New 'low fat' Muscle Milk!

HP_Nut

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
I was buying a multi at GNC when I saw new MM packaging.

Nutrition info
total fat 12 g (18 g before)
sat fat at 3 g (8 g before)

I stopped using MM after reading up on MCT, MM's dominant sat fat (little scientific support and/or minimal health benefit: Healthnotes).

This lower fat MM is great for those who had reservations about MM fat.

BTW, I'm in Canada (maybe the US doesn't have it).

Interesting...I'm considering taking muscle milk but haven't figured out how to incooperate it (if I should at all) since I don't lift much and only do BJJ. I don't think I will end up getting any.

Hmm.. I too only do BJJ, but I try to do 2 classes a day which is 2 hours and a half and I've been taking muscle milk along with healthy foods and I went from 180 to 165 yayy.

I stopped using MM after reading up on MCT, MM's dominant sat fat (little scientific support and/or minimal health benefit: Healthnotes).

Irrelevant. Nothing harmful about the fat content, even if it's not particularly helpful for your body-type, doesn't matter. This is like the egg/cholesterol argument. Bottom-line, nothing wrong with whole eggs. Same with this type of fat.

King Kabuki said:
Irrelevant. Nothing harmful about the fat content, even if it's not particularly helpful for your body-type, doesn't matter. This is like the egg/cholesterol argument. Bottom-line, nothing wrong with whole eggs. Same with this type of fat.

Hmm, so you'd eat a regular omelette instead of making an egg white omelette?

So how do you guys reccomend I use MM if I'm trying to lose weight and only do BJJ?

LCDforMe said:
So how do you guys reccomend I use MM if I'm trying to lose weight and only do BJJ?
Well, worked for me. It helped me lose weight, but this is while trying to eat as HEALTHY as I can.

King Kabuki said:

I concede you know more than I, but if MCTs have no effect on carb sparing in studies, doesn't that raise questions about fat storage? (since MM has high sat fat).

BTW, the new label didn't have MCT, & MCT wasn't included in the ingredients.

Hmm, so you'd eat a regular omelette instead of making an egg white omelette?

Yes. And actually my step-dad is a former competitive bodybuilder and Boxer, and recently his doctor told him he needed MORE saturated fats in his eating. He said his percentages of good fats was getting way too low. He said it's from years and years of eating fat-free and low-fat foods. Now he has to have egg yolks and cheese, and he specifically used to have egg white omelettes all the time.

I concede you know more than I, but if MCTs have no effect on carb sparing in studies, doesn't that raise questions about fat storage? (since MM has high sat fat).

BTW, the new label didn't have MCT, & MCT wasn't included in the ingredients.

The thing about standard muscle milk is that the saturated fats aren't even that high (8g), and neither is the simple carbs (6g), that could be a whole lot worse. When matched with the 32g of protein it's not a bad blend at all. There are always studies to debunk every single "super supplement" out there that has a very, VERY good reputation and people begin to spread word about as if it's the second coming.

Bottom line about fats is that people take things too far. When they hear there's "good" and "bad" fats they automatically begin to overload on the "good fats" (when the MCT boom it you should have seen our sales on Coconut Oil, it was insane). Then even further now studies are showing things like egg yolks and bacon weren't as bad as people thought (which makes sense because these were the bulking foods of the early bodybuilders, and most of them are still alive, Columbu, Ah-nold, Ferrigno, etc.) but people automatically assume it's alright to have bacon at every meal. They don't know words like "balance" and "moderation." When using something like Muscle Milk you have to weight it versus the rest of your eating regimen. And you also have to pay attention to when are the best times to use it in a day.

Man, where did you find a doctor that actually suggests eating more saturated fats?? I've pretty much given up talking nutrition with my doctor or the nutritionists I know because our conversations consist of me asking a question and them giving me the popular 'fat is evil' dogma so prevalant everywhere.

i take mega milk... it's alot cheaper(30 for 5lbs from bulknutrition.com) and it's basically the same. The chocolate flavor was kind of nasty, but i like the cookies and cream. I'm using it as basically my diet... i take it 2-3 times a day and thats what i 'eat'. so like <1000 kcals a day and it has been working like a motherfucker... especially with my kickboxing class. My goals are to have bricks by spring... which i'm pretty sure is possible.

i take mega milk... it's alot cheaper(30 for 5lbs from bulknutrition.com) and it's basically the same. The chocolate flavor was kind of nasty, but i like the cookies and cream. I'm using it as basically my diet... i take it 2-3 times a day and thats what i 'eat'. so like <1000 kcals a day and it has been working like a motherfucker... especially with my kickboxing class. My goals are to have bricks by spring... which i'm pretty sure is possible.

Knock-offs are never the same. Things are cheaper for a reason rest-assured. But if it works it works which is all that counts.

Man, where did you find a doctor that actually suggests eating more saturated fats?? I've pretty much given up talking nutrition with my doctor or the nutritionists I know because our conversations consist of me asking a question and them giving me the popular 'fat is evil' dogma so prevalant everywhere.

Mick will tell ya, they're not ALL dogmatic idiots.

