• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Need Advice On Gelling Technique Together

WhiteMousse

Silver Belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score
I'm new to BJJ. They're consistently pairing me up with a guy who's four inches taller than me and about 60 lbs heavier. I'm getting my ass beat. It's awesome.

I need you guys to tell me if I'm retarded, or if it just takes time to turn "steps" for technique into just the technique itself, one fluid motion. Right now I'm just doing "steps." As such, it would be very easy for someone to just jerk violently and break the sequence.

My advantage is my cardio, and the fact that I never quit.

A very common problem. And also one with a very easy solution - train more.

Could a 'man on the streetcar' take up a brush an reproduce a mona lisa on command? What advice, instruction, or set of directions at that moment in time would result in such a feat? None; he would need to develop his ability to manipulate a brush in the first place, before questions of what way to manipulate it can become relevant.

Last edited:
There are some moves that are effectively a single movement. Like a scissor sweep.

But there are some moves that are better thought of as a series of steps. Most armbars from mount fit this description. There are checkpoints you need to hit, and you're better off doing it very slowly with lots of pressure than trying to do it "fast" and "fluidly", and inadvertently create space.

When I was getting into BJJ, one of the wisdoms was, "Slow is smooth, and smooth is fast."

Instead of focusing on ''steps'', I've found that stacking principles together works best for me. Stuff like fight for the inside, get your frames in, improve your grips, send him where he can't post, control the head, make him support your weight whenever possible, don't let your arms cross the center line, ...

The best one: if you feel like you're off balance, you are, stupid.

Over time positive stuff starts to happen. The downside is you can't really explain why, woops.

I'm new to BJJ. They're consistently pairing me up with a guy who's four inches taller than me and about 60 lbs heavier. I'm getting my ass beat. It's awesome.

I need you guys to tell me if I'm retarded, or if it just takes time to turn "steps" for technique into just the technique itself, one fluid motion. Right now I'm just doing "steps." As such, it would be very easy for someone to just jerk violently and break the sequence.

For things that are just one smooth movement you need more repetitions.
For moves that are actually a sequence of steps you need to be able to control and be able to hold them there at each step. For somethings you sometimes need to change to some other technique midway.

Specific spar the position or movement. Find a friend after or before class, ask them if you can drill with them for 3-5 minutes. If you hit it, reset. If he escapes, reset. Ask them to give you enough resistance that you can hit the move with difficulty. Intensify until you can hit with full resistance. Here's a video on the topic.

It will come to you with time. You just need more reps if you are working on a single technique. Your body needs to get used to what you are doing. Probably everything you are doing is a new motion for your body. Just remember, if you cannot do something slowly you will not be able to do it quickly.

I am going to make the assumption you are paired with the big guy because you are going pretty damn hard. You won't get better at the techniques if you are just muscling through things. Going hard should come much later.

It's hard to get techniques and steps right when you are just learning if you are red lining. You actually can't learn once you get past a certain heart rate and will get better if you dial it back a bit.

My advice...

too much mind...stop thinking about doing the technique exactly how it was taught to you and start feeling when to do it and go for it...

Alot of new guys get caught up in the details and forget to just try ..not every move is gunna happen perfectly or how you imagine but learning how it feels when it finally clicks or when you time it perfectly is priceless it opens your mind to many possibilities..

Keep training and don't get too far into your mind...just let the roll/match unfold and the openings will appear , fluidity comes from movement where rigidity comes from thinking too much...you will develop fluidity by doing...not thinking

There are two things that helped me work on Gelling techniques:
1. Practice smoothing out your techniques. A technique is a series of steps beginning with the "Setup". Lots of people forget the "Setup". If you work on smoothing it out, you'll execute without even thinking about it. Don't get me wrong, doing the technique quickly isn't doing it smoothly. "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast".
2. Using a "Mind Map". It helps you visualize your options from a position. How many times have you gotten to a position, lets say side control and think "What now?" You will see the Mind Map with your Mind's Eye and select a technique more quickly. Once you build your Mind Map, refresh your memory by executing all the techniques from all the positions "you know". If you don't remember the technique well or you're execute it clumsily, you now what to work on.

begin to follow him around and learn his daily routines and who he loves most, then use this information to burrow into his psyche and impose your will in his reality

My advice...

too much mind...stop thinking about doing the technique exactly how it was taught to you and start feeling when to do it and go for it...

Alot of new guys get caught up in the details and forget to just try ..not every move is gunna happen perfectly or how you imagine but learning how it feels when it finally clicks or when you time it perfectly is priceless it opens your mind to many possibilities..

Keep training and don't get too far into your mind...just let the roll/match unfold and the openings will appear , fluidity comes from movement where rigidity comes from thinking too much...you will develop fluidity by doing...not thinking

Agree 1000%

As we used to say here (and this is with much love)

StFUaT

Agree 1000%

As we used to say here (and this is with much love)

StFUaT

This is definitely a "Shut the Fuck Up and Train" situation.

And we say that with all due respect.

It's not unusual for it to take a few years for that smoothness to develop.

Give it time. Just keep training.

Just do the technique faster not even kidding. You can always slow it down if you feel like you’re getting too sloppy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RuralAttacker25
Back