Need help dividing my routine into days.

SSJP

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I train MMA Tuesday and Thursday and sometimes Saturday mornings.

I've been doing all my upper body stuff on one day then squatting another and just recovering and doing this again. I dunno if I'm overtraining or what, but I haven't had a gain on the bench in a while. So basically, here's my routine

Bench 5x5
Upright Rows 3x5-8
Military Press 3x5-8
Clean and Press 3x5-8
BW Pullups to failure
BW Dips to failure

Thanks a bunch guys.

I just squat 5x5 and sometimes do plyos on squat days.

And I've read the stickies.

I'd scrap the upright rows and do squats on that day as well. I'd also start deadlifting soon.

I have a shitty lower back, which is why I haven't been deadlifting.

SSJP said:
I have a shitty lower back, which is why I haven't been deadlifting.

You might try going super-uber-light on DL. Like just the bar. Add weight slowly. Use good form.

^^^^^^^This advice is based on shitty meaning weak. If shitty means injured then go to a doctor.

SSJP said:

I've been doing all my upper body stuff on one day then squatting another and just recovering and doing this again. I dunno if I'm overtraining or what, but I haven't had a gain on the bench in a while. So basically, here's my routine

Bench 5x5
Upright Rows 3x5-8
Military Press 3x5-8
Clean and Press 3x5-8
BW Pullups to failure
BW Dips to failure

Thanks a bunch guys.
Would be a good idea to get with somebody that has a regular lifting routine alkready at the school and work out with them. Once you get a knack for it start to make up your own.

grapling101 said:
Would be a good idea to get with somebody that has a regular lifting routine alkready at the school and work out with them. Once you get a knack for it start to make up your own.

That sounds like a bad idea, i find that alot of people at fighting gyms still lift like flex magazing bodybuilder style, flys and 21's, 3x12 4 exercises per body part, feel the burn shit or low weight ultra high reps shit and 100 crunches a day. Most people have never heard of things like deadlifts, dumbell snatchs, dragon flags or buprees. It's sad to see what Joe Weider has done to strength training.

There's alot of very good information on this board, don't forget to search the archives.

Also Ross's books are worth every cent: www.rossboxing.com, "ulitmate training for the ultimate warrior" is more suited for MMA

SSJP said:
you train at AMMA? small chance but that's the bjj schedual for AMMA in Chapel Hill.

Nope.

And yeah, I'm the only lifter that I really train with. Training stops when wrestling season starts, and then back to training after wrestling.

And I just have a perenially bad lower back due to very minor scoliosis.

SSJP said:
Nope.

And yeah, I'm the only lifter that I really train with. Training stops when wrestling season starts, and then back to training after wrestling.

And I just have a perenially bad lower back due to very minor scoliosis.

At least you have a reason.

I swear to God 50% of the guys under 30 who ask me, "How do I get big?," when I answer, "Deadlifts," they say, "Nah, bad back."

I'm beginning to translate "I have a bad back" into "I'm a pussy who doesn't really want your help."

Many guys have all the reasons in the world why they don't squat and deadlift but do presses behind the neck, pulldown behind the neck and upright rows.

I only started doing upright rows 'cause I saw Couture doing them in a training montage and assumed they must be good. Guess I was wrong?

I like Upright Rows! I just like them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back