Need to lose at least 100 pounds... Is BJJ a good idea?

It's alright to lose weight, but there is a lot of other stuff out there that is probably better if losing weight is your goal.

As other people have been saying, BJJ isn't the best activity to lose wieght. BUT, I think the really important factor is finding something you enjoy. Running will lose you the weight faster, but I find running to be very boring. If you enjoy something putting the time and energy in will be fun instead of being a chore. It can also help with other stuff like a diet or other exercise, because then your dieting not just to lose weight, but to lose weight so you'll be better at BJJ.

I have never been as big as you (not trying to be a dick, I'm only 5'9" and got to 220 at one time) But, the way I lost weight was small meals several times, cutting out carbs except complex carbs and monitoring those closely. Also training has a big impact, you have to be burning more than you take in. IMO any kind of training you do will help you greatly, i would just avoid running at your current weight.

For dieting:
  • Don't eat anything past 8 P.M.
  • Watch your sodium and carbohydrate intake.
  • Eat natural foods, try to stay away from bagged things like chips and stuf.
  • Eat more then three meals a day, but make sure they aren't big meals, meals that just satisfy your hunger not make you full.
  • Try eating as much brown rice and grilled chicken. Veggies of course.
  • Don't eat any sweets, period.
  • No soda, water and sometimes milk, sometimes.

The bolded stuff - do you have any science on that? I've never see anything convincing re: eating after a certain time.

Especially if you break your meals into 7-8 small 'meals' a day, one is likely to be late. One of the theories behind that is metabolism, and if you are starving yourself from 8pm until you wake up (6-8am?), that's not necessarily ideal IMO. I'd love to see research that states otherwise however.

As to no sweets at all - if your diet is too strict you are setting yourself up to fail, for most people.

http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f15/grapplers-guide-nutrition-376236/

No, the piracy link isn't there anymore - but read the thread, and maybe give it a look.

The bolded stuff - do you have any science on that? I've never see anything convincing re: eating after a certain time.

Especially if you break your meals into 7-8 small 'meals' a day, one is likely to be late. One of the theories behind that is metabolism, and if you are starving yourself from 8pm until you wake up (6-8am?), that's not necessarily ideal IMO. I'd love to see research that states otherwise however.

As to no sweets at all - if your diet is too strict you are setting yourself up to fail, for most people.

http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f15/grapplers-guide-nutrition-376236/

No, the piracy link isn't there anymore - but read the thread, and maybe give it a look.
There's not really any evidence supporting the 7-8 meals a day theory either. Calories are calories; if you take in less than you expend, you will lose weight, regardless of WHEN you take in those calories.

But I agree, the no eating after 8 rule isn't really accurate. Those that are helped by that rule, are generally helped because they would have been snacking after that time.

Yeah running is a bad idea for someone your size because of the whole joints issue. Swimming is great low-impact cardio, and so is running on an elliptical machine.

There's not really any evidence supporting the 7-8 meals a day theory either. Calories are calories; if you take in less than you expend, you will lose weight, regardless of WHEN you take in those calories.

But I agree, the no eating after 8 rule isn't really accurate. Those that are helped by that rule, are generally helped because they would have been snacking after that time.

When eating more meals people tend to gorge less. When I eat 5-6 meals a day I eat less overall as I am not that hungry all the time.

I thought the small meals theory came from blood sugar levels and wanting to avoid insulin spikes, such that your body will constantly be in an efficient metabolic state if you're not dumping a load of calories in your body 3-4 times a day.

Something like that, anyways. I've got no articles on hand for reference, so hopefully someone can provide some references in either direction.

6'7", 350lbs is a big dude.

Give BJJ a try. When I first started I quit lifting weights and I did not change my diet at all. I lost 20lbs in the first 6 weeks.

With your overall size I could see you dropping 30 lbs pretty damn quick at BJJ. Especially brand new to BJJ. You will suck and be very inefficient meaning you will work alot harder than an experiences person. The harder work means more calories burned.

Instead of doing BJJ to lose weight just sign up and enjoy the art. There will be other benefits that go along ie. weight loss, cardio, etc.

As a bigger guy who happens to be shrinking, I believe in BJJ. Used to be almost 400lbs, right now I weigh in at 327 (just did it an hour ago). It has taken a long time to drop the weight, but I had to stop for a year (I originally got down to 270 in 6 months, from 400, then went back up to 350) after being injured. Weight loss is a pain, but it is worth it.

