New York or Las Vegas?

I live here now and have been to NY several times as well as having friends there. In Las Vegas, you will save easily 15k in living and training expenses and you will get 3x better accommodations here. Its not even close. My friend lives in a 600sq ft apartment with zero amenities in NY and pays $3200 a month on a sweetheart deal. She trains at MG and its $200 a month more than where I train in LV. Our dues are $100 a month unlimited. I live in a 3/2 in a nice updated house with big fenced front and back yard and pay $1100 a month, with utilities being almost nothing. I live in a shitty neighborhood but everyone looks out for each other. Homeless stay away and I havent seen a squad car here for months. You can get the same house in a nice neighborhood for $1600. You can get good apartments in good areas for $800 all day.

Depending on where you live in LV, you can completely avoid all elements of crime pretty much such as Summerlin. Or you can live in a cheaper area and have to take more precautions. That isnt the case in NYC. Anywhere you go, you are amongst millions of people. People who dont live here complain about the weather more than those who actually live here. I like the weather. No rain, no snow, its cold for 50 days or so a year. The heat isnt bad. Unless you are living in a tent and walking the town barefoot, its fine. I dont even own a car, only a motorcycle, and I am perfectly fine. I walk all the time in the summer and I dont melt. I have AC but only need to use it sparingly, as well as heat. My power bill is $49 a month all year.

The teams in NYC are better. They are also WAY more expensive. There are good teams in LV with adult black belt world champions. I would say Cobrinhas is far from the best in town. Hes never there, they dont have the best guys. Sergio is a great instructor, but he doesnt have a bunch of competitors. Venum has great guys, great facility, but not many members yet, and its the most expensive place in town. If you are high level and want to pay $200 a month, youre set. Drysdales is probably the best in town but also the same price as Venum. Very little nogi there. I work and train at Cobra Kai. We usually win most competitions here, have almost the most members, and we are the most affordable. We also have the most classes. We have less black belt competitors than Drysdales. Coaching is on par with them, although we offer judo and wrestling. We also dont do calesthenics for warm ups which IMO is our best attribute haha.

If you decide to come out here or just want to visit to check it out, let me know. I have accommodated several people who visit from Sherdog or Reddit; thats what I do. Grappling is a lifestyle for me. I try to make my grappling community better as well as my physical community. Bringing more people into that will only help my goals. Hope to see you soon.
Thanks for the input man. I want to know why you want me to overlook Corbinha's though? I've heard nothing, but great things about Professor Hector. He also has students that medaled at Worlds last year and is currently coaching Claudia Gadelha.

I trained in under a Black Belt of Sergio's once and that's what he pretty much told me, that you get a mix of folks, but it's just more Hobbyists than anything..

Yea, I'm definitely gonna stop in Cobra Kai, I've heard awesome things about that Gym.

Venum's BJJ Classes are now being ran by Renato and Raquel if I'm correct, right? I definitely wanna at least drop in and see 'em.

If I made a Gym my home, it would be Cobrinha's in Summerlin, Drysdale's, or Alliance under the Jimenez's. Others would just be drop ins (at least that's how I feel for now.)

I'm soley wanting to compete, that's my main focus, so I want the best training I can get, with the best coach and the best teammates.

For quality of life NY would be a terrible choice. Remember you don't need a place with 20 great schools, you just need one. I'm sure they're are some gems in places you haven't thought of. Another factor is the availability of regular tournaments if that's your desire. In that case southern CA has everyone beat.

I live in NYC currently. It is a fantastic city with great food, entertainment options, diversity, history, and tons of other positives. If all you want to do is train bjj full time it might be one of the most expensive places in the world to do that. If you're not going to enjoy the other things that make the city great don't come. It would be a waste in my opinion.

When I moved to Vegas to embrace the BJJ life as a youngin, I got a studio for $320 including cable and utilities. It was a rough area but I never had any issues. And to add to the list of Matts, no state income tax here. Your dollar goes way further here.

Also, I won't get into the battle of what gym is better but why move to embrace the lifestyle and go to a gym that hasnt produced the best talent in the city, much less on a world stage.

How is coaching a mma fighter relevant to where you will be able to train jiu jitsu best?
I'm just saying in general, he trains successful, well known people. My friend also stopped by there before worlds last year and wouldn't stop bragging on how technical Hector is and how tough the rolls were.

