Need help choosing a good diet/exercise plan (non-fighter) please!!!

Here:
http://www.med.umich.edu/umim/clinical/pyramid/

For the "Grains" section, if you choose low-GI carbs (i.e. brans instead of corn flakes, brown rice instead of white rice, etc.), then this pyramid offers about the most simple diet to follow. After that, it's all calories.

Bizz said:
Forget the Atkins...its a bunch of bullshit as far as long term health.

I can attest to this. I lost 45 lbs on Atkins, but most was muscle and water weight. I gained it all back and then some within 9 months.

Diet:

Stay away from processed foods, sugars, whites, flour, etc. Try to eat more whole wheat carbs.

Eat 500 calories below your maintenance level. You can search online for calculators that will tell you your maintenance level. Anything lower than this can put you into starvation mode.

Eat often, 6-8 times a day. Eat smaller meals more frequently and healthy snacks.

Exercise:

Anything is better than nothing. Try to get 30-45 minutes a day 3-5x a week. It doesn't have to be strenuous, just get your heart rate up.

Lift weights if you can. Muscle helps burn fat.

b0b said:
I can attest to this. I lost 45 lbs on Atkins, but most was muscle and water weight. I gained it all back and then some within 9 months.

Diet:

Stay away from processed foods, sugars, whites, flour, etc. Try to eat more whole wheat carbs.

Eat 500 calories below your maintenance level. You can search online for calculators that will tell you your maintenance level. Anything lower than this can put you into starvation mode.

Eat often, 6-8 times a day. Eat smaller meals more frequently and healthy snacks.

Exercise:

Anything is better than nothing. Try to get 30-45 minutes a day 3-5x a week. It doesn't have to be strenuous, just get your heart rate up.

Lift weights if you can. Muscle helps burn fat.

Really?! You gained back all that weight and then some? Was it because you came off it quickly and didn't slowly, painstakingly (lol) reintroduce it like it says to? When my mother did it, she kept the weight off for almost 3 years... and she ate EVERYTHING! (Icecream, chips, you name it, she ate it, and she didn't gain a pound.) Yeah, I'm going to start eating some more 'grainy' type things. I am going to make myself a little protein shake right now actually! :D

BrittyHMS said:
Really?! You gained back all that weight and then some? Was it because you came off it quickly and didn't slowly, painstakingly (lol) reintroduce it like it says to? When my mother did it, she kept the weight off for almost 3 years... and she ate EVERYTHING! (Icecream, chips, you name it, she ate it, and she didn't gain a pound.) Yeah, I'm going to start eating some more 'grainy' type things. I am going to make myself a little protein shake right now actually! :D

I started at 205, went down to 160, then back up to 215. It slowly came back within 9 months. I slowly drifted away from the "low carb lifestyle" and realized that I could not sustain low amounts of carbs forever. If you aren't lifting regularly, don't drink protein shakes. Eat real protein foods like chicken breast or lean steak.

b0b said:
I started at 205, went down to 160, then back up to 215. It slowly came back within 9 months. I slowly drifted away from the "low carb lifestyle" and realized that I could not sustain low amounts of carbs forever. If you aren't lifting regularly, don't drink protein shakes. Eat real protein foods like chicken breast or lean steak.

Well, I call it a protein shake because it had 20g of protein, but it's really an Atkins shake, designed to be low-carb. :redface: I could use the protein though because I'm weak, tired, and I need to drag my lazy ass into school later today to get more work. hahahaha Plus, it's chocolate flavored, which will keep me from eating REAL chocolate, or chocolate covered strawberries... *slaps self* "Brittney, wake up! Don't even let yourself think about chocolate covered strawberries!" lol Anyway, what did you finally find to help you keep the weight off? Did you eat multigrain things too?

EDIT: *gets the chills* EWWWWWW! I just got a CHUNK of something in that Atkins shake! GROSS! bleh...

BrittyHMS said:
Well, I call it a protein shake because it had 20g of protein, but it's really an Atkins shake, designed to be low-carb. :redface: I could use the protein though because I'm weak, tired, and I need to drag my lazy ass into school later today to get more work. hahahaha Plus, it's chocolate flavored, which will keep me from eating REAL chocolate, or chocolate covered strawberries... *slaps self* "Brittney, wake up! Don't even let yourself think about chocolate covered strawberries!" lol Anyway, what did you finally find to help you keep the weight off? Did you eat multigrain things too?

EDIT: *gets the chills* EWWWWWW! I just got a CHUNK of something in that Atkins shake! GROSS! bleh...

Protein won't really help with energy, but anyways. I am still getting weight off and by no means am I an expert. I am to a healthy 195. I do BJJ and Judo on Monday, Wednesday, Friday, and Sunday. In the warm up, we do 50 crunches and 50 pushups. I am so fat and weak I can only do about 15 pushups in a row, but when I first started I could do about 5. The BJJ and Judo gets my cardio WAY up, and I can tell I am getting a lot of functional strength out of it. Once I get better at the grappling, I will trade a day of BJJ for a day of Muay Thai.

Occasionally, on Tuesdays or Saturdays I do a 15-30 minute weight routine with dumbells and bodyweight exercises.

