Need help with jab defense.

Lionidas

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I did some light sparring this morning in my boxing class and I have to be honest....I did terrible.

My partner realized his jab was too fast for me and I ate about 4-5 jabs in our short session. They weren't painful but they were stunning me for a split second each time and I couldn't see where his next punches would come from.
I tried blocking by putting my gloves closer together but ended up just turtling after the first jab got through.

Yes, I'm new to sparring and I do pretty well with blocking other shots but that jab....I ate it for breakfast. :mad:

p.s. I'm a short fighter, about 5'7 and my reach is 71".

try to slip or parry his jab or try to do this

move your head.
Keep your right hand higher
Make sure youre not sitting inside his left side.

Alot of people make the last mistake.

you could move to the sides as soon as he throws the jab and counter him.

also take in mind he might have longer arms than you, so you have to take the chances to attack first.

don't forget switch to the sides and counter.

when he is jabbing and you are turtling up are you allowing him to push you back.don't do this if you must move ,move forward or sideways

the avatar is carl frochs wife

You have to work on your footwork and move around. It sounds like you are standing right in front of your opponent. That makes you a sitting target. Also keep your hands up and work on your head movement. If your head is still then you are going to get hit.

Here are tons of videos on youtube:
YouTube - Pat Miletich: Defense - Slipping inside the jab[/url]

LOL - I used to know how to embed vids but I haven't been around here in forever!! You will have to C/P it. If you don't like this one then there are a shitload of videos on the side of the screen. Lot's of good advice.
Good luck!

Last edited:
Thanks guys, awesome replies so far.

I definitely need to move my head more and step to his non-power side.
Honestly, after the initial jab I tended to step backward out of pure instinct.

Bad habit of mine...

Some good advice so far boys.

You also have Mike Tyson's cures for that particular ailment. He primarily moved forward while constantly slipping his head. He never really gave his opponent a steady target and when he made his opponent miss, because he moved forward at the same time, he was inside for a counter punch.

The other thing that he did was loop his overhand right while he slipped to the inside off his opponents jab. It worked so well because he always tried to stay inside of his opponents comfortable range for the jab. Most people who work off of the jab have a set point they work from. It's a comfortable distance that they practice from. Tyson would make them work from an uncomfortable distance, just inside where they wanted him to be.

Basically, what I am getting at is, you need to have better head movement than his jab. It's the short fighter's antidote against reach.

Thanks guys, awesome replies so far.

I definitely need to move my head more and step to his non-power side.
Honestly, after the initial jab I tended to step backward out of pure instinct.

Bad habit of mine...

nah dude, it's human.

It's actually a good sign, because it shows that you have naturally sharp reflexes, its just re-training them move properly.

im not a fan of that, if you slip inside,most good fighters are going to make you pay for it with a right hand or a left hook.i much prefer slipping to the outside

that kid is now undefeated with 22kos

Honestly dont fucking listen to Miletich, i dont trust that bullshit standup he preaches.

You step inside a jab, youre getting your shit pushed in.

im not a fan of that, if you slip inside,most good fighters are going to make you pay for it with a right hand or a left hook.i much prefer slipping to the outside

that kid is now undefeated with 22kos

I'm really liking that 2nd video with David Lemieux. Thanks for the link. :icon_chee

Much more helpful and practical than the militech one.
I just gota practice that slip more.

Honestly most advice I see on this forum is a bit advanced for a beginner who has just started sparring (except for the Ross Anber video above, Ross is awesome)

Lionidas - you said your problem is instinctively stepping backwards. So your task before you do anything else is just hold your hands up and block, and not close your eyes, and if you step back it's a CONTROLLED step with EYES OPEN focusing on your opponent.

None of this slipping and countering crap means jack shit if you can't do that first.

After you stop closing your eyes you should definitely work on parrying before slipping. Parrying is a better pure defensive technique, and slipping is more advanced because it usually leads to counters.

Slipping by itself is a waste of energy, and a lot of people like to slip "because it looks cool" where they should have parried. Once you get your parries down then start working on the slipping to set up counters.

Last edited:
When I'm getting out-boxed my coach calls out
"use your JAB!".

Use your jab and footwork to shut his jab down.

Like others have said, head movement is important. I find it helpfull to practice head movement in the mirror so you can see yourself. Sometimes you think you are moving your head a lot when you really arent. Changing levels is also helpful, if its muay thai only slightly since you leave yourself open to knees. Also the most basic rule, chin down hands up. I find if you are going to get punched its less painful to get hit on the top of the head or the forehead rather than in the nose, eyes, mouth etc. Obviously you don't wanna get hit in the first place but you know what I mean.

I'm really liking that 2nd video with David Lemieux. Thanks for the link. :icon_chee

Much more helpful and practical than the militech one.
I just gota practice that slip more.

The first counter in that Russ Anber clip (the catch->jab) is extremely useful and one of the easier counters to learn. I feel reasonably comfortable with my slips but still use that counter all the time. The two important things to remember are to not stick the right hand out too far (turn your hand and "catch" the punch like a baseball player catches a ball), and try to make your jab land instantaneously... Like right after you catch his jab, and before your opponent brings his jabbing hand back.

If you want to practice slips, I'd recommend slip->jab instead of slip->overhand right. The former is a staple and you will use it a lot. The latter is a lot trickier to pull off and probably not what you want to start out with.

I agree with ambertch's last post, too.

Assuming you are both orthodox, You should learn to throw a stiff counter jab with your head off centered to your right. Almost out of a crouch, So that his jab goes over your left shoulder, missing your head, and your jab travels on a straight line to his face.

It stops them in their tracks if they advance on you in a straight line. Its also a relatively safe jab to throw as it keeps your head outside of his lead arm and out of line for his straight right, since you're kind of anxious about getting hit and all. But that doesnt mean you can take your eyes off him when you're executing this technique. Once you've felt the jab land you've got to be ready to move.

also, a vital technique that posters before have mentioned that i forgot..

As you are using this jab, it is also good (necessary) to use it in conjunction with a right handed Parry. Remember how i said his jab passes over your left shoulder? Well thats with the help of your right hand deflecting his jab over your shoulder. The better you time the parry, the more effect the misdirection will have. It also increases the force of your counter jab, since more of his weight is committed forward when you made him whiff on his jab.

Its not easy shit to master, but thats jab defense 101, straight out of the the textbook.

Back