Nerve pain in arm -need some advice to survive sleeping until APPT

Rhohypnal.

oh man, that would work, but I can't imagine taking that and functioning during the week (which is required unfortunately)

I used to be on heavy benzo prescriptions in my mid 20s when I started having anxiety attacks and minor seizures. life in a true fog.

Go look in the grappling forum for the thread: "Herniated Discs: Do they ever heal?"

Try not to get too down, but there are some good suggestions there. What helped me was getting a buckwheat pillow from amazon (the one with nearly perfect 5 stars; its around $60 I think) or get a memory foam pillow (the generic ones are ok; you don't need the $200 ones).

Also, DON'T STRETCH!!! unless you know what you're doing. Some positions can make it much worse.

Loo up the McKenzie exercises for your neck on youtube or google them. They should relieve a lot of pain.

Also, avoid surgery and give it at least three months to heal. Most issues should resolve in 3-4 months.

I haven't been in another forum in so long I didn't even think of looking there. thanks.

I quit other forums after 3 bans. lulz.

Saw the Doctor today -thanks for the suggestions that help me make it to Friday

It's %100 a PINCHED NERVE between C5 and C6. -Doc said no MRI required because the injury so damn obvious on XRay -He couldn't believe I went to Aruba, Alaska and did 12 flights in 3 weeks with this bad of a pinch.

No surgery required or recommended primarily because I have only pain and numbness and no weakness

Prescribed drugs and physical therapy (traction) 2-3 times a week for 6 weeks.

Doctor says I have an 8 of 10 chance of full recovery with no surgery.

When I told him my travel schedule this month and next -he about shit himself -so I am going to do some PT in the hotel with a travel setup and also schedule some PT in the cities I'm working in.

Unfortunately for me, I haven't been able to sleep without heavy pain meds -which I am not to keen on these days (at least like when I was younger) because they fuck up my system long term.

Saw the Doctor today -thanks for the suggestions that help me make it to Friday

It's %100 a PINCHED NERVE between C5 and C6. -Doc said no MRI required because the injury so damn obvious on XRay -He couldn't believe I went to Aruba, Alaska and did 12 flights in 3 weeks with this bad of a pinch.

No surgery required or recommended primarily because I have only pain and numbness and no weakness

Prescribed drugs and physical therapy (traction) 2-3 times a week for 6 weeks.

Doctor says I have an 8 of 10 chance of full recovery with no surgery.

When I told him my travel schedule this month and next -he about shit himself -so I am going to do some PT in the hotel with a travel setup and also schedule some PT in the cities I'm working in.

Unfortunately for me, I haven't been able to sleep without heavy pain meds -which I am not to keen on these days (at least like when I was younger) because they fuck up my system long term.

Ask for a lidoderm script. Novocaine patches that will numb the area up and help you sleep. One of the few things other then pain killers that help my nerve injury.

http://www.rxlist.com/lidoderm-drug.htm

Ask for a lidoderm script. Novocaine patches that will numb the area up and help you sleep. One of the few things other then pain killers that help my nerve injury.

http://www.rxlist.com/lidoderm-drug.htm

Lidoderm patches are really good, I use them, but they're only good for the spot you put them on in my experience. Still, should get some relief wherever you put it.

Sit in a hot tub. Causes muscles and things to loosen up (without stretching), increasing mobility and a lot less pinching (from the muscles/ligaments not pulling on themselves)

Try an electric heat pad on your shoulder/neck area when you're sitting/sleeping at home

This helps a lot more than you would think just reading about it

Good ol' fashioned amputation.

Sit in a hot tub. Causes muscles and things to loosen up (without stretching), increasing mobility and a lot less pinching (from the muscles/ligaments not pulling on themselves)

Try an electric heat pad on your shoulder/neck area when you're sitting/sleeping at home

This helps a lot more than you would think just reading about it

Agreed, I've done the hot tub thing every night this week and twice when I first woke up.

Heat Pad is a good idea -I'll give it a shot.

I start traction Monday -he's hoping it works miracles.

I had the same type of thing happen to me in march. AFter trying chiropractors and massage therapy I decided to take it to a real Dr. Turns out I ruptured c5-7 and it was causing nerve damage. this all lead to losing strength and muscle mass in my left pec, tricep, bicep, and grip strength. Dr. suggested acdf surgery due to possible damage being irreversible. I had surgery monday and felt immediate relief. Still weak but for the most part the nerve pain is gone. Still some tingling in my index finger but it could be due to swelling from the procedure.

