New Jack City (1991) with Snipes, Ice-T, and Chris Rock. RIP Bill Nunn

cottagecheesefan

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
I just rewatched New Jack City this morning, had not seen it since the early 90s, and had not remembered it well. I thought it did great in showing how brutal crack itself can be, how violent things got during the height of the crack epidemic, and how inner cities (not just NYC), were ignored for the most part.

I only decided to make this thread, because I wanted to comment on how good Chris Rock did in somewhat major part as a crack head, and also do a semi tribute to Bill Nunn. Seems like one of his first major roles outside SNL and being an extra. I have always liked Rock as an actor (and comedian). He always was a great comic to me but, I have a LOT more respect for him as an actor now.

Snipes was Snipes. I think he is a little underrated as an actor from that era. He did show some good emotional range within the premise of his normal bad guy, psychopath persona.

But I thought the pacing was off, and some of the other acting was awful. I looked at IMDB, and it seems this was Ice-T's first acting gig, outside of an uncredited bouncer and playing himself. He was absolutely awful, and showed no range/emotion. I have not seen Law and Order, but I did like him in Surviving the Game. I do not think I have seen him in anything else.

Mario Van Peebles was also the director. I thought he was both a terrible actor and director. A lot of the scenes seemed rushed. It could have been a better, more developed story, but he relied way to much on montages to progress the story, without good dialogue.

Also made the thread to give a RIP shout out to Bill Nunn, who was in the movie. I did not know he died, until I looked up the movie prior to watching it. Only 62, from Leukemia. He is pretty great in the roles he has been in, and did well in this movie, despite not being given many lines.

MV5BMjE1NzE1NTY4NF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwOTM0NDEz._V1_UX214_CR0,0,214,317_AL_.jpg

More of a TV actor, but he has been quite good as a minor supporting character in a number of movies.

Sister Act
New Jack City
Spiderman 1-3
Runaway Jury
Kiss The Girls

edit: overall I give it a 6.5, its avg is 6.6 on IMDB.

edit: I actually meant to include this in my OP and forgot. The Carter Apartment complex reminded me of the premise for Dredd (2012) with Karl Urban. Lena Headey's character had a very similar set up. Obviously Dredd was more about epic violence over the workings of inner city drugs, but they certainly share some overlap. I wouldn't be surprised if the writer/director got some ideas from NJC.

Last edited:
Respeck on the name of Bill Nunn, no doubt. He was also good in Regarding Henry.

And yes, Mario VP isn't a terribly gifted director. Watch Men of Courage (his WW2 movie) with Nicolas Cage to see how much lower he can sink than New Jack City.

Always liked Bill Nunn, didn't realize he had passed.
RIP

King Of New York is a great gritty double feature companion to match with with this one, if you haven’t already seen it

kony-french.jpg

including Laurence Fishburne portraying the very first modern-day ‘gangsta’ onscreen, I think anyways

hqdefault.jpg

King Of New York is a great gritty double feature companion to match with with this one, if you haven’t already seen it

kony-french.jpg

including Lawrence Fishburne portraying the very first modern-day ‘gangsta’ onscreen, I think anyways

hqdefault.jpg

Where da chicken at?

including Laurence Fishburne portraying the very first modern-day ‘gangsta’ onscreen, I think anyways

Here he is raping the hell out of everyone in Death Wish 2 ten years earlier.

laurence-fishburne-death-wish-II-1982-wrap-around-sunglasses.png.jpg

kony-french.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

Dunno how I haven't seen this one. I am a big fan of Walken, Snipes, and Fishburne. Gonna watch it in the next couple days and bump this thread with a comparison.

s-l1000.jpg

Didn't know he died either.

I remember him from a few roles, and totally forgot he was in Spider-Man 1-3.

I liked NJC. But haven't seen it in like a decade.

s-l1000.jpg

Didn't know he died either.

I remember him from a few roles, and totally forgot he was in Spider-Man 1-3.

glad to see him getting some thoughts and respect. I actually just watched Sister Act a month or two ago, and wondered why he wasn't in more movies and hadn't seen him recently.

