New Original Unique Awesome Weight Class Idea

Good idea TS. Well done.
The lot on here will probably hate it.

Yeah, you power tripping moderators are consistent.

yes, thats why the majority of fighters are there

which is exactly why if you are going to redo the classes, you make the gap between those classes smaller to spread the fighters between divisions more and give the "average" male more optins

you say its an awful idea, then go on to pretty much state exactly why its a good idea. :D

Why should the average male have more options? That makes no sense to me. Ok, from 155 to 185 lets have a friggin' weight class for every single pound.

Instead of 145lb-185lb covering the 4 most subscribed divisions, you want 145lb-193lb to cover those 4 divisions. If people were saying the gaps were too big before how is making them bigger going to help.

the gap should get bigger as you move up - bigger guys can cut more water.

There is too much weight cutting. Having a weight class every 10 pounds will just lead to more weight cutting, not less.

Nah

HW/LHW is shit enough already

Don't need any more classes up there

But is it fair to have guys who cut to 265 fight guys who weigh 225? Yeah, there are fedor-like freaks, but generally it is a huge advantage for the giant dude.

But is it fair to have guys who cut to 265 fight guys who weigh 225? Yeah, there are fedor-like freaks, but generally it is a huge advantage for the giant dude.
Not at all

The best HWs in history have always been between 220-245lbs

There should be no upper limit to HW

Getting rid of 205 altogether is a better idea than adding new weight classes up there

Not at all

The best HWs in history have always been between 220-245lbs

There should be no upper limit to HW

A lot, sure, but not all. There are some huge and talented heavyweights.

If the only way to get my 10 percent span implemented, I could go with no limit on super heavyweight.

A lot, sure, but not all. There are some huge and talented heavyweights.

If the only way to get my 10 percent span implemented, I could go with no limit on super heavyweight.
Not a bad concept

Get rid of your top two weight classes and make 212 the highest weight

That works great

Oh yeah and make 130 the starting weight, not 120

Why you keep bumping this thread lol? I dont want to read it all to figure it out.

Because one day it will be recognized as the greatest post in the history of sherdog!

Actually, I wanted to comment on what some had said.

I'm tired of all the arbitrary numbers being thrown around. "The jump from 155 to 170 is too big" blah, blah.

The only absolute fair way is to pick a starting point and go up a standard percentage from there. Lets say we want the smallest division to be 120. My standard increase will be 10 percent. (rounded up or down to nearest whole number).

New divisions could be:

Yes, that is 9 divisions, up from 8 now, but I think they're spread out more evenly and fairly. 10% is a good number to spread out the divisions. Sorry, but I don't feel the need to have 4 divisions 155 and under. As you go up, the spread should get wider - a 200 pound guy can cut more water than a 150 pound guy.

For those of you who want superheavyweight freakshows, good luck. There just aren't enough talented big guys to make that division. I'm fine with bumping 234 to 235 and 257 to 265 and other such MINOR adjustments.

Range on smallest 3 divisions: 25 pounds
Range on middle 3 divisions: 33 pounds
Range on top 3 divisions: 45 pounds

Sounds fair to me. flame away.
Like the idea. Though there's not enough talent right now for 234. Mine would be:
132: BW
145: FW
160: LW
176: WW
193: MW
212: LHW
213+: HW

someone has a bad idea and starts a thread about it

18 months later, its only 3 pages long (emphasises the lack of support for his idea) but TS keeps bumping it anyway..

someone has a bad idea and starts a thread about it

18 months later, its only 3 pages long (emphasises the lack of support for his idea) but TS keeps bumping it anyway..

Bump.

I'm tired of all the arbitrary numbers being thrown around. "The jump from 155 to 170 is too big" blah, blah.

The only absolute fair way is to pick a starting point and go up a standard percentage from there. Lets say we want the smallest division to be 120. My standard increase will be 10 percent. (rounded up or down to nearest whole number).

New divisions could be:

I like the distribution of ranges you included in this list, proportional to bodyweight.
My issues are with 120 lbs (I think we can safely scrap it and keep 135), and 234 and 257 could be moved a bit higher each.

Why percentage? It seems arbitrary. Just pick a starting point and every 10 or 15 lbs. IMO 15.That still gives you 9 classes.
240+

Why percentage? It seems arbitrary. Just pick a starting point and every 10 or 15 lbs. IMO 15.That still gives you 9 classes.
240+

Arbitrary is saying one every 15 pounds.

Smaller guys can't cut weight like the big guys can. The gap needs to get bigger as you go up.

Arbitrary is saying one every 15 pounds.

Smaller guys can't cut weight like the big guys can. The gap needs to get bigger as you go up.
People will cut weight no matter what. Isnt the point in weight classes to have the opponents be close in size? Why would the bigger classes need a bigger gap?

One thing to keep in mind also is that the weight classes account for the fact that there's a certain size where the muscles can generate enough force to do finishing damage to bones, joints, etc. and the difference in weight doesn't matter as much.

That's why in boxing it's not a big deal for a 220 pound guy to fight a 250 pound guy. They both hit hard enough to KTFO the other. Whereas a 120-pound guy versus a 150-pound guy is way different.

Back