlimited. I live in a 3/2 in a nice updated house with big fenced front and back yard and pay $1100 a month, with utilities being almost nothing. I live in a shitty neighborhood but everyone looks out for each other. Homeless stay away and I havent seen a squad car here for months. You can get the same house in a nice neighborhood for $1600. You can get good apartments in good areas for $800 all day.

Depending on where you live in LV, you can completely avoid all elements of crime pretty much such as Summerlin. Or you can live in a cheaper area and have to take more precautions. That isnt the case in NYC. Anywhere you go, you are amongst millions of people. People who dont live here complain about the weather more than those who actually live here. I like the weather. No rain, no snow, its cold for 50 days or so a year. The heat isnt bad. Unless you are living in a tent and walking the town barefoot, its fine. I dont even own a car, only a motorcycle, and I am perfectly fine. I walk all the time in the summer and I dont melt. I have AC but only need to use it sparingly, as well as heat. My power bill is $49 a month all year.

The teams in NYC are better. They are also WAY more expensive. There are good teams in LV with adult black belt world champions. I would say Cobrinhas is far from the best in town. Hes never there, they dont have the best guys. Sergio is a great instructor, but he doesnt have a bunch of competitors. Venum has great guys, great facility, but not many members yet, and its the most expensive place in town. If you are high level and want to pay $200 a month, youre set. Drysdales is probably the best in town but also the same price as Venum. Very little nogi there. I work and train at Cobra Kai. We usually win most competitions here, have almost the most members, and we are the most affordable. We also have the most classes. We have less black belt competitors than Drysdales. Coaching is on par with them, although we offer judo and wrestling. We also dont do calesthenics for warm ups which IMO is our best attribute haha.

If you decide to come out here or just want to visit to check it out, let me know. I have accommodated several people who visit from Sherdog or Reddit; thats what I do. Grappling is a lifestyle for me. I try to make my grappling community better as well as my physical community. Bringing more people into that will only help my goals. Hope to see you soon.

I think Vegas has a cheaper cost of living, lower tax rate, and better weather.

If you do go to Vegas, Alliance Las Vegas is a great school

Also, have you ruled out long island? Its similarly situated to NYC in comparison to White Plains (or closer)Depending on where, you could be right in the middle of Serra, Weidman-Longo, LI MMA, Bellmore Kickboxing, Renzo's, Marcelo's, NYC Sambo, a Division I wrestling program (Hofstra), a top JUCO wrestling program (Nassau), and a DIII School in Post. Public transportation is solid. The summers are incredible.

And I want to say this about NYC. I believe that a huge part of its appeal is the mystique of living in such a big, historic, iconic, city. There is constant action, a very fast pace, a ton of energy in the air, etc. Being there you can feel it. If this means anything to you its pretty compelling.

Being from Long Island and having spent many years working and playing in NYC, I say go to Vegas. For all the reasons outlined by Dirty Holt.

Cali might be an option too.

Back