King Kabuki said:
Yes. And actually my step-dad is a former competitive bodybuilder and Boxer, and recently his doctor told him he needed MORE saturated fats in his eating. He said his percentages of good fats was getting way too low. He said it's from years and years of eating fat-free and low-fat foods. Now he has to have egg yolks and cheese, and he specifically used to have egg white omelettes all the time.

The thing about standard muscle milk is that the saturated fats aren't even that high (8g), and neither is the simple carbs (6g), that could be a whole lot worse. When matched with the 32g of protein it's not a bad blend at all. There are always studies to debunk every single "super supplement" out there that has a very, VERY good reputation and people begin to spread word about as if it's the second coming.

Bottom line about fats is that people take things too far. When they hear there's "good" and "bad" fats they automatically begin to overload on the "good fats" (when the MCT boom it you should have seen our sales on Coconut Oil, it was insane). Then even further now studies are showing things like egg yolks and bacon weren't as bad as people thought (which makes sense because these were the bulking foods of the early bodybuilders, and most of them are still alive, Columbu, Ah-nold, Ferrigno, etc.) but people automatically assume it's alright to have bacon at every meal. They don't know words like "balance" and "moderation." When using something like Muscle Milk you have to weight it versus the rest of your eating regimen. And you also have to pay attention to when are the best times to use it in a day.

keep in mind though, didnt arnold did have heart surgery? so something he was doing, whether it be steroids or diet had to have an ill effect.

keep in mind though, didnt arnold did have heart surgery? so something he was doing, whether it be steroids or diet had to have an ill effect.

It's this kind of information that is slightly deceiving. Arnold had an aortic valve replaced and a congenital condition corrected. There was no arterial blockage or anything of that sort associated with high cholesterol or health-complications that have anything to do with supplementation or really even drug use. Just because athletes have ailments doesn't necessarily mean they specifically fucked themselves up by being an athlete. Everyone likes to think on that line to bring people down a notch. They're healthy, but not cyborgs. As you age, things break down. AFTER the heart-surgery he became even stronger, and was in better shape at 53 years of age than 43. Keep that in mind.

yea, but just because now they say something is not effected by supplemenetation, diet etc. does not mean it definitely isnt. medical/nutrition info is constantly changing. i am not sure where it was implied that they were "cyborgs", but 43 is not that old, and that is a young age to have heart problems (if that is when he had a heart condition, I am not sure when it was).
i was just saying keep that in mind because saying that they did all this stuff but not mentioning a heart problem is kind of decieving.

that being said, either way, it is not cause/effect evidence, just correlational. and for this reason it should just be "kept in mind" and not used as proving evidence.

Just so there's no confusion, the new label didn't say 'low fat' Muscle Milk. Under "Nutrition Information", I noticed the low fat. A few differences besides less fat:

292 cal vs. 348 on the old label
17 g carb vs. 12 before

either way, MM is best for bulking IMO, so why would you want a low fat version?

me personally, i am on a bulk right now, and MM does not figure into my diet. i only like protein shakes post workout and before i go to sleep. and MM, IMO, is not good for either.

but 43 is not that old, and that is a young age to have heart problems (if that is when he had a heart condition, I am not sure when it was).

Congenital = since birth. Arnold's heart-condition was one he had at birth. If he was taking steroids or supplementing as a toddler, then true enough advancement will have come a LONG way.

yea, but just because now they say something is not effected by supplemenetation, diet etc. does not mean it definitely isnt. medical/nutrition info is constantly changing.

Again, this insinuates some kind of conspiracy-thoery to the witholding of information. It does happen, but at the time in-question Arnold wasn't even an athlete and had openly admitted to doing steroids among other things in his youth, but again people automatically assume steroids/bodybuilding to have been the catalyst. Just like Flex Wheeler's kidney condition. But anyone who does reading on Focal-segmental glumerolosclerosis (I may have misspelled that) will see it has nothing to do with steroids. While certain drugs or activities may not have helped, they did not cause. Similar in Arnold's case. I was using his name to refer to his era of bodybuilding in which foods containing certain kinds of fat were THE (not just "A") staple of bodybuilding, and that these bodybuilders aren't having big-time health issues stemming directly from the use of dietery fat. Thus, his heart-condition is irrelevant to the topic.

either way, MM is best for bulking IMO, so why would you want a low fat version?

me personally, i am on a bulk right now, and MM does not figure into my diet. i only like protein shakes post workout and before i go to sleep. and MM, IMO, is not good for either.

Hmm, so it's good for bulking but not good for you...because you're bulking? Sounds a little odd to me. But here's something even more odd. I use Muscle Milk for cutting. And I use it both post-workout and at night before bed (the slow-digestion of the casein is good for use during sleep where normally the body feeds on muscle glycogen) at various times throughout my regimen.

Point is we've tossed this issue around A LOT in this forum, and studies have been posted as well as every aspect of both the nature of MCT's (as contended by Madmick), versus the specific makeup of this protein, and the concensus (to my knowledge) is that like most other proteins it can work for any purpose so long as a person is cognizant of it's numbers versus the rest of their regimen.

Back