Btw, Sister Act is probably the GOAT musical of all time. Or at least tied with Pick of Destiny. He nailed his role in that movie, and helped add to the dramatic feel of it all. Even as a huge Abba fan, something like Mamma Mia just doesn't compare. Some older ones compare, like Singin' in the Rain. Wizard of Oz, and some top tier Disney films... but it is Sister Act for me.

It does make you wonder how much race does play a part in movie casting. I feel he is/was as good an actor, as well as distinct/memorable as someone like William Forsythe. Forsythe had a much better film career, where as Nunn was more relegated to TV roles. Here is a picture of Forsythe to jog the memory.

pictures-of-william-forsythe-actor.jpg

Regarding Henry was great.

Underrated film, if you ask me.

JJ Abrams has a cameo as a delivery boy.

It does make you wonder how much race does play a part in movie casting. I feel he is/was as good an actor, as well as distinct/memorable as someone like William Forsythe. Forsythe had a much better film career, where as Nunn was more relegated to TV roles. Here is a picture of Forsythe to jog the memory.

Bill Nunn had a notable film career. But also, William Forsythe is much more identifiable as a character "type." There are certain roles where William Forsythe automatically springs to mind as an option (along with Tom Sizemore, Michael Madsen, etc.).

Bill Nunn had a more neutral presence. I think a more fitting white counterpart might be someone like...Abe Benrubi or Dan Lauria.

I saw this one movie when I was younger and I can't for the life of me remember it.

I feel like it had a bunch of brothas involved in the drug trade and the only scene I can remember in the whole movie is one of the guys running through the streets with a gun. He was running in like a single colored track suit with a gun in one hand and holding his big ass necklace medallion in the other so it didn't bounce all over the place. I kind of remember him running in front of a big fountain at one point.

Is this in either of these movies?

Bill Nunn had a notable film career. But also, William Forsythe is much more identifiable as a character "type." There are certain roles where William Forsythe automatically springs to mind as an option (along with Tom Sizemore, Michael Madsen, etc.).

Bill Nunn had a more neutral presence. I think a more fitting white counterpart might be someone like...Abe Benrubi or Dan Lauria.

That is very true about the neutral presence. Dan Lauria is a good counterpart, I don't know who the other guys is (even after googling). Funny tho, because I see he does voice acting for Blizzard Entertainment, and I have a Starcraft avatar.

I saw this one movie when I was younger and I can't for the life of me remember it.

I feel like it had a bunch of brothas involved in the drug trade and the only scene I can remember in the whole movie is one of the guys running through the streets with a gun. He was running in like a single colored track suit with a gun in one hand and holding his big ass necklace medallion in the other so it didn't bounce all over the place. I kind of remember him running in front of a big fountain at one point.

Is this in either of these movies?

Not this one. Tho a lot of characters had nice, gold chains. Snipes was wearing his around the neck in every scene, even when swimming in the pool and having sex lol.

Must have seen tt more than 10 times.
I loved that movie when I was a lid..

It´s why Lil Wayne named his album The Carter, like the building in the movie.

Must have seen tt more than 10 times.
I loved that movie when I was a lid..

It´s why Lil Wayne named his album The Carter, like the building in the movie.

I didn't know that, very cool! I REALLY liked that aspect of the movie, how it was a pretty well enclosed fortress. I actually meant to include this in my OP and forgot. It actually reminded me of the premise for Dredd (2012) with Karl Urban. Lena Headey's character had a very similar set up. Obviously Dredd was more about epic violence over the workings of inner city drugs, but they certainly share some overlap. I wouldn't be surprised if the writer/director got some ideas from NJC.

Let's not forget this movie gave us that musical classic I Want To Sex You Up by Color Me Badd and this song that I still listen to regularly

I looked at IMDB, and it seems this was Ice-T's first acting gig, outside of an uncredited bouncer and playing himself. He was absolutely awful, and showed no range/emotion. I have not seen Law and Order, but I did like him in Surviving the Game. I do not think I have seen him in anything else.

Well, he played Admiral Gimp Spikemaster in Breakin 2: Electric Boogaloo...

Back