New Efforts

Glad to see you back, broski! You were an inspiration back in the day; now with a couple of kids you still are as that day probably draws near for me as well. Keep fighting the good fight!

At 2 years? You potty training? Could be wetting. Mine would wake up.

Quite possibly. My oldest is non verbal autistic so it's hard to tell what has her up. Thankfully she's always been a good sleeper and it seems it may have passed. I did set her on the potty the last time she did wake in the night but it may have been too late as we had laid in bed a while.

Pendlay Rows
155 - 7/7/7/7

Pull-ups
BW - 8/6/6/5/5

Curls & Shrugs

Nothing too exciting today lifting wise. Called in the busted out windows at the edge of the ymca parking lot.

Also, guess it's time to get with the times (Instagram vs YT)

Thursday
Bench

290 - 3/3/3/3/3/3/4

Straight grinding.

I'm not super social, but don't mind conversating if someone wants to ask or talk about my/their lifting. Occasionally, it's a detriment as I'm always pressed for time and some people seem more intent on socializing than lifting. That was the case today.

Close Grip Bench
185 - 10/8/7

Sumo Deads
405 - 5
455 - 2
495 - 2/2/3

Chinups
BW - 9/7/6/5/4

Front Squats
135 - 8
185 - 6/6/6

Day early as we're headed out of town for our 4th celebration. Also recorded my weekly weight: 243.0. Now down 15.4lbs in 10 weeks. The grind continues.

Squats
Max Day

135 - 8
225 - 5
315 - 5
365 - 2 (Belt)
405 - 2
425 - 1
445 - 1
465 - No Rep
Moved the safety catches up a notch. Made contact on the left side while hitting depth. Shot up immediately, but threw me off balance and almost lost the load.

475 - No Rep
Should've known better, but I asked a guy for a spot. Told him just to watch me and push me forward if I looked like I was going to fail (Not a true power rack). Guy decides to tap me in the chest on the way up. 475 is there all day, just wasn't a clean rep.

2 months out from the PL meet I'm looking at doing, I wanted to get a gauge on where I'm at as my heaviest working sets have been at 335. Near my previous peak on squats. I'm leaning towards not wrapping for the upcoming meet.

Also have plans to check out a local strongman comp this weekend, Battle of the Red River.

Nice work Micheal, especially on the weight loss. Good luck for the strongman comp. You have a new Instagram follower by the way: (craigpaterson1 - that's me)

Pendlay Rows
135 - 8
175 - 5/5/5/5/10

Pull-ups
BW - 8/6/6/6/5

Curls & Shrugs

Have been doing DB shrugs for a long time. Swapping back over to BB shrugs.

Bench
Max Day

135 - 8
225 - 5
275 - 3
295 - 3
315 - 2
330 - 1
275 - 5/5

5lbs off my all time gym PR. Almost went for 340 first, but glad I didn't. After watching the video I decided to stop there.

DB Incline
90's - 10/10/9

Close Grip Bench
185 - 5
205 - 5
225 - 4
205 - 5
185 - 5

Abs/Core

2 hour session, was really nice as I'm normally limited to 45 min to an Hour. Kiddos on a 2 week break so I don't have to tote her to school.

Friday
Kickboxing at the YMCA

Saturday

Sumo Deads

405 - 3
455 - 2
495 - 1
515 - 1 Looks like I'm hyper extending on the lock out pretty bad. I knew I was somewhat but not this bad.
Conventional
495 - 1 Again, hyper extending. Still pleased as I haven't been training conventional.

Any criticism/suggestions welcome. Will be researching, but I'm thinking just a mental cue.

Chinups
BW - 9/7/6/6/6

Skipped out on going to watch the Strongman comp. $20 entrance was a little steep as I was only going for a couple hours. ($20 due to the fact it was a combo Strongman/Bodybuilding/Weightlifting competitions.) Weights up .4lb (243.4) but had a 4500 kcal cheat day over the 4th. Waist is down a 1/4".

7/11
Press

95 - 8
135 - 5
180 - 3 (Grind)
Was supposed to be 7 sets of 3, but knew it wasn't going to happen. Not sure what I'm going to do w/ pressing. I may switch focus entirely to Push Press.
Push Press
205 - 2
225 - 1+F/1
Press
135 - 5/5/5/5

Dips
+60 - 10/8
+40 - 10/10/6

Also did some unilateral shoulder work and facepulls.

