Need some advice: left arm won't lock out when pressing.

KnightTemplar

Green(Goblin)Belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score
Back in February, I was rushed into the hospital after developing a dangerously high fever. It turned out that Chemotherapy had severely compromised my immune system, and my left shoulder had become infected. I was told my condition was life-threatening and I needed surgery to drain the shoulder joint and cut away the infected tissue/bone.

The operation was successful but even now, six months down the line, the mobility in my left shoulder is still very much reduced. I can't raise my left arm over my head. I can lock out my left arm if I'm lying on my back, as long as I'm not holding anything. But I can't lock out an empty Olympic bar on my left side. Even baby-weight dumbbells are damn near impossible to lock out.

Looking for advice on A)Rehab and B)Training around this problem while I'm trying to fix it. It's only effecting my Pressing movements. I can still do Rows etc without any problems.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Back in February, I was rushed into the hospital after developing a dangerously high fever. It turned out that Chemotherapy had severely compromised my immune system, and my left shoulder had become infected. I was told my condition was life-threatening and I needed surgery to drain the shoulder joint and cut away the infected tissue/bone.

The operation was successful but even now, six months down the line, the mobility in my left shoulder is still very much reduced. I can't raise my left arm over my head. I can lock out my left arm if I'm lying on my back, as long as I'm not holding anything. But I can't lock out an empty Olympic bar on my left side. Even baby-weight dumbbells are damn near impossible to lock out.

Looking for advice on A)Rehab and B)Training around this problem while I'm trying to fix it. It's only effecting my Pressing movements. I can still do Rows etc without any problems.

Thanks in advance.
Did they....not offer you some type of physical therapy and rehab following surgery?

Did they....not offer you some type of physical therapy and rehab following surgery?

I was lucky to get five minutes with the surgeon after they finished cutting:rolleyes:

To be fair, the NHS is under enormous strain, and they saved my life, which is of course the main thing. Physiotherapy is available, but the waiting list is very long.

For some weird reason, I can lock out both arms while, "benching" on the Smith Machine. Although I hesitate to use that term; pressing on a Smith Machine is so different from real Benching they are barely even the same lift.

For some weird reason, I can lock out both arms while, "benching" on the Smith Machine. Although I hesitate to use that term; pressing on a Smith Machine is so different from real Benching they are barely even the same lift.
Is the problem your shoulder or elbow? If you can bench and get full extension, I'm guessing the shoulder is the issue. Much less demand on shoulder mobility during bench press movements

Is the problem your shoulder or elbow? If you can bench and get full extension, I'm guessing the shoulder is the issue. Much less demand on shoulder mobility during bench press movements

Definitely, the shoulder that limits my movement. I think that might be why Smith Machine allows me to lock out, as it doesn't require the stabiliser muscles.

Definitely, the shoulder that limits my movement. I think that might be why Smith Machine allows me to lock out, as it doesn't require the stabiliser muscles.
If your shoulder travels much during a regular barbell bench press, there's definitely a technical fault. Scapula should be pinched and locked together throughout the movement.

Back