new boxers? it is a stupid question, but...

MMAfan007

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Are most boxing gyms for pro-fighters or are there gyms that have people who just want to learn to box properly, punch things and possibly spar for fun after they develop some boxing skills? I recently started to watch a bit of boxing and it looks like it could be pretty fun and a serious workout as well, and I was wondering if the average boxing gym had people who were brand new to the sport.

There are both.You should be able to learn at any local boxing gym, if you get good then you would probably move on to a pro gym.

There are also mixed gyms with begginers, amateurs and pros, and if you're lucky the pros will help you out too.

Most gyms I've been to are a mix. Even if you only aspire to be a hobby fighter, having pros around adds to the atmosphere of the gym in a good way.

Most gyms in my opinion can turn you into a decent amatuer fighter, As licenses etc have to be held for a gym to be opened. Then it really depends on how much you want to progress, If you really want it and compete well at amatuer u can go to the championships, And if you do well maybe a better trainer will pick you up.

If you just want to do what you said then if you just keep turning up they will train you can you can go as far as you want!

Thank you all for responding. I am going to spend the next month or so getting into better shape (mostly cardio) and show up with everything but boxing skills and see what happens from there.

Remember: Diet is a big part of getting into shape and allowing your body to perform at its peak. For me this is the hardest part of training. Best of luck Man!

Remember: Diet is a big part of getting into shape and allowing your body to perform at its peak.

What do you usually eat? I try to stay away from processed foods and eat lots of meat, fresh veggies and fruit. I will head over to other sub-forums and look around, but do you have any specific advice?

What do you usually eat? I try to stay away from processed foods and eat lots of meat, fresh veggies and fruit. I will head over to other sub-forums and look around, but do you have any specific advice?

The FAQ in the Diet & Supplementation forum is mind-blowing in its awesomness. Check it out.

Thank you all for responding. I am going to spend the next month or so getting into better shape (mostly cardio) and show up with everything but boxing skills and see what happens from there.

jump rope, jump rope, and more jump rope.

^^^ These two men are very intelligent indeed :D

Sounds oddly familiar MWAHAHA.

I have plenty of room for improvement as far as jumping rope goes (I am horrible, but I enjoy it) and it is going to be a priority in the mornings from now on, but what other things/skills should I work on before joining a boxing gym.

Jumping rope is a good example because I need to master basic skills before I even worry about the science of boxing. What else should I work on to prepare myself so I can focus on boxing on day one? I was talking to a friend who has been involved with boxing his whole life and he said "take care of the cardio now and don't worry about boxing until you have someone to work with because you are likely to develop bad habits if you just bang away on a heavy bag in the garage or box your friends." Is that sound advice?

I have plenty of room for improvement as far as jumping rope goes (I am horrible, but I enjoy it) and it is going to be a priority in the mornings from now on, but what other things/skills should I work on before joining a boxing gym.

Jumping rope is a good example because I need to master basic skills before I even worry about the science of boxing. What else should I work on to prepare myself so I can focus on boxing on day one? I was talking to a friend who has been involved with boxing his whole life and he said "take care of the cardio now and don't worry about boxing until you have someone to work with because you are likely to develop bad habits if you just bang away on a heavy bag in the garage or box your friends." Is that sound advice?

Very sound advice.

Back