Need suggestions for a lifting routine

evns

White Belt
Reaction score
I'm 18 and I've been lifting for about two years, went from 57 kgs upto 75 kgs (and now im about 72kg lean), so Im a small guy.

When I first started I could barely bench the bar, my deadlift was about 40kg with poor form and my squat 30kg. I can now Bench 70kg, Deadlift 110kg and squat 90kg so definetly need to work on my strength.

Recently I have started training Muay Thai 6 days a week, so doing a lot of cardio I feel I need to change up my routine if I wish to continue getting stronger and bigger(pls dont delete thread, its not purely bodybuilding).

Im currently doing Chest/Tri, Back/Bi, Shoulders, sometime slightly different and going 5 days a week.

I want to get on a strength routine but also dont want to sacrifice size, whats a good routine and how many times per week?

Thanks

5/3/1, two days/week. Read the S&P FAQ.

OP, what this guy said.

Also, because you're young and can probably recover pretty well, you could throw Boring But Big into the mix with 5/3/1.

Starting strength.

Starting strength.

I've done both, and 2x a week 5/3/1 was much more effective without making me feel tired all the time.

To TS: don't complicate shit. If you're doing a lot of Muy Thai, don't worry about beach muscles because you'll get them just from training a lot and eating clean. 5/3/1 will make you stronger and add size where you need it to be effective in combat sports.

If you're training MT 6x per week, lifting 2x is plenty. This is the go to template:

Squat
Bench
Row

Deadlift
Press
Chin-up

The set rep scheme depends on preference/recovery ability - could be 5/3/1, could be 3 x 5, could be 5 x 5, as examples.

Thanks guys, think I'll go with big but boring 5/3/1 and see how I feel

Anyone know a good template planner? Is the strstd.com a good one to use? Would love to be able to print off some sheets and take them with me to gym to mark off

If you're training MT 6x per week, lifting 2x is plenty. This is the go to template:

Squat
Bench
Row

Deadlift
Press
Chin-up

The set rep scheme depends on preference/recovery ability - could be 5/3/1, could be 3 x 5, could be 5 x 5, as examples.

That would actually be great for a beginner.

I've done both, and 2x a week 5/3/1 was much more effective without making me feel tired all the time.

To TS: don't complicate shit. If you're doing a lot of Muy Thai, don't worry about beach muscles because you'll get them just from training a lot and eating clean. 5/3/1 will make you stronger and add size where you need it to be effective in combat sports.

Not sure how training 2x a week can make you feel tired all of the time.

Not sure how training 2x a week can make you feel tired all of the time.

Presumably that's in addition to a large volume of skill training since the TS was talking about training Muay Thai 6x/week.

Im young and eat/sleep a lot so even lifting 5 days a week and MT 6 I rarely feel tired so thats not really a concern for me currently. But I know that its not only the effects I can feel that matter, which is why I want to rearrange my lifting as Im sure this will all catch up with my CNS eventually

Would highly recommend. Then do the other upper/lower lift as assistance 3x5 but a bit lighter than you would have if doing it starting strength style. So-

Overhead press 5/3/1
Bench 3x5

Squat 5/3/1
Deadlift 3x5

Bench 5/3/1
Press 3x5

Dead 5/3/1
Squat 3x5

Add in some pulling motions like rows and pull-ups on upper days, and maybe core work and lunges or something for legs.

Back