When I moved to Vegas to embrace the BJJ life as a youngin, I got a studio for $320 including cable and utilities. It was a rough area but I never had any issues. And to add to the list of Matts, no state income tax here. Your dollar goes way further here.

Also, I won't get into the battle of what gym is better but why move to embrace the lifestyle and go to a gym that hasnt produced the best talent in the city, much less on a world stage.
What area were you in? I'm looking more of the Summerlin area..

Cobrinha Las Vegas and Essential both are producing world champions, both have multiple time world champion instructors at the Black Belt level..

If I move to Vegas, It's gonna be Cobrinha's, Drysdale's, or Alliance.

If I move to NY, it's JT Torres's Gym all day.

I wanna be in the honey hole were there's legit world class competitors and not just an average joe hobbyist.

I'm just more less wanting to know what area would be safe living, has good food, good people, affordable costs, and elite training.

Can't go wrong with both, but it's like, once I make the move, that's it. I don't wanna be that guy to be remembered as bouncing from Gym to Gym. I wanna pick one and hopefully train there until Black Belt. you feel me?

What world champion has Cobrinha Las Vegas produced? Why not train at the school that made Hector the world champion? Same sentiment with Raul. Drysdale churns out talent, neither school competing in your list has that track record yet.

It was Charleston and Boulder, Summerlin will cost you a bit more unless you commute from North Vegas.

If you hold JT in high regard, maybe ask him what gym he recommends in Vegas (if you choose this city).

I agree 100% with Ice 9. I moved here about 10 months ago. Jiujitsu was my #1 priority. I went to every single gym in town. Im talking every one. Before you make a choice, check out the gyms, because the ones you are leaning heavy on, I think you may have a skewed idea of the gym. Yes, Cobrinha and Alliance have good gym hq's. Affiliates in different cities such as vegas, although it is listed who trains there or who coaches there, its often less than honest. I would be extremely surprised if a black belt adult world champion was spending more than a few days a year at some of the places you think is their home gym.

Word.

I trained at Cobra Kai when Laimon ran it. Got kicked out of Cavalcanti's and I had known Laimon from Beverly Hills Jiu Jitsu, where he got kicked out of. While I trained there I never lost a match in competition. Last I heard Sim Go ran it. GOOD SHIT THERE. I suggest checking it out.

I agree 100% with Ice 9. I moved here about 10 months ago. Jiujitsu was my #1 priority. I went to every single gym in town. Im talking every one. Before you make a choice, check out the gyms, because the ones you are leaning heavy on, I think you may have a skewed idea of the gym. Yes, Cobrinha and Alliance have good gym hq's. Affiliates in different cities such as vegas, although it is listed who trains there or who coaches there, its often less than honest. I would be extremely surprised if a black belt adult world champion was spending more than a few days a year at some of the places you think is their home gym.
Like I said, my friend stopped in at Cobrinha's before the Worlds last year and he said they're were a lot of medalists on the mats and also just couldn't stop bragging on how technical the teachings were. Also from time to time, I hear there's special guest appearances by guys like Cobrinha himself and Isaac Doederlin for example.

Alliance LV has the 2018 purple belt World Champ Roberto Jimenez and his Dad Raul who's a multiple time medalist at Black Belt.. so I feel safe will both of these choosings.

I definitely will come and hit up different Gyms before I soley just commit to one over the Internet. Like I said, for now, it's a choice between Corbinha's, Alliance, or Drysdale's. Venum isn't out of the question and neither is Cobra Kai.

I'm more less wanting to be at a hotspot for elite level grapplers, while also being in the midst of a family like environment and where everyone checks their ego at the mat.

What world champion has Cobrinha Las Vegas produced? Why not train at the school that made Hector the world champion? Same sentiment with Raul. Drysdale churns out talent, neither school competing in your list has that track record yet.

It was Charleston and Boulder, Summerlin will cost you a bit more unless you commute from North Vegas.
Raul has made Roberto into what he is right now, Roberto took double Gold last year at worlds.

Hector has made several, he's even coached Micael Galvao, who IMO, is the next prodigy.

Vegas has better hookers:)

So I've been told:oops:

Back