I have tried running and jogging, but I got too bored and gave it up after 2 weeks.

I try to keep my diet in check. I eat as I described earlier, and in the morning I take a multi-vitamin, fish oil, and gluclosamine. When I get off work I take another fish oil and glucosamine. On the days I don't go to BJJ or Judo, I take 25mg of ephedrine and 200mg of caffeine in the morning to help curb my appetite.

I take 1 serving of CEE before doing my weight workout, and one serving after. Occasionally, I will have a protein shake.

Do you have an inhaler?

I also have exercise-induced asthma.

Madmick said:
Do you have an inhaler?

I also have exercise-induced asthma.

Inhailer, nebulizer, flovent, prednisone, etc., you name it, I have it! My asthma is triggered by more than just exercise. I've been on prednisone, which is a steriod (I appologize if you know that already, but some people don't, so I figured I'd clarify), quite a few times, but luckily I haven't had any lasting effects like weird hair growth or swelling of the face. What about you? Do you use albuterol?

BrittyHMS said:
THAT BEING SAID, I'm allergic to seafood. :redface: Especially shellfish and for some reason salmon. White fish seems to be okay the few times that I tried it, but I hate the taste. I do eat like salads with tuna and balsamic vinegar and oil on it. (I always make my own dressings, that way I know what's in it, and not all those weird sugars and fats that come from God knows where...)

1st meal (10 a.m.): 2 scrambled eggs (maybe with mozzrella cheese melted in), water
2nd meal (noon): Atkins protein bar (nutritional information: 8g fat, <5mg cholesterol, 330mg potassium, 21g total carbs, 7g fiber, 12g glycerin... so 2 net carbs total... 0g sugar, and 21g protein)
3rd meal (3 p.m.): Salad, either with tuna, or plain grilled chicken on it, dressings are either oil and vinegar, or some sort of light Italian.
4th meal (5 p.m.): Filet mignon (very lean... I can't stand fatty foods), or more chicken :( , and usually 2 vegetables (like carrots, broccoli, squash, etc.)
5th meal (7 p.m.): Something really small, like sugar-free jello with whipped cream

OH yes! It was the grapefruit diet that was up next...)
It looks ok, i liked how you have something in your system every 2 hours. Not a huge fan of the cheese with eggs, i would like to see more carbs in that meal, maybe a small bowl of oatmeal or cereal and with 3 egg whites. Your 1st meal should have a lot of slow buring carbs to fule your mornings.

I like jello too, but that's not a meal.

how about some more fruits, esp after your work-outs. OH and i read a study that grapefruit does help with weight lost. But with a balance diet, don't go crazy and a whole grapefruit diet on us here.

And if you have the time and are able, take a nice long walk! walking can burn cals, anything active. a nice easy swim (i'm not asking for laps) (oh and also we need pic of you doing it so we can make sure that you are doing what we're asking you to do. I mean we spend all this time helping you and all........ :D ) the more active you are, the faster you'll start losing the weight.

Diets are simple, there are no tricks. You just have to stick with it, and work hard. Losing weight or gaining mass is 95% mental, cause you'll have to work hard at it during all times of the day!

Anywasy good luck and if you have anymore questions just ask on the board.
Good job joining the gym!

BrittyHMS said:
Okay, here's one more group of questions for anyone here who knows a lot about muscles or women's muscles in particular...

What can you do to get these legs? http://photos1.blogger.com/img/173/1225/640/cc-0710JessWalks.jpg

How can you build up your butt? Is it just squats and lunges?

And, are crunches the best way to flatten your abs without making them bulky???

Thanks. :wink:

How can you build up your butt?
lots! deep squats, dead lifts, roman chair back extentions ........when you join the gym ask them, they'll be glad to help you. Plus they'll be there to make sure you do it right. Cause with legs, form is everything, esp with a bad back.

Flatten your abs without making them bulky?
Do lots of them! To make them bulky you add weights. When i work abs, i do about >300 in total. but that's over 10 sets of 30reps, and like 3 different kinds of ab exercise. But start slow and work your way up

b0b said:
Protein won't really help with energy, but anyways. I am still getting weight off and by no means am I an expert. I am to a healthy 195. I do BJJ and Judo on Monday, Wednesday, Friday, and Sunday. In the warm up, we do 50 crunches and 50 pushups. I am so fat and weak I can only do about 15 pushups in a row, but when I first started I could do about 5. The BJJ and Judo gets my cardio WAY up, and I can tell I am getting a lot of functional strength out of it. Once I get better at the grappling, I will trade a day of BJJ for a day of Muay Thai.

Occasionally, on Tuesdays or Saturdays I do a 15-30 minute weight routine with dumbells and bodyweight exercises.

I have tried running and jogging, but I got too bored and gave it up after 2 weeks.

I try to keep my diet in check. I eat as I described earlier, and in the morning I take a multi-vitamin, fish oil, and gluclosamine. When I get off work I take another fish oil and glucosamine. On the days I don't go to BJJ or Judo, I take 25mg of ephedrine and 200mg of caffeine in the morning to help curb my appetite.

