New FREE BJJ techniques article by Ed Beneville

"Strategic guard" is basically an escapes book. It's awesome! It would be nice to include material on mount escapes and back escapes tho.

I love the book, but a comprehensive text on escapes is hard to find, so if one was done in this format I would pre-order it, and I don't pre-order anything.

Zankou,

I agree, a lot of guard pass escapes are essentially pin escapes. That is why the first two chapters in Strategic Guard are about escaping side control and n/s.

I have not figured out how much of the original Passing the Guard I am going to keep. There are parts of the first book I really like and will probably leave intact. On the other hand, I am a little concerned that some of the old stuff (the photos that is) does not look so good compared to the new. PTGv2 will be a substantial revision. I think most fans of the original will want the second edition...but only time will tell.

SFinclined,

A comprehensive escapes book would be a good thing. Strategic Guard is not that book, but there is a ton of defense in it. When I realized how much defensive material we had I did consider doing mount and back escapes, but decided not to because they are, imo to attenuated from the subject of the guard.
There is some good escape stuff out there in Judo texts if you are interested, but nothing I would call comprehensive.

A comprehensive escapes text is something a lot of people would really benefit from. I wonder, however, how many would by it. Most buyers are blue and white belts. Blue and white belts tend to want to see a lot of submissions. That is a generalization of course, but it is a consideration in selecting subject matter. Nevertheless, there is a lot of defense in Strategic Guard.

Zankou,

I agree, a lot of guard pass escapes are essentially pin escapes. That is why the first two chapters in Strategic Guard are about escaping side control and n/s.

I have not figured out how much of the original Passing the Guard I am going to keep. There are parts of the first book I really like and will probably leave intact. On the other hand, I am a little concerned that some of the old stuff (the photos that is) does not look so good compared to the new. PTGv2 will be a substantial revision. I think most fans of the original will want the second edition...but only time will tell.

SFinclined,

A comprehensive escapes book would be a good thing. Strategic Guard is not that book, but there is a ton of defense in it. When I realized how much defensive material we had I did consider doing mount and back escapes, but decided not to because they are, imo to attenuated from the subject of the guard.
There is some good escape stuff out there in Judo texts if you are interested, but nothing I would call comprehensive.

A comprehensive escapes text is something a lot of people would really benefit from. I wonder, however, how many would by it. Most buyers are blue and white belts. Blue and white belts tend to want to see a lot of submissions. That is a generalization of course, but it is a consideration in selecting subject matter. Nevertheless, there is a lot of defense in Strategic Guard.

Dude, right now you're books are some of the best BJJ books out. You can't even find PTG1 anymore. I would definately buy an escapes book. I think an escapes book would sell as well as any other you've put out. Covering: Mount, Back, Scarf, N/S, and Side Escapes.

I am going to buy PTG2 since you say it will be a substantial change.

What's the difference between the "Guard" book and the "Strategic Guard" book?

Dude, right now you're books are some of the best BJJ books out. You can't even find PTG1 anymore. I would definately buy an escapes book. I think an escapes book would sell as well as any other you've put out. Covering: Mount, Back, Scarf, N/S, and Side Escapes.

I am going to buy PTG2 since you say it will be a substantial change.

I agree absolutely: I'd love to have an escapes book, though given I'm fond of going back to guard, Strategic Guard covered a lot of what I've been looking for (think the only major area missing in terms of escapes was getting out of mount). Definitely a market out there, as I'm sure the majority of people who've enjoyed the other books would pick up one purely focused on escapes.

Looking forward to Passing the Guard.

What's the difference between the "Guard" book and the "Strategic Guard" book?

"The Guard" deals primarily with posture, submissions, sweeps, how to attack different postures your opponent might use, how to prevent specific passes, etc.

"The Strategic Guard" deals primarily with regaining the guard from bad positions like underneath side control, scarf hold, reverse scarf hold, north-south, etc.

Back