7/12
Squats

285 - 7/7/7/7

Good Mornings
135 - 5
155 - 5
175 - 5
195 - 5

Abs

Pendlay Rows
135 - 8
175 - 5/5/5/5/7

Didn't realize until I went to log this that I inadvertently repeated the previous reps/sets.

Pull-ups
+50 - 3
+40 - 4/4
BW - 6/5

Curls & Shrugs

Ended up getting sent to a job on 7/14.

Find myself in Pecos Texas for the first time. Could be here for a while. If all goes to plan, I'll start a 20/10 rotation. Luckily Pecos does have a small gym, but I can't get signed up until Monday.

7/18 - Pecos Gym
Bench
260 - 7/7/6/4

Fairly shitty gym. Several different brands and styles of plates. When I first went to warm up w/ 135, I unracked and it felt like I had one 35 and one 45. Had to hunt down two of the same brand as the diff brands obviously didn't weigh the same. Happened again on 225 when I thought I had the same style but nope. Didn't finish my sets, so I'll rerun this cycle but gym and swapping back and forth from days/nights played a factor.
Dips
BW - 12/9/8/8/8
DB Shoulder & Triceps work

7/19 - Pecos Gym

Pendlay Rows

135 - 8
185 - 5
195 - 3/3/3/3/3/3/3
Again, got bit by the shitty gym. In the middle of my 195 sets, it started to feel off. Noticed the hex screw had fallen out and the end of the barbell was sliding off.

Pull-ups
BW - 8/6/6/5/5
Wider than normal and with angled handles. Felt a lot more natural.

More Curls & Shrugs

If I stay on this job, I believe we have it worked out where I'll still be able to do my planned meet 8/27.

7/23 - Pecos Gym

Squats

315 - 5/5/5/5/5

Also did some some isolation stuff for legs and abs. Just taking advantage of the excess free time I have at work. Will be heading home in a couple of days, but they're talking about possibly sending me back to North Dakota for a job. The joys of being short handed.

Going to give logging another try. I was derailed back in August when me and my oldest daughter came down with Crypto. Imagine having food poisoning for 7 days. Strength levels took a hit, but managed to come out of it and get back on track.

Squats

295 - 7/7/7/7

Weights down from a high of 265 to 229. Lowest I've been in 5 years, but plan is to continue until I get to 210 before taking a break.

Dude! Welcome back. Shitty news. You identify where the infection came from? Either of you end up with meningitis? Both of you got it, so its likely something you were both exposed to as opposed to one being infected and spreading it. Would be a shitty thing to go through, though. Glad you're back...

Pendlay Rows
135 - 8
185 - 5
210 - 5/5/5/5/5

Pull-ups
BW - 9/7/6/5/5

Curls

Seems the wife is going to jump on the healthy living bandwagon now. She started tracking what she's eating (after months of watching me) and we'll be taking our first trip to the gym together tomorrow. She's worked out with me before, but it's been 5+ years.

Dude! Welcome back. Shitty news. You identify where the infection came from? Either of you end up with meningitis? Both of you got it, so its likely something you were both exposed to as opposed to one being infected and spreading it. Would be a shitty thing to go through, though. Glad you're back...

Thanks. Our theory is that she picked it up at the splash pad as she likes to drink the water (non chlorinated, constant fresh) and it's hard to get her to stop every time. She's still in diapers and had several subsequent blowouts. Best guess is I caught it from her.

Thankfully, no meningitis. Wasn't aware it could lead into that.

Oh Shit!
When you said Crypto, for some reason I had assumed fugal. Yeah the gastro shit will put you out but usually its an acute infection but can be transmitted person to person. Crypto fungus it not. Meningitis is not associated with the fresh water crypto infection, but it can lead to dehydration which is really dangerous especially for young kids. Glad its sorted out!

Last edited:
10/27

Bench
255 - 7/7/7/7

DB Incline
75's - 8/8/8/8

Tricep Pressdowns

Circus DB Press

60 - 2/2
70 - 2/2
80 - 2/2
85 - 1/1
90 - 1/F

Just learning the technique. Still toying with the idea of competing in a strongman comp and one on my radar calls for the circus press.

My wife did go with me and was the perfect student. In the past she has been reluctant to follow my advice as that's not what her blog/friend/magazine said.

Back