I take 1 serving of CEE before doing my weight workout, and one serving after. Occasionally, I will have a protein shake.
It's hard eh, i'm trying to work in BJJ into my week. Full time job 5 days of weights, 3 days Judo as it is. And don't quit jogging, just bring an ipod with you!

monkey roll said:
It's hard eh, i'm trying to work in BJJ into my week. Full time job 5 days of weights, 3 days Judo as it is. And don't quit jogging, just bring an ipod with you!

Yes, my fiance is pissed. I work a 40 hour week, and am hardly ever home. I quit jogging since I added the martial arts.

monkey roll said:
It looks ok, i liked how you have something in your system every 2 hours. Not a huge fan of the cheese with eggs, i would like to see more carbs in that meal, maybe a small bowl of oatmeal or cereal and with 3 egg whites. Your 1st meal should have a lot of slow buring carbs to fule your mornings.

I like jello too, but that's not a meal.

how about some more fruits, esp after your work-outs. OH and i read a study that grapefruit does help with weight lost. But with a balance diet, don't go crazy and a whole grapefruit diet on us here.

And if you have the time and are able, take a nice long walk! walking can burn cals, anything active. a nice easy swim (i'm not asking for laps) (oh and also we need pic of you doing it so we can make sure that you are doing what we're asking you to do. I mean we spend all this time helping you and all........ :D ) the more active you are, the faster you'll start losing the weight.

Diets are simple, there are no tricks. You just have to stick with it, and work hard. Losing weight or gaining mass is 95% mental, cause you'll have to work hard at it during all times of the day!

Anywasy good luck and if you have anymore questions just ask on the board.
Good job joining the gym!

Thank you!! Thank you!!! I'll try that, and this gym that I'm joining has a huge indoor heated pool (and it should for over $200 per month). I almost gave into my cravings tonight, but I just ate my trusty whipped cream instead! lol Tomorrow I'm starting off a new day with... dare I say it?!... MULTIGRAIN BREAD!!!!!!!!!!! hahaha Tonight I ate a salad with tuna and balsamic vinegar and oil, plus some green beans. I couldn't exercise though because my back is bugging me, making my hands are numb. :( Tomorrow I'm going to try though. Perhaps I'll motivate myself by walking through the mall. The prize? A nice new pair of shoes, or perhaps an outfit one size smaller than I usually wear. :D Thanks again! I'll keep everyone updated!

BrittyHMS said:
Thank you!! Thank you!!! I'll try that, and this gym that I'm joining has a huge indoor heated pool (and it should for over $200 per month). I almost gave into my cravings tonight, but I just ate my trusty whipped cream instead! lol Tomorrow I'm starting off a new day with... dare I say it?!... MULTIGRAIN BREAD!!!!!!!!!!! hahaha Tonight I ate a salad with tuna and balsamic vinegar and oil, plus some green beans. I couldn't exercise though because my back is bugging me, making my hands are numb. :( Tomorrow I'm going to try though. Perhaps I'll motivate myself by walking through the mall. The prize? A nice new pair of shoes, or perhaps an outfit one size smaller than I usually wear. :D Thanks again! I'll keep everyone updated!

200 a fucking month? jesus....

I mean I have family who go to similar "athletic clubs"...I personaly don't get it but to each their own I supose.

I hope that comes with your own cabana boy or somthing

Bizz said:
200 a fucking month? jesus....

I mean I have family who go to similar "athletic clubs"...I personaly don't get it but to each their own I supose.

I hope that comes with your own cabana boy or somthing

Maybe it comes with a personal trainner? i know some gyms like that. wow $200 a month; must be nice.

Check to see if you have a local YMCA. They are usually around 30-50 bucks a month. Most have nice facilities, but some are real crapholes as well.

monkey roll said:
Maybe it comes with a personal trainner? i know some gyms like that. wow $200 a month; must be nice.

haha Yeah, it does come with a personal trainer, but I like bringing my own (I went to high school with him). That way, when I start complaining and acting like I can't do any more, he's not afraid to tell me to shut up, stop being a whimp, and get back working! hahah :D It also comes with tanning passes (which I doubt I will use, as I already have that Italian, olive tan), a huge pool, sauna, and separate rooms designed for their own exercise equiptment (i.e. one room has 50 treadmills, the next one has 35 upper-body machines, after that there's one with all free weights, etc.). I don't know, but it seems pretty good, so I decided to go there. :D It's free for the first 2 weeks, so if it sucks, I don't have to stick with it.

My question was, should I drink a protein shake, or have something with protein in it, before I work out if I want to build muscle in my back (to help with my back problems) and in my butt (to make it look a little rounder)?

If you are trying to lose fat, then you need a calorie deficit. If you are working your ass off to burn 300 calories in the gym, then drink protein shakes that add up to 300 calories, you have defeated the point of the workout.

With that said, I would say eat the protein immediately after if you are dead set on doing it.

It's up to you I take it before and after my work-outs. REMEMBER the shakes have calories. As long as it fits into your target range it's ok.
Most proteins are already low in fats and carbs, but it never hurts to double check and ready the back of the lable.

Back