Need to lose at least 100 pounds... Is BJJ a good idea?

I thought the small meals theory came from blood sugar levels and wanting to avoid insulin spikes, such that your body will constantly be in an efficient metabolic state if you're not dumping a load of calories in your body 3-4 times a day.

Something like that, anyways. I've got no articles on hand for reference, so hopefully someone can provide some references in either direction.

I've heard all 3 options that people have said here...and all 3 make sense.

multiple meals, you always feel satisfied - your body's metabolism (slightly) increases. Compared to when you are in a no-food crisis situation and your body starts to store to survive (which is why low cal diets are bad)

same for the insulin levels thing. Rather than crashing up and down, your keep it consistent.

and yeah. the small meals keep you from feeling hungry, so you are (in my experience) less likely to overeat when required.

I am 6'7 and weigh about 350 pounds...

I can train BJJ 3 times a week at a good school with 2 black belts and a brown.

What should I do?

Yes, train. Also eat better. Eat egg whites, tuna, chicken, veggies (fajitas on lettuce). You will be unable to eat enough for it to be "bad" for you.
One doesnt normally think about an apple ruining a diet but an apple has about 80-100 calories which will take about an hour of walking to burn off, and thats only an APPLE! Watch what you eat, it's really the biggest thing, but yes BJJ will supplement it.
People usually think its miserable to cut weight, it's (usually) not, you just have to eat well.

over the last year and a half, i've seen a number of guys join and lose a significant amount of weight from bjj. There's a purple belt who I train with that supposedly used to weigh over 300 lbs. Now he's 185 and solid.

I lost 70 lbs by eating & training like a spartan. Small, lean meals every 2-3 hours (like Brown rice + chicken breast + veggies; peanut butter & banana sandwhich on wheat bread; bowl of chili and some crackers; half a turkey sandwhich & an apple; protein shakes, etc) and 2 exercise sessions a day, 6 days a week. I'd wake up and go for a 1-2 mile jog, with probably .25 mile warmup and .25 mile cooldown of brisk walking. Or i'd wake up and do a bunch of pushups & assisted pullups, ab moves, jump squats & romanian deadlifts. Then jits in the afternoon.

It took 5 months to do, but it was worth it. I gradually changed my diet so that I would maintain my weight, and started putting on some muscle (because I was 6'2 175).

BJJ is great exercise, and a very engaging/ fun way to get a workout and learn how to grapple well.

I've heard all 3 options that people have said here...and all 3 make sense.

multiple meals, you always feel satisfied - your body's metabolism (slightly) increases. Compared to when you are in a no-food crisis situation and your body starts to store to survive (which is why low cal diets are bad)

same for the insulin levels thing. Rather than crashing up and down, your keep it consistent.

and yeah. the small meals keep you from feeling hungry, so you are (in my experience) less likely to overeat when required.

because people have very different metabolisms

probably tied to the different morphic types

hah, for some reason I never even looked at it like that. That's probably correct.

I myself get practically no effect from "just" eating healthy and working out

and by healthy I mean a regular amount of calories, no effect like I see from people who go into BJJ from a stationary life with a regular diet and the workout alone makes them shed the pounds

I must starve myself and take in less then 1000calories a day for anything to happen, and it plain sucks

that is why I recommend a meal replacement diet, it breaks you of the routine of junk food, and then you change your diet to a more healthy one, I don't see much of a weightloss when I am of the diet it only happens for the weeks of my diet, and then naturally it gos up a little bit when you start eating food again but it doesn't reach the former high point

I have a funny "watermark" of my weightloss. a tattoo that used to be covering roughly 30% around my arm now covers 60-70%

A woman at my academy started training a year ago, apparently, when she came in, she was about 280 or something, now, she's about 145 I think. She just trained every single day of the week, at a 100%.

Anything that motivates you to keep training is a good idea.

My brother enjoys his time in the gym, other people ride bikes, some run, my wife does dancing ..... and me? I'd do the above occasionally, but I'd hardly be motivated to return every week. Whereas Judo, BJJ and MMA are something I look forward to - not something I must force myself to do (except maybe on some days).

My fitness is a result of training the above and wanting to be better at the above - not fitness for it's own sake.

So if you enjoy it and are motivated to do it then it will be better for you in the long run than dragging your ass to the gym to lift weights or something.

Back