I'm on drugs ...grammar nazoids can suck a peen

I had the same type of thing happen to me in march. AFter trying chiropractors and massage therapy I decided to take it to a real Dr. Turns out I ruptured c5-7 and it was causing nerve damage. this all lead to losing strength and muscle mass in my left pec, tricep, bicep, and grip strength. Dr. suggested acdf surgery due to possible damage being irreversible. I had surgery monday and felt immediate relief. Still weak but for the most part the nerve pain is gone. Still some tingling in my index finger but it could be due to swelling from the procedure.

I'm on drugs ...grammar nazoids can suck a peen

What exactly did the surgery involve? Mine is between C5 and C6

It was bad last night despite drugs -I stayed up all night arguing about Rugby on Sherdog because I couldn't sleep.

incision from the front/throat
removed discs and replaced with donor bone grafts held in place by plates and screws. They said it could be 6 weeks to 6 months before the graft takes.

it hasn't been that bad so far. not any big loss in range of motion.
I didn't have to wear a collar

incision from the front/throat
removed discs and replaced with donor bone grafts held in place by plates and screws. They said it could be 6 weeks to 6 months before the graft takes.

it hasn't been that bad so far. not any big loss in range of motion.
I didn't have to wear a collar

still sounds very major to me.

good luck in your recovery.

Did you try traction?

I avoided surgery for damn near 7 months. i tried everything. I didn't really have a choice when i started losing strength and mass.

It hasn't been that bad really. the throat pain is the shitty part. been eating soup for a week. LOL

I'm what your worst case scenario would probably be. Good luck

Not that impressed with Physical Therapy today. The guy was good at what he does -but what he can do appears to be very little for this issue

Traction was pretty underwhelming -I could go to a strip club and pay for massages where the stripper pulled up on my neck and achieve the same net effect for less money and better scenery.

The PT guy provided me a TENZ unit to travel with.

I am flying to LA tonight and am going to attempt to do some PT there for the next 2 weeks -so if anyone has recommendations for Physical Therapy places in the Hollywood/Universal City/Laural Canyon area I will take it.

Alright 6 weeks of recovery and it's just now becoming tolerable from Day to Day. Only taking an anti-inflammatory at this point, stretching, and occasional TENS unit use.

If I cough or Sneeze my arm goes totally numb and nights are still awful -but during the day time things are now fine.

I've been Fed Exing my luggage to avoid carrying it -which the doctor said was a more likely cause than my hobbies.

At this rate it will take until Xmas to be back to normal. :(

I used to rub tiger balm type stuff (I think it's called 'Absorbine Jr.' or something like that) on the area (shoulder/neck) and that worked pretty well all the moments I couldn't be in a hot tub or have a heat pad on it.

pain-relieving-patches-ultrastrength.png

absorbine-jr.jpg

large pics^^

At this rate it will take until Xmas to be back to normal.
^^that's not very long at all. Took me 2 years. But I know you have grueling work during it, so that equates to it feeling like 2 years of misery and me feeling better ;)

Last edited:
I used to rub tiger balm type stuff (I think it's called 'Absorbine Jr.' or something like that) on the area (shoulder/neck) and that worked pretty well all the moments I couldn't be in a hot tub or have a heat pad on it.

pain-relieving-patches-ultrastrength.png

absorbine-jr.jpg

large pics^^

^^that's not very long at all. Took me 2 years. But I know you have grueling work during it, so that equates to it feeling like 2 years of misery and me feeling better ;)

thanks Reyes, I've been seeing Absorbine jr ads my whole life -never tried it.

2 years? damn. I hoping for 12-15 weeks for at least the sleeping to improve.

The random numbness I could deal with for a year or two .. -but the random pain is killing what little sleep I get.

Yeah ok. The pain went away in a month or so. But I still had to stretch it (yoga stretch type things) for 6 months until the numbness died down. 2 years before my posture returned to normal (had some quasimodo thing going on) and wouldn't feel tightness or numbness at all regardless of how I moved. So 2 years to go "back to normal", by which I thought you meant completely, heh

Sorry for scaring ya. Your pain could be manageable in a handful of weeks (in my guesstimate), perhaps less. Hope it's much sooner for sleeping

Sorry to hear about your troubles, broham

I've been on a natural cures kick since I got a bad stomach bug a few months ago.

Not related to my illness, but I read that Valerian root is a good natural pain reliever and it helps you sleep, too.

Back