Need to work with a more experienced lifter(s).

Evcity

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
I started a basic lifting routine a while ago consisting of squats, bench and deadlifts as well as some other assisting exercises and a conditioning day. Despite the short time I have been doing it (two and a half weeks maybe?) I'm already feeling results. However, I have no regular workout partner; I usually work out alone or with a friend but he has different goals and little experience in heavy lifting.

Earlier today, I threw out my back doing deadlifts. I'm trying hard to maintain form but I'm a complete noob, and frankly, demonstrations I see on the internet aren't sitting in the mirror when I'm lifting, its just me and my unsure, bad form. Fortunately I don't think I'm really injured; my back was in pain (not the good kind) for most of the day, but I'm feeling much better after a hot shower and rest.

In any case, I got a wicked burn and I'm eager for tomorrow (hill running) but I'm starting to worry a little about the lifting. I'm loving getting under the bar and I know that it is the best/only way to build a powerful body but I have no intention of fucking up my back doing it. Is there such a thing as a powerlifting club? I know that I'll benefit greatly from the guidance of more experienced lifters, but I know noone who really knows what they are doing in these areas.

Any suggestions?

Yes, there are powerlifting clubs that could probably help. Do a search on google for "yourcity powerlifting" and see what comes up.

Here is a listing of the Powerlifting reps by state:

Powerlifting by State & Province | Powerlifting Watch

See if you can find a contact in your area. They can provide guidance to a good coach or gym where you can receive instruction.

As far as deadlifting goes, you may not have the flexibility to deadlift from the floor yet. In this case I recommend that you start with rack pulls or raise the bar off the floor by placing something under the plates and slowly working your way down as your flexibility/mobility improves.

Check out these articles by Eric Cressey called Mastering the Deadlift:

TESTOSTERONE NATION

TESTOSTERONE NATION - Mastering the Deadlift: Part II

TESTOSTERONE NATION - Mastering the Deadlift: Part III

Make sure to include some flexibility/mobility work in your program.

For now I would forget about trying to go heavy on the deadlift and just work on technique with about 50-60 percent of what you are using now. Video yourself and have it evaluated. Wait till the back heals up though. If it still feels sore or any sharp pains or anything get it checked out by a physical therapist.

Good luck.

I started a basic lifting routine a while ago consisting of squats, bench and deadlifts as well as some other assisting exercises and a conditioning day. Despite the short time I have been doing it (two and a half weeks maybe?) I'm already feeling results. However, I have no regular workout partner; I usually work out alone or with a friend but he has different goals and little experience in heavy lifting.

Earlier today, I threw out my back doing deadlifts. I'm trying hard to maintain form but I'm a complete noob, and frankly, demonstrations I see on the internet aren't sitting in the mirror when I'm lifting, its just me and my unsure, bad form. Fortunately I don't think I'm really injured; my back was in pain (not the good kind) for most of the day, but I'm feeling much better after a hot shower and rest.

In any case, I got a wicked burn and I'm eager for tomorrow (hill running) but I'm starting to worry a little about the lifting. I'm loving getting under the bar and I know that it is the best/only way to build a powerful body but I have no intention of fucking up my back doing it. Is there such a thing as a powerlifting club? I know that I'll benefit greatly from the guidance of more experienced lifters, but I know noone who really knows what they are doing in these areas.

Any suggestions?
what city do you live in?

Any suggestions?

Sharp pain or just lots of soreness?

HOLY SHIT! I'm like an extra 10 minutes from mendy's gym! HA! I had no idea!

Sharp pain or just lots of soreness?

Well my lower back still has a heavy burn of course. But the pain I had was a sharp shooting pain in my left lower/middle back. I still feel it very slightly but it is much better, not disabling at all. If it persists in the slightest I will go to a doctor.

I'm in Vancouver.

Thanks for the replies everyone, excellent info.

Do you have a digital cam that will record video, if so they take advantage of it, record your lifts then look over it or even better yet post it and get feedback from members on the board who know their stuff.

Best thing to do when you start is check your ego at the door and just work on form, if you think people will laugh at you for not going heavy you're mistaken it's usually the guy with shitty form trying to go heavy that gets made fun of.

You've got all the advice you need already. But I would add that looking in the mirror is actually a very bad way to observe your form. So take Standard's advice and video your lifts.

Back