Need help with that heel hook..

YOu need to understand what a heel hook is and where the pain is caused. I would recommend for you not to do in sparring until you learn this

the-spellr said:
So! an update guys!
Just finished practice at my new gym.. I went to train only bjj and quit the rest.. Never been good at the whole accurate punching..
Grappling class is really fun! I got the heelhook now..
Locked up his thie real good and locked it up, started rolling, he rolled along and tried to get a toe hold or whatever..
So, im just learning this new stuff, and I was told not to crank or do anything to make the guy tap, just lock in submission and not extend, coach overlooked all the time and gave directions!
It was tough.. and so much more fun when you didn't have to worry bout the pain!
BJJ is fun!

There you go! Now you didnt come of as such an djerk-off! Not so hard was it..?;)

Be carefull with the heelhook! You dont want to cripple a trainingpartner for life now do you..

There are a few of us grapplers who thinks you should add leglocks directly in training, dont give us an bad name kid..;) (personally I feel that you should wait with the twisting leglocks though..)

practice leglocks plenty, but please be VERY careful with the heel hook. dont do it on anyone who is a beginner too, because they might roll the wrong way and kill their acl.

Beginners doing heel hooks already? Wow.. where is your gym located. I can't wait to join!!

Soid said:
Beginners doing heel hooks already? Wow.. where is your gym located. I can't wait to join!!

actually when i first started learning submission grappling my brother taught me the achilles and heel hook from day one, but he warned me to be very careful with them. i heeded this warning and i have never had any problems, two years later and many training partners later. it all depends who you are teaching, really. i actually read an (okay dont shoot me for reading this article) from inside kung fu that talked about martial arts being an avenue for bad people in gangs and stuff to use the arts negatively even though they're not intended to be used that way... i could see the same thing with moves like heel hooks and neck cranks in BJJ. dont teach em to the wrong people because they'll use it the wrong way, but for 80% of us normal people, it's okay for us to use em.

the-spellr said:
I got this one guy in an armbar which made him scream and his shoulder almost popped.. but that was beacuase he was use to GI and plus this guy didn't do any weight lifting against me who benches and does full fitness training 4 times a week.. I consider that coming unprepared, which a athlete never should!
http://bjj.org/techniques/cesar/sub5/ -this was very helpful, check it out!
what exactly does weight lifting have to do with anything? i don't do any weights, and im a tiny tiny guy, yet i outbox and outgrapple the bigass fitness dudes with biceps the size of my head. they're clumsy, slow and have no technique.

don't consider yourself arona just because you can force out a kimura on someone less powerful than you.

Dude, if you don't have someone who knows what he's doing the heelhook, don't attempt to learn by yourself. It's a good way to permanently and accidentally fuck up somone's knee.

Seriously, don't let your enthusiasm get the better of you. There's a reason why the heelhook is banned in almost every type of sport grappling and most schools prohibit it.

my prediction:

someday, not far from now...you're going to attempt to hurt somebody better than you while rolling.

they'll notice, and they'll hold that choke past the point where you tap to get back at you.

you'll pass out and shit your pants, and everyone will laugh.

if you're wondering why people are just bashin the heel hook left rght and center is becuase it is so dangerous. the important thing that you should know is that alot of the time before you feel any pain at all, there can be severe damage to the knee and its surrounding ligiments.

this is a very dangerous leg lock to be playing around with and it makes it that much worse when you say you want to crank it until it really hurts the person, by the time it starts to hurt it may be too late. like someone said before its a good idea to stay away from twisting leg locks all together during all sparring.

Back