New spirituality?

Lol, ok. I must not be intelligent enough to understand your insight.

*bows out gracefully

Wasn't saying that. Wasn't implying that. You seem like a smart dude, for sure.

I tend to type the way I speak to people irl, but don't you ever, ever make the mistake of thinking that you are more intelligent that I.

Wasn't saying that. Wasn't implying that. You seem like a smart dude, for sure.

I tend to type the way I speak to people irl, but don't you ever, ever make the mistake of thinking that you are more intelligent that I.

Well I was simply basing it on what you said..

No, YOU don't know what I'm talking about. I'm doing my best to explain it to you, but it's not the easiest concept to explain. You might say it's outside the box thinking. And you don't seem like the brightest bulb in the box.
:icon_conf

Basically you are trying to say that since we can't prove or do not know certain answers yet, then the explanation must be spiritual or God or outside of this world... but that's just a logical fallacy. I'm aware that "science" does not have all the answers, but the point of science is to try and find all these answers with proof and testable results. It's not people acting like robots or whatever you're saying, it's simply just people wanting to know the right answer, or at least an explanation as to why certain things happen and/or exist.

If your beliefs/opinions disagree with the results of science, then you should have a pretty good explanation as to why your belief is valid... otherwise it will not be respected or listened to by most people.

Well I was simply basing it on what you said..

:icon_conf

It's not people acting like robots or whatever you're saying, it's simply just people wanting to know the right answer, or at least an explanation as to why certain things happen and/or exist.

If your beliefs/opinions disagree with the results of science, then you should have a pretty good explanation as to why your belief is valid... otherwise it will not be respected or listened to by most people.

The "brightest bulb in the box" was playful, but I refuse to put lol or a smiley after every jokey post I make. Dumbass, I wasn't calling you stupid. :) lol haha

Basically you are trying to say that since we can't prove or do not know certain answers yet, then the explanation must be spiritual or God or outside of this world... but that's just a logical fallacy.

lol no that's not what I was saying, at all. I'm saying science isn't equipped to answer certain questions, and it will NEVER be able to. Like the quote from Contact I used earlier, you will never be able to prove for a fact that you love your dad. But it's a fact none the less.

My whole convo with you has been about SHIFTING YOUR PERSPECTIVE. You only seem to be able to think analytically. Which is great for some things. I do it myself every day. But there are other ways to view things. I'll bet you're the type who sees being in love as a purely chemical reaction, and nothing more. And if you keep that view and apply it to everything, you're going to miss out on a lot of what life has to offer. Science is one tool to interpet reality. It's not the only one. And reality is far too complex for science alone to explain.

Why are you here (alive)? Science will never in a million years answer that for you. But spirituality might.

I'll reply to ya when I get back mate. Funnily enough I have to go and take the rents to christmas mass lol. Gotta keep em happy.

The "brightest bulb in the box" was playful, but I refuse to put lol or a smiley after every jokey post I make. Dumbass, I wasn't calling you stupid. :) lol haha

lol no that's not what I was saying, at all. I'm saying science isn't equipped to answer certain questions, and it will NEVER be able to. Like the quote from Contact I used earlier, you will never be able to prove for a fact that you love your dad. But it's a fact none the less.

My whole convo with you has been about SHIFTING YOUR PERSPECTIVE. You only seem to be able to think analytically. Which is great for some things. I do it myself every day. But there are other ways to view things. I'll bet you're the type who sees being in love as a purely chemical reaction, and nothing more. And if you keep that view and apply it to everything, you're going to miss out on a lot of what life has to offer. Science is one tool to interpet reality. It's not the only one. And reality is far too complex for science alone to explain.

Why are you here (alive)? Science will never in a million years answer that for you. But spirituality might.

I missed that quote from Contact earlier . . . That's a really good one. I'll have to remember that.

I missed that quote from Contact earlier . . . That's a really good one.

lol yeah that one stuck with me as soon as I heard it. Haven't read the book, but I'm assuming it's in there, which would make it a Carl Sagan quote. (I just can't call it a Matthew Mcconaughey quote, I just can't :) )

Some relatively intelligent discussion. No shit flinging in a religious/atheist battle, odd but good to see.

Some relatively intelligent discussion. No shit flinging in a religious/atheist battle, odd but good to see.

Reluctant to post, simply because that's what you usually get around here. Completely polarized discussion with no compromise. Glad to see it's not so bad this time around. Christmas "spirit" perhaps? lol

*edit
Read this and tell me that we understand all of reality.
QdZRZ.jpg

Last edited:
Never heard of it but ill check it out. Thanks for sharing.

Just as a brief synopsis...

The author takes us through three cases of research into exotic forms of matter, two military, and one which was discovered by chance. All well sourced. The magic of the book is how he relates these discoveries to the ancient alchemical texts.

