Need help in deciding what style

TheSecondRush

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
I've been a fan of MMA for about 6 months now and I want to actually start training, In your opinion what is the best striking style to complement Wrestling (which I have done for 6 years) and Jiu-Jitsu (I will be starting soon). I'm 5 foot 10 inches, 160 pounds, I have about 8-10 percent body fat, and I have a VERY strong upperbody. Any thoughts are appreciated thanks!

We could speak hypothetically all day, but I think we'd all be more help to you if we knew which schools/instructors are in your area as well as your attributes.

*edit* I will say that you probably won't go wrong if you find a good boxing club though.

Ha, no thanks for Dim Mak, I'm looking for more in the Boxing, Kickboxing, or Mauy Thai areas

America is only really good at boxing, so if youre in the US go boxing.

America is only really good at boxing?
Really so instead of taking a Mauy thai class at my local gym should i go to thia land instead??? hahaha jk
I dont like that attitude you should be like anything your country dose America can do it better. hahahah

America is only really good at boxing, so if youre in the US go boxing.

We have some solid imports in the US that have gyms. Boxing is probably your best bet for finding a quality gym that isn't too far though.

If you are interested in doing MMA I would say that a combination of Boxing and Muay Thai would do you well. If you can, try both and see which one you enjoy more and focus on that one. Afterwards if you are still serious about MMA you can train in the other one to fill in the gaps. e.g. train boxing until you are really good and then do some muay thai to learn kicks/knees/elbows.

Both boxing and MT will be adequate for your needs. It's generally thought that boxing and wrestling go well together, while MT and BJJ work as a pair. That's not to say mixing them up is bad (it'd actually be better) but generally wrestlers like yourself do better in boxing. I'd say look around for the nearest boxing gym.

Muay Thai...an authentic Muay Thai trainer will teach you good boxing skills in addition to the kicks, knees and elbow strikes. Look at Chuck Liddell's punching power (he's from a kickboxing background).

Ok, thanks for all of the thoughts so far, I'm looking into some clubs and the best one that I could do would be Jeff Curran's, he's offering BJJ and Mauy Thai together for a cheaper price so I'd probably do that, any thoughts for that?

Muay Thai certainly. Will complement your upper body strength in clinch scenarios. Most potent striking discipline. Will teach you hands too.

Just what I think if your interested in MMA and mixing it up with ever thing you need to go Muay Thai Kickboxing if ya looking for good stand up you need to coordinate hands and feet. For full contact MMA this is what you need to look into it has choping kicks that will cut the meat off the bone.Defeststating knees which is the powful strike in the world.Elbows that cut the skin. To get the edge just like wrestling focus on angles,counters,pivete off the back foot,Ive fought in local boxing gyms,toughman,american kickboxing,muaythai,and sport karate,so I have seen alot of stand up. I hope all goes well with your training.

you can never go wrong with muay thai

This is untrue, You can never go wrong with Boxing but there are alot of Muay Thai McDojo's out there that were calling their classes fitness kickboxing untill about 2005 when MMA really took off!!

edit.

Last edited:
I'd go boxing.

For a few reasons, If your a good wrestler you really dont need to be as sharp with your leg kicks as if you were a stand up fighter.. AND if you train in boxing you can get your nerves out and in-experience with fighting by fighting in AM Boxing, before testing yourself in MMA..

Back