I would not suggest running. I'm 6'4"ish and running destroys my legs, it's not worth it. I would add yoga and some strength training to your routine though. I've been doing Gi twice a week, when I can (I'm injured all the time, my legs can't handle this weight bracket anymore), and eating right. Just started to do yoga and lifting again, I feel a lot better after doing it.

Just eat right, train, and things should work out. I did lose more weight participating in Nogi, then in Gi, each week. Either way it's good cardio. I will warn you though, wearing a gi increases the temperature in the room by 20 degrees...it's crazy.

Sleep, eat, train, try and hit 10,000 steps a day, good luck!

I wish I could sleep...

I am 6'7 and weigh about 350 pounds...

I can train BJJ 3 times a week at a good school with 2 black belts and a brown.

What should I do?

Also, what Gi should I buy? I didn't manage to find one in my size.

Train. You'll love it and stick with it (hopefully). I'm 6ft 1, 303, some muscle, some fat and have been training regularly for a few months. I love it, I feel great, and can't wait to get on the mat tonite. I wish you were in my area, I'd buy your gi for you. I have 70lbs on the "biggest/strongest" guy there and would love someone to roll with me who I can complain that they're too big.

Good luck

As everyone else said before. And coming from somebody whose dropped 40 pounds over the course of training (1.6 yrs about):
Exercise won't cut it if you're eating Pizza and Fried Chicken like there's no tomorrow (BEST... COMBO... EVER... I HATE CUTTING WEIGHT *sobs*)
But, when you do eat right the pounds just MELT off.
Like for example:
2 weeks ago I dropped 12 pounds in a week by working my ass off and eating righ-
oh wait I was eating next to nothing during that week because my brother kept eating my food and I wasn't about to take the time to make something to eat that late at night. And I've managed to keep it off so far even though I've been eating a lot more than I did during those 2 weeks of hell.
But anyway. Moral of the story is:
Work hard, eat right, and.... well that's it!
It will be hard though. Not gonna lie. It's going to be tempting to tell yourself "Just this one time..." and give in but stay the course!
The immediate gratification you get then will pale in comparison to the long term rewards you will get if you stick with it!

Well how long of a plan to you wish to lose the pounds? If your talking about within the next month I'd consult your local plastic surgeon.

But if your willing to take the time to work it off, Jiu Jitsu, running, and a HEALTHY DIET, will make you lose the weight.

For dieting:
  • Don't eat anything past 8 P.M.
  • Watch your sodium and carbohydrate intake.
  • Eat natural foods, try to stay away from bagged things like chips and stuf.
  • Eat more then three meals a day, but make sure they aren't big meals, meals that just satisfy your hunger not make you full.
  • Try eating as much brown rice and grilled chicken. Veggies of course.
  • Don't eat any sweets, period.
  • No soda, water and sometimes milk, sometimes.

Run enough to make you sweat and get tierd, but don't burn yourself out by running to much at one time, pace yourself.

Jiu Jitsu wear a rashguard or something that will make you sweat a lot, make sure that you aren't half-assing drills, work your body.

A couple things here: sweating a lot is just losing water weight NOT fat. Which to me doesn't count in losing weight, which is what this guy wants to do.

Second, the whole eating past 6 or 8 pm is a myth. Doesn't matter when you eat, you could eat a full meal an hour before bed but if you have a good diet and burn 800-2000 calories a day then it doesn't matter.

I was at 315 at 5'9". I am now at 200 with a stocky build and would be fairly shredded at 185 to 190. BJJ was great for me because I worked a lot of muscle groups and I enjoyed it so I showed up consistently. This has kept me around this weight for two years. That said, I also run but at your size I would start off walking and go from there. But the S&C forum can provide far more than the anecdotal evidence that I can give you. The Diet/Supplementation forum is great as well. I also pray at the Temple of Berardi. Diet without exercise is like gasoline without air. You need both elements to really reach your goal. By the way, what is your goal?

The Diet/Supplementation forum is great as well. I also pray at the Temple of Berardi. Diet without exercise is like gasoline without air. You need both elements to really reach your goal. By the way, what is your goal?

Berardi + Ripptoe = pure genius. god was having a good day when he created those two.

i've lost 80 pounds from bjj. I think 100 is attainable through more regimented diet and weight lifting program.

We have TON'S of guys at my gym who have loss lots of weight. Remember only training won't do it, diet is everything, also throwing in some weight lifting would be very beneficial, leave the running for later on when you have dropped some weight.
When you wake up sore and don't want to go to train and want to eat a gallon of ice cream remember "No one said it was easy, but it works" Stay dedicated hope to hear a success story in the future.

Back