It's not a book on spirituality, but it dovetails with the ancient and medieval/renaissance ideas of alchemy and the transmutation of matter out of a prime undifferentiated substance (prima materia) underlying all conventional matter.

That's not new spirituality, it's very traditional in both the old world and the American continents.

Just as a brief synopsis...

The author takes us through three cases of research into exotic forms of matter, two military, and one which was discovered by chance. All well sourced. The magic of the book is how he relates these discoveries to the ancient alchemical texts.

It's not a book on spirituality, but it dovetails with the ancient and medieval/renaissance ideas of alchemy and the transmutation of matter out of a prime undifferentiated substance (prima materia) underlying all conventional matter.

Exotic forms of matter?

Exotic forms of matter?

Hard to explain succinctly and in brief.

Skip to around 5:30 and you can start to get an idea, from the author himself. Poke Runyon is the most boring interviewer ever and has many biases, but don't let that discredit the author.

11:15 has a specific example, and is one of the 3 cases he studies in the book.

Also, Astrology is a completely discredited subject to all materialists, but it's unlikely you can get through this book without seriously questioning that. One of the most well written and well researched books I've ever read, literally life-changing.
http://www.cosmosandpsyche.com/

Last edited:
There is a set of beliefs and viewpoints which seem to be increasingly common in these times. Many of these ideas have been floating around the intellectual/religious underground for years but it seems that in this age of zeitgeist and information overload it has become much more acceptable to express them openly. Things like auras, chakras, spirit guides, shamanism, mediumship, various alternative healing methods, premonitions, channelling, kirilian photography, crystals etc.
There are many,many more im sure im forgetting here but you get the idea. So where do you stand on these or any others you can think of? Is your mind open to the idea of any of them? If so why? And if not, why not?

They are becoming more and more popular nowadays because New Age spirituality requires nothing of you and there is no commitment needed, and you can make it fit you whereas with Christianity you have to fit yourself to it and ask for God's grace.

It's completely different, and nowadays when there is such a prevalence of chest thumping, nobody tells me what to do, iconoclastic thinking, something that you control entirely is much more common.

They are becoming more and more popular nowadays because New Age spirituality requires nothing of you and there is no commitment needed, and you can make it fit you whereas with Christianity you have to fit yourself to it and ask for God's grace.

It's completely different, and nowadays when there is such a prevalence of chest thumping, nobody tells me what to do, iconoclastic thinking, something that you control entirely is much more common.

And "fitting" yourself to a set of fixed, immovable, ancient beliefs is a good thing?

lol yeah that one stuck with me as soon as I heard it. Haven't read the book, but I'm assuming it's in there, which would make it a Carl Sagan quote. (I just can't call it a Matthew Mcconaughey quote, I just can't :) )

I enjoy that quote too, but, about a year ago, I did a little investigating on how well it actually applies to the God argument.

If I remember correctly, it didn't fair too well. The reason is because, at base, "love" is widely considered to be an abstract idea. Since many unbelievers claim that God is also an abstract idea, you can begin to see why the comparison doesn't help the position of the theist.

Edit - I see your dubs and enjoy your posts. Don't get yourself banned, Nug.

I generally agree. Psychologists have made some progress in understanding behaviour, emotions, and thinking from an observable, "scientific" point of view. However, their reliance on the scientific method has led them to all but ignore (until the relatively recent past) the role that our thoughts play in our behaviour and emotions because thoughts themselves cannot be objectively observed. The thinker can only observe his or her own thoughts and to be able to do so reliably, clearly, and anywhere near "objectively" takes dedicated training.

I have a strong interest in Buddhism, psychology, and meditation, and you could say that this is where these three areas overlap. Certain meditation approaches train the individual to increase his concentration and to use that concentration to become more aware of his thoughts, body sensations, and emotions. Much has been written about the discoveries of those who've dedicated a lot of time and effort into investigating these connections and it is indeed very complex.

I have to say I kinda believe in Aura's. I was pushed to see this healer when I was in Holland a few years back, and this woman was describing my aura, the colors and what they meant, and they were all extremely accurate. I dont't mean things like "I see great things in your future" bullshit, but personal shit, like some dark colour that was sadness for recently losing someone very close ( I had lost my father a two months earlier) and some colour that represented addiction ( I was doing a lot of drugs at the time, but you couldnt see shit on my face) plus some other personal stuff. She also described my moods and wants in life perfectly.

I'm a skeptic by nature and I went in to that woman with about 10% belief in this stuff and came out believing about 80% (you can never be sure). I became much more open to these kind of things as well. Chakras, meditation and whatnot. I also think these things are not new age, but a pretty old knowledge.

Back