New to Muay Thai kickboxing want 2 improve! Tips?

MuaithaiViper

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Hey new member and been doing kickboxing for 3 months, mainly heavy bag work.

I used to go nuts on the bag thinking that power was everything. After a few lessons from level 2 Muay Thai guys at my gym I realized I was approaching this all wrong.

This is my thought and plan, please feel free to give me input.

1. Work on basic form punches and kicks. Especially my jab and cross
2. Work on foot work. Dance around the bag, body movement, practice bop and weave, blocking ect.
3. Work on simple basic combination 3 hits the most

I've been watching boxing tips on You tube.com I believe that if I get good with boxing techniques it will be much more beneficial from the start.

Footwork footwork footwork, I've been doing doing classes for 3 months also. I noticed that what I worked on during the shadowboxing portion of the class was all wrong. The first thing I lost during sparring was my feet. I could still kick, knee, and punch on auto pilot but I still had to think about my foot placement. Especially practice J-turns, that is this best defense to any strike I think.

Also try to work out any idiot mistakes in your game like trying to block kicks with you hands. You can't grab the leg every time.

saying you do Muay Thai Kickboxing is like saying you do Kung fu Karate. They are nothing alike.

saying you do Muay Thai Kickboxing is like saying you do Kung fu Karate. They are nothing alike.

reminds me when people say Muay Thai Boxing....Muay Thai translates to Thai Boxing so they're saying Thai Boxing Boxing.

reminds me when people say Muay Thai Boxing....Muay Thai translates to Thai Boxing so they're saying Thai Boxing Boxing.

They want to show a particular emphasis on the boxing part... :icon_chee

Getting the techniques right. And most important, build your cardio! Running helps...a lot.

practise checking kicks. and using ur check to set up a big front kick or something.

a thing i like to do is spar with someone, and everytime they step forward, turning kick to the front leg. every time. u can do variations obv. with fron kick, side kick, or inside leg kick.

this helps alot with timing and is a good way to get your kicks on lockdown.

Just work on whatever your trainer tells you to, he more than anyone else, should know what you need work on.

Yeah I agree with the above, your trainer will be watching how you move and throw techniques and will know what you need to work on

Some things you can do:

Get someone to whale on you while you only concentrate on defending. This is usually very helpfull in the start as you get more relaxed with being pressured and hopefully learn how to defend yourself at all times.

Footwork, shadowbox while moving, dance around the heavy bag, do padwork with someone where you move a lot.

Do as legshot420 says, and let me add, as a trainer.

Be patient.

Your trainer can probably point out a million things you should be doing, but you need to give yourself and your trainer some time to work things in.

Back