New at liftin need a little advice

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by Kpro86, Apr 8, 2008.

1. Kpro86

Kpro86 Guest

Hey guys i've been in to muay thai and jiu jitsu for a while now, im 5'8 bout 150 pounds and i wanna put on 15-20 pounds of muscle for my next tournement,

Iwas wonderin if i lift and work out and get to about 165 - 170 pounds, if at that point i dont increase weight that i am liftin will i keep gaining mass or stay the same because i would like to stay around that body weight without gettin bigger,

im sorry if it sounds confusing, idk how else to explain it, thanks

2. Ziltoid

Ziltoid In search for the Ultimate cup of Coffee

You have to eat more to gain weight. Look at the FAQ or just search around. About you getting to your goal...again, its just about your diet...your diet is key and will determine your outcome...wether you gain weight, lose weight or maintain.

3. Saith

Saith UFC poster boy

I think he wants to know how ot maintain his strength level while training after a bulking phase.

4. Kpro86

Kpro86 Guest

Yeah more of i want to get as strong as possible without weighing more than 165 - 170 pounds so that i dnt have to cut alot of weight when i have a tournement or fight

5. Saith

Saith UFC poster boy

To do this:

- Read the FAQ
    - Read the FAQ in the diet and supplements forum
    - Ask any questions you still have
    - Eat
    - Lift

6. Kpro86

Kpro86 Guest

ok man thanks ill check them out, but any other advice out there is still welcome, maybe even workout routines some of u guys with a similar build, but i'll look everything up thanks guys

7. Ziltoid

Ziltoid In search for the Ultimate cup of Coffee

The routines I have followed are Rippetoe's, 5x5 (which im currently starting again after being sick), 20 rep squats.

I went from 165-170 to about 197 in less than a year. Then I cut back to 180-185 (current weight). Again...it was mostly how I was eating too, so thats what I am saying about maintaining the weight once you get there. Its all going to depend on how you are eating. I was eating different when I was bulking and I am eating a bit different now to maintain.

8. mustang

mustang Blue Belt

I was in a very similar spot as you, about a year and half ago I weighed 145/150 and after a year of solid lifting and eating I weigh 165 and have gotten a boat load stronger. Must of my success was the 5x5 program.

9. Saith

Saith UFC poster boy

5x5 is a very good beginner program, largely because it incorporates some very good lifts and basically tells you exactly what to do. Whichever program you choose be sure to post form videos here or you could start a log in the training logs section and post them there. If you know someone in real life who can give you form advice that would be even better.

10. takeahnase

takeahnase watching the swarm

Gaining weight depends mostly on what you eat. There is no reason not to increase work out weights just in order to maintain weight, i.e. increase weights if you can and eat appropriately in order to either gain, lose or maintain weight.

11. JinKazama

JinKazama Red Belt

lift heavy, compound exercises

eat a ton of food