New to weight lifting, I have a few Q's.

DaveMustaine

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
I want to put on maybe 5 or 10 pounds of muscle. If I bought 2 dumbells with adjustable weights, would I be able to target most major muscle groups effectively to increase mass? We have a machine in my house, but my understanding is that machines are usually less effective for functional strength than free weights. Would there be many/any muscles that the dumbells will not be able to help me target? I would go to a gym, but among martial arts, school, and other things, it would be much more convenient if I could lift at home. Any other pointers? Thanks.

Read the sticky's!

Then come back if you have more questions

Dumbells good

Dumbells plus barbell better

Dumbells plus barbell, powerrack and bench = more fun than you can shake a stick at

How many pounds of weight do you have with the dumbells? I you have less than 200 you'll have to buy more weight, 200 being bare minimum.

Do you have a flat bench? If not you'll have to do floor presses.

Here are the best exercises you can do

Press
Floor press
Neutral grip floor press
Overhaed Press
Neutral grip Overhead Press
DB Push Press
Bent Press

Pull
High Pulls
Power Clean
Deadlifts
Stiff legged Deadlifts
One arm snatch
One arm Clean
One arm Row
Shrugs
2 dumbell bent over Row

Legs (here's the bigger Problem)
Lunges
Step ups
Deadlifts

Noskill said:
How many pounds of weight do you have with the dumbells? I you have less than 200 you'll have to buy more weight, 200 being bare minimum.

Press
Floor press
Neutral grip floor press
Overhaed Press
DB Push Press
Bent Press

Pull
High Pulls
Power Clean
Deadlifts
Stiff legged Deadlifts
One arm snatch
One arm Clean
One arm Row
Shrugs
2 dumbell bent over Row

Lunges
Step ups
Deadlifts

Nice list but legs no problem = pistols!

No flat bench (might be able to find a makeshift one, or I might buy one later) and I haven't bought the dumbells yet. I wanted to know if it would be a good idea before I did it. So pretty much I should be good to go with enough weights? Thanks guys.

Eat like a motherfucker, Do a lot of curls with the dumb bells, shoulder presses and weighted squats.

Should be good to go within a few months.

DaveMustaine said:
I want to put on maybe 5 or 10 pounds of muscle. If I bought 2 dumbells with adjustable weights, would I be able to target most major muscle groups effectively to increase mass? We have a machine in my house, but my understanding is that machines are usually less effective for functional strength than free weights. Would there be many/any muscles that the dumbells will not be able to help me target? I would go to a gym, but among martial arts, school, and other things, it would be much more convenient if I could lift at home. Any other pointers? Thanks.

I saw you and the rest of Megadeath at the Jones Beach Theartre over the summer. Great show Dave, Good Morning Black Friday was awesome.

Yeah no rack is a problem, im in the same exact situation as you, i have dumbells and a barbel, withh 200 lbs in plates, i also got a mashine for the pulldowns, only problem i have is legs, you should be able to get everything done, the major workout dont need to much, deadlift you need a bar and a bench would be usefull,

also wtf are pistols spficllay refering to leg workouts, i google it and all i get is gun shit.

PariahCarey said:
I saw you and the rest of Megadeath at the Jones Beach Theartre over the summer. Great show Dave, Good Morning Black Friday was awesome.

Were you the guy with the black hat? I think I remember you...?

Noskill said:

Press
Floor press
Neutral grip floor press
Overhaed Press
DB Push Press
Bent Press

Pull
High Pulls
Power Clean
Deadlifts
Stiff legged Deadlifts
One arm snatch
One arm Clean
One arm Row
Shrugs
2 dumbell bent over Row

Lunges
Step ups
Deadlifts
For legs, surely you can also work hack squats, front squats and overhead squats

ALternating jumping lunges are a killer.

Back