Need help with Nautilus program.

Status
Not open for further replies.

edco76

huh?
Platinum Member
Reaction score
I am about to start doing some strength training. Mostly for fitness but would like to gain a bit of strength and mass as well. Problem is that my town is so small we don't have a gym. What we do have is a Community Center with a "gym" that has a treadmill and a bunch of Nautilus equipment. I know that free weights are preferable but I don't have the space or budget for a home gym and driving 20 miles to the closest gym will be setting myself up for failure. So what I got, is what I got.

My second problem is that I am a weight lifting noob. I built houses for years, so after 40+ hours of lifting lumber and tools all day I didn't need the weights. I was always in shape. Now I am a desk jockey and have slowly just added on the pounds and lost not only my physique but strength as well. I'm 31 so if I don't get it back now I may never. I don't have any idea how many reps/sets to do, how much weight to lift, or how often to work muscle groups. I will be devoting 3 days a week to my weight training (too little?)

Any help/advise will be appreciated.

go to rosstraining.com

Dude your probably good at building stuff so why don't you build a log press? You can also squat with a log if you build a stand for it. Don't use machines be creative with whats around you to lift heavy things.

You won't find much help with the Nautilus here.

I'd recommend making a sandbag out of a duffel bag and about 120 lb of sand in plastic bags.

Nobody here endorses machines. On Rosstraining.com you can order a book called Never Gymless that gives you enough bodyweight exercises to get in shape. That site also gives you information on homemade implements (e.g. sandbags) that are more effective than machines at achieving any strength related goal.

Thanks for the advise guys. I will check out the link. I knew the machines weren't preferred but I wasn't aware they were that frowned upon.

I am willing to endorse machines if somebody is willing to pay me to do so.

Try the perfect pushup bars.

They were designed by a NAVY SEAL!
They also mimic the motion of a punch and come with a navy seal inspired workout plan.

i'm not sure which nautilus machines there even are but i remember there being like a million different ones.

try to avoid the exotic ones like reverse preacher arm extensions and use the ones that replicate compound movments like the squat, row and bench press if you can.

also, keep in mind that no weight routine is going to take your added pounds off. you just can't replicate 8 hours of manual labor, so youre going to have to change your diet.

As everyone else mentioned...with Never Gymless by Ross, a sandbag, and an olympic barbell with 300 lbs. that can be purchased for around $100, you really can't go wrong.

I also gather that you're a carpenter? You probably could easily contruct squat stands. If not, saw horses are a cheaper and less time consuming alternative.

Or you could buy this kind of thing:

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Kcz0MLLizeY&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Kcz0MLLizeY&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

i'm not sure which nautilus machines there even are but i remember there being like a million different ones.

try to avoid the exotic ones like reverse preacher arm extensions and use the ones that replicate compound movments like the squat, row and bench press if you can.

also, keep in mind that no weight routine is going to take your added pounds off. you just can't replicate 8 hours of manual labor, so youre going to have to change your diet.

Thanks for the response.
They have about 15 weight machines as well as several cardio machines (bikes/steppers) They seem to have most of the basic machines that replicate common exercises. Bench press, butterfly, curl, an ab thing you do crunches on, and a leg curl machine.

As for the weight; Its really not a big deal. I am talking 15-20 pounds which I have actually lost before. I usually diet for a month and lose the weight then slowly gain it back and lose it again every 6 months or so. I want to do the weight training because even when I am at my target weight of 175 or so. I don't look as fit as I would like.

Have you considered lifting the machines? If you aren't strong enough just tipping them over is a good start, and you'll be doing a service to the community!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back