New Jack City (1991) with Snipes, Ice-T, and Chris Rock. RIP Bill Nunn

Let's not forget this movie gave us that musical classic I Want To Sex You Up by Color Me Badd and this song that I still listen to regularly

lmao. That is a pretty terrible song, I admit. But I am actually liking this one, quite the diamond in the rough. Good beat to do some cardio/shadow boxing to.

pretty classic, if you ask me. Would rather listen to this over any mumble rap, auto tune music that comes out today.

The dude in the tank top reminded me of Gee Money (Allen Payne) from the movie. The only thing I recognize the actor in is House of Payne, and I do see he did an episode or two of Fresh Prince. I thought he did quite well in the movie, so I am surprised that he was not in more movies and/or TV.

pretty classic, if you ask me. Would rather listen to this over any mumble rap, auto tune music that comes out today.

The dude in the tank top reminded me of Gee Money (Allen Payne) from the movie. The only thing I recognize the actor in is House of Payne, and I do see he did an episode or two of Fresh Prince. I thought he did quite well in the movie, so I am surprised that he was not in more movies and/or TV.

Allen Payne? Yeah, he should have become a bit more of a known name than he did. He was good in CB4...

Let's not forget this movie gave us that musical classic I Want To Sex You Up by Color Me Badd and this song that I still listen to regularly

Ice T did some epic theme songs back in the day.

Allen Payne? Yeah, he should have become a bit more of a known name than he did. He was good in CB4...

hahaha, that is awesome. I actually wanted to check that movie out in the next couple weeks. I saw it on IMDB after looking up NJC. I saw Phil Hartman (super RIP there, a true GOAT) was in it. Plus Chis Rock and Charlie Murphy. Looks amazing, to be honest.

That is very true about the neutral presence. Dan Lauria is a good counterpart, I don't know who the other guys is (even after googling). Funny tho, because I see he does voice acting for Blizzard Entertainment, and I have a Starcraft avatar.

By the way, I'd say the original Bill Nunn (type) was Frank McRae, who preceded him and had an extensive movie career.

118954_full.jpg

By the way, I'd say the original Bill Nunn (type) was Frank McRae, who preceded him and had an extensive movie career.

118954_full.jpg

That is a very good example. I also feel a more comparable person to William Forsythe would be Ving Rhames? Tho Rhames has had the better career? I feel Forsythe is kind of like a white hybrid of Rhames and Nunn.

That is a very good example. I also feel a more comparable person to William Forsythe would be Ving Rhames? Tho Rhames has had the better career? I feel Forsythe is kind of like a white hybrid of Rhames and Nunn.

Yeah, Ving Rhames is about as close to the black William Forsythe as you can get. Maybe Keith David or Charles Dutton is in the same ball park.

Yeah, Ving Rhames is about as close to the black William Forsythe as you can get. Maybe Keith David or Charles Dutton is in the same ball park.

Haha, Keith David is the guy I actually had in mind, but couldn't remember his name and completely blanked on a movie he was in to reverse find it through IMDB.

Delroy Lindo was the other one I was thinking of, but completely blanked on.

delroy-lindo.jpg

Haha, Keith David is the guy I actually had in mind, but couldn't remember his name and completely blanked on a movie he was in to reverse find it through IMDB.

Delroy Lindo was the other one I was thinking of, but completely blanked on.

delroy-lindo.jpg

Yeah, Lindo crossed my mind as an option. Bill Duke might be another one, or Clarence Williams III. Maybe Yaphet Kotto. Though they aren't as consistently sinister as William Forsythe.

Last edited:
Yeah, Lindo crossed my mind as an option. Bill Duke might be another one.

haha yup, another good one. There are a few others I have in mind. These guys are all memorable (despite blanking on their names). Just very telling of how crucial good supporting actors are. Also very telling to the tiers of actors.

Nunn is below the tier Lindo and Duke, who are both below someone like Rhames. He is below Samuel L Jackson, who is below Morgan Freeman, who is below James Earl Jones. It is all pretty fascinating really, within the microcosm of hollywood. It also reflects in everyday life. Ok, maybe I need to lay of the Sunday drinking.

I think we really need to appreciate Sister Act.

I saw New Jack City when it came out in theaters. I was seriously concerned there was going to be a shoot out in the theater between two guys.

Throughout the whole movie there was a punk in the front talking and cheering on Nino Brown. "Ya, you show 'em Nino", "Nino just Fucked you up!" ...

At the end of the movie when he gets shot by the old guy a booming voice just behind us rises. This dude was mid-30s and about 6'8". He looked like he was an NFL lineman. Dude stands up and says, "I don't see you cheering now". Then he starts to motion like he is going or the kid but he's not walking to the aisle. He's just stepping over rows of seat because he's like 6'8" and that appears to be easier.

The kid took a long look at this mountain sized guy and ran out the emergency exit to the side of the screen. Left his girlfriend on her own.

Now who is the white Whoopi Goldberg...

I would say Rosie O'Donnell. Capable of serious movies and comedies. Also a very accomplished voice actressses and TV personalities. Both also can go on virtue signaling tirades.

edit: I planning on watching A League of their Own this week or next. Watched a number of Tom Hanks films recently. Seen it a few times before, worth a rewatch.

Now who is the white Whoopi Goldberg...

Btw, what is your favorite musical? An acceptable answer would also be that you don't like musicals. But if you do, just curious. I am always up for a good recommendation.

I just rewatched Troy, but the directors cut, on recommendation from someone on sherdog. Was going to bump the Troy vs Kingdom of Heaven thread in the next few days and quote him. Glad I took their advice

Btw, what is your favorite musical? An acceptable answer would also be that you don't like musicals. But if you do, just curious. I am always up for a good recommendation.

I just rewatched Troy, but the directors cut, on recommendation from someone on sherdog. Was going to bump the Troy vs Kingdom of Heaven thread in the next few days and quote him. Glad I took their advice

I don't really like musicals. Lots of people consider Purple Rain a musical, but I don't. If it is, it would be my favorite. Sing Street is in the same category. Would be one of my favorites or my favorite, but I consider it a movie about music as opposed to a true musical.

As for movies where characters actually break into song as a mode of communicating with each other or with the audience... Offhand, I'd go with The Sound of Music, or the animated Beauty and the Beast or Robin Hood. I might be forgetting something though.

Dancer in the Dark, I kind of liked that one.

Last edited:
Back