New to fighting

newbie36

White Belt
Reaction score
How's it going. Im a fireman living in the Rancho Cucamonga Ca area and have been interested in "learning" how to fight mma style. I am in good shape and think I could definitely benefit physically and mentally from learning the different mma styles (muay thai, grappling etc.) Shit I can't even remember the last time I fought and probably don't even know how to properly fight.

I have a few questions.

1. Is there a reputable school in my area that will accept a student like myself with NO fighting experience?

2. Is there long waiting lists for this school?

3. What is the general cost for training?

Thank you

How's it going. Im a fireman living in the Rancho Cucamonga Ca area and have been interested in "learning" how to fight mma style. I am in good shape and think I could definitely benefit physically and mentally from learning the different mma styles (muay thai, grappling etc.) Shit I can't even remember the last time I fought and probably don't even know how to properly fight.

I have a few questions.

1. Is there a reputable school in my area that will accept a student like myself with NO fighting experience?

2. Is there long waiting lists for this school?

3. What is the general cost for training?

Thank you

Newbie,

Welcome. Most schools will accept new students regardless of experience level. Some training camps will be invite only. For schools near you, check out the school directory at the top of the page and see if anything comes up in your area. I know theres a few places in Ontario, which is close to you. Tough to give you a "general" cost of training, as it varies quite a bit based on location, quality of instruction, etc. Theres a thread around here recently called "How much does your gym cost" and you could search for that and see what a baseline could be.

Im not sure where the "school directory is" on the site. Sorry

http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f11/school-directory-183311/

Also, a quick google search will work wonders, as I believe these are all in your area:

Dobler's Muay Thai Kickboxing
9057 Arrow Route
Rancho Cucamonga, California, 91730
United States

Banke BAAD BOY
Boxing at the Y.M.C.A
215 West "C" St.
Ontario
CA
909-986-5847
909-319-0261

Battle Ground
Boxing Club
(For Women)
5550 Jurupa Ave.
Ontario
CA
951-202-5643

Ontario PAL Boxing
221 W. California St.
Ontario
CA
909-395-2874

California Kickboxing
and Fitness Club
26 East Colorado Blvd.
Lower level
Pasadena
CA
626-585-8663

Classic Kickboxing
91 East Union St
Pasadena
CA
626-796-6387

Pasadena
Boxing Gym
363 E. Villa St.
Pasadena
CA
626-744-6531

Sityodtong LA
3636 E. Colorado Blvd
Pasadena
CA
626-577-7800

Elite
Boxing Academy
185 W Arrow Hwy
Pomona
CA
909-596-6921

San Bernardino
More Than Conquerors
Boxing Club
839 N. Mt. Vernon Ave
San Bernardino
CA
909-240-5452
909-883-4560

The New Jurupa
5626 Mission Blvd.
Rubidoux
CA
-
951-823-3456
951-202-7988

Got ahead of myself. Thanks for your help.
Do you have any feedback on The Sharktank in Rancho Cucamonga?

I dont, but their contact info is in that last link I posted. Just give 'em a call and ask questions, its the best way. Most places will let you train at least once to see if you like it. Narrow down the list on the phone, and then check out as many as possible. Training aint cheap so you might as well make sure youre at a place that suits you.

Great thanks for the advice!

I was wondering.....if I were to visit one of these places, are they going to throw me right into a cage with a fighter and beat the sh*t out of me to see if I like it?:icon_surp

I don't know what to expect, any ideas?

I was wondering.....if I were to visit one of these places, are they going to throw me right into a cage with a fighter and beat the sh*t out of me to see if I like it?:icon_surp

No dude, dont worry about it. You wont be fighting the first day. At least for stand-up, most places will have you transition from classes or just being coached on the basics, then on to partner drills, then to situational sparring, all before finally moving on to full sparring. Thats a process that could be at least weeks, and possibly months in the works.

lol wouldnt that be one hell of a first day

Yeah, that ain't no joke. I ran into a kid one day. We started talking about MMA blah blah. His buddy went to a place to join the gym and train. They put him in a cage with a well rounded amateur. This guy beat the f*ck out of this poor guy. All because they "gym" wanted to see what he had.

I'm not sure if it's true, but I can generally tell when people are lying. I don't think this kid was lying.

This is why I asked

Definitely check out Millenia Jiu Jitsu in Rancho Cucamonga. Great gym with experienced instructors such as William Sriyapai and Javier Vasquez. I've been to their gym to spar and their facility is top notch; they have a weight training area, heavy bag area, a store, ring, and cage.

Here is their website:

Millennia Jiu-Jitsu - Home

Yeah, that ain't no joke. I ran into a kid one day. We started talking about MMA blah blah. His buddy went to a place to join the gym and train. They put him in a cage with a well rounded amateur. This guy beat the f*ck out of this poor guy. All because they "gym" wanted to see what he had.

I'm not sure if it's true, but I can generally tell when people are lying. I don't think this kid was lying.

This is why I asked
Sounds like the kid probably went in there with a massive chip on his shoulder and probably made some really stupid remarks to piss someone off, and they gave him a trial by fire.

Sounds like the kid probably went in there with a massive chip on his shoulder and probably made some really stupid remarks to piss someone off, and they gave him a trial by fire.

Agreed.

Thanks to everyone. I have contacted Millenia by email. Now I hae to figure out how I am going to swing the 150.00 a month. Pricey.

Coincidentally, Do I have to purchase all my gear or do they provide stuff?

Thanks again

the don't gonna kick You'r but until You dont gona lern something so...
no wories :)

Back