Need help in Chicago

Steeltowner

White Belt
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I was hoping someone can give some insight on training BJJ in the Chicagoland area. I am a total beginner but have been in love with the art since watching Royce a decade ago. I am currently training with a BJJ black belt in Chicago but unfortunately his class doesn't seem to be structured. The only thing I have truely learned in a few months is a few chokes from the mount and a few sweeps. I am wondering if I will ever learn anything that applicable in a street situation. I doubt that I could escape a headlock or a bear huhg at this point...which makes it pretty sad since I am dishing out a good chunck of change for BJJ. Anyhow, my question is this. ARE BJJ CLASSES GENERALLY NOT STRUCTURED? AM I LEARNING SPORT JIU JITSU? CAN ANYONE RECOMMEND AN ACADEMY IN THE CHICAGOLAND AREA WHO'S INSTRUCTOR(S) AREN'T IMPATIENT, KNOWELDGEABLE AND TEACH PRACTICAL JIU JITSU FOR SELF DEFENSE?

One of the posters here trains at Carlsons, he asnwered some questions I had about it in the past

i went to carlsons while in chicago, it was good to be there

What black belt are you training with???
The only BJJ blackbelts that I know of are at Carlson's and Curan's. Also I will train with you for free if you need training partners.

Bro, I saw the topic of your thread and must say anyone in Chicago needs help. I was there this summer and I just want to say that I so glad I am from Orange County because we have Mexicans here. In Chicago they have angry blacks who work fast food stores. Damn, they are rude. It's more like black women. Seriously, if you want attitude try to order something from a black woman. I LOVE MEXICANS!!!

Hey thanks guys. DreamKella, I sent ya a PM. I'd like to train whenever possibe. Anyhow, this weekend I'm going to try and visit some academies. TapstheKeg...I love Chicago, blacks, mexicans, jews, poles, irish, italians, arabs, they are all cool with me.

you could check out Force BJJ. website is www.madeyoutap.com its lists times and hours.
the class is very structured and priced well, and Sean builds the lessons on one another. a good group of guys. I train here.

I have also trained at carlsons, and there was a different instructor each time. they are good also. but cost much more.

then there is gracie barra i went there once and i wont go there again.

there is also a school called POW it has bjj and other arts that teach self defense shit.

I have also been to a couple nhb place around chicago too. and a judo place.

if you have any questions feel free to ask on here. also if you are intrested in force check it out and the forum.

hmmm force covers sport bjj, so its not what your looking for.

I dont know of any bjj places in chicagoland that cover self defense.

whatever your choice make sure there is sparring, and you participate, otherwise you will gain nothing.

I train at Carlson's. Everyone is great there. Most of the time Prof. Carlson is there except for maybe a week out of the month when he is out doing his thing. But make no mistake about it you will get trained by Carlson and Jr who is also a great person and teacher. They teach everything from sport bjj, mma, no gi and of course street shit. The money is a little steep but where else can you get training from a living legend like Carlson and roll with mma guys like Bonner and Miguel Torres? Like I always say if you could learn to paint from Picasso, Monet or Van Gogh. Why would you go anywhere else?

elmangler said:
I train at Carlson's. Everyone is great there. Most of the time Prof. Carlson is there except for maybe a week out of the month when he is out doing his thing. But make no mistake about it you will get trained by Carlson and Jr who is also a great person and teacher. They teach everything from sport bjj, mma, no gi and of course street shit. The money is a little steep but where else can you get training from a living legend like Carlson and roll with mma guys like Bonner and Miguel Torres? Like I always say if you could learn to paint from Picasso, Monet or Van Gogh. Why would you go anywhere else?

True Dat! I've always wanted to go train at Carlson's ever since he open his academy on New Orleans. He moved it to LaSalle. I might sign up. I hope they have parking. I've also heard that one of his black belts (pedro Vianna) has a school but someone mentioned that he was a jerk. I might have to find out for myself. Anyhow, thanks everyone for the suggestions! NOW MY QUESTION IS THIS. WHAT DO I LOOK FOR IN AN ACADEMY? Obviously, some of these academies (like Carlsons) have incredible credentials...BUT WHAT IN PARTICULAR SHOULD I LOOK OUT FOR AND WHAT DO I EXPECT TO PAY FOR 3 TIMES A WEEK JIU JITSU??????

thanks

elmangler said:
Well Said ! Go to Carlsons School ...........

I train at Carlson's. I believe the prices are $115/month for unlimited classes at all 3 Chicago area schools or $95/month for 2x a week at any 1 school.

Back