Need help with jab defense.

im not a fan of that, if you slip inside,most good fighters are going to make you pay for it with a right hand or a left hook.i much prefer slipping to the outside

Slipping to the outside is always better but you cant keep doing it and get predictable, your gonna have to slip to the inside every once in a while. That same inside slip to uppercut counter is a favourite of MAB.

Slipping to the outside is always better but you cant keep doing it and get predictable, your gonna have to slip to the inside every once in a while. That same inside slip to uppercut counter is a favourite of MAB.

bingo

the slip to the inside can work; it's not as likely to work as the outside slip due to the nature of the tech, slipping the tech and entering into your opponents wheelhouse is a dangerous proposition (much moreso when facing a legit guy..but even when facing a suspect guy).

that being said it does work, a)because its unexpected, i.e. goes against the grain of what the majority of guys PURPOSELY do, and b)cus it gets u past your opp first line of def and inside w/wide open shots to head or body.

in my experience it works, but much like any other tech it has varying degrees of success based on the frequency you use it, your ability to execute and situation when it's used. U can use the outside slip much more often and most people stick strictly w/that one; but once they start timing and looking for that outside slip and you slip inside and fire your gonna get them cus they aren't looking for you to do it, much less do it w/the intentions of putting in work.

You can slip the jab...have someone throw jabs at your face and just move your head slight to the right or slightly to the left.

You can parry it by opening the face of your right glove (if you're an orthodox fighter) and catching or popping the incoming jab...sugar ray leonard used this tactic quite a bit

You can rock your upperbody back away from the incoming jab

Or perhaps the best suggestion is be aware of when your in range of your opponents jab and simply dont stand there until you're ready to get off your combinations.

The Boxing Bible for MMA eBook

Assuming you are both orthodox, You should learn to throw a stiff counter jab with your head off centered to your right. Almost out of a crouch, So that his jab goes over your left shoulder, missing your head, and your jab travels on a straight line to his face.

It stops them in their tracks if they advance on you in a straight line. Its also a relatively safe jab to throw as it keeps your head outside of his lead arm and out of line for his straight right, since you're kind of anxious about getting hit and all. But that doesnt mean you can take your eyes off him when you're executing this technique. Once you've felt the jab land you've got to be ready to move.

I've been sparring for a while now but am still trying to get down my technique. I like to use this technique, especially since I am short and don't have to crouch much, but I always have a hard time following it up. After you slip to the right and throw the counterjab, what options do you have? I know my opponents left side is open to bodyshots, but is the head a viable option from here due to speed and timing?

what I do is parry the jab with my right hand, throw a jab or maybe a combo that starts with a jab. works fine. hope you kick ass next time.

I had the same problem when i started going. Im only 5'9 and while that seems kinda average, everyone there seems somehow taller :icon_conf

Just add some jabs of your own to mix it up. Kicks too. Move your head, Always move it. Not necesarily in any specific motion all of the time, but keep it swaying a little bit to be ready. Try to Slip Outside jabs and straight, take the angle and step in and attack them from the inside. Get Low and throw uppercuts if its a much taller person.
But just make sure you throw stuff of your own to keep it even and force him to be a little bit defensive, so he'll lighten up